• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'02 800 overheating

K
Oct 17, 2015
Pops sled is a '02 800 ext to a 136" and last year had problems with overheating on trails. Has anyone added an extra cooler to it? Mount it inside the tunnel?

Any suggestions help as we will be starting to mess with the sleds in the next week.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
What was the track length before, a 121 ? Has tunnel ext. and you moved the heat exchanger back too?
Sled has scratchers ? Move those back.
Does it boil out, or just the temp light comes on ?
If ridden on hard pack trails, put a few picks in the track.
This season empty and put in new coolant, check/change the W/P drive belt, new thermostat.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Overheating

I had a 2002 Edge 500 that I extended to 136. I installed the Polaris kit with a rear heat exchanger under the seat storage area. Remove the seat, cut your openings, rivet, reinstall hoses and coolant and away you go. Very effective.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
02 cooling

Last resort, check to see if the WP impeller has come loose. Pretty common. Pull the Pipe, y Pipe and drain the coolant. Remove the lower coolant manifold on the block that is held on with 2 Y brackets and has a large hose coming out of the WP. Remove the housing and the impeller is underneath. Held on by a nylock nut and they come loose. Replace the impeller while you are at it. IF loose they wear the flats on the bore out and they won't grip the shaft right.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Yep, the water pump impellar nut backs out and allows the impellar to hit and freeze up on the bottom side of the water pump cover. You would then need one new gasket, one new impellar and one new impellar nylon lock nut. Check for leaks of the water pump, by looking for coolant dripping out of the hole directly beneath the water pump. Then it gets much more difficult to repair. The bearings also go out in the water pumps with about 3000 miles on them.

Premium Features