• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge and Gen II rear skid the same?

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
Are the edge rear skids and the Gen II rear skids interchangeable as far as parts and rails and all that good stuff?

I know the torque arms look different but are they the same length and would a Gen II skid bolt to an edge chassis without modifications and would it work the same?

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
Well seems to be I answered my own questions by doing a little interweb searching ☹️

Dumb mistake didn't even think about it until after I bought the dang thing, left a message with holz to see what they say but I am pretty sure they are different enough I can't use it or at the very least I don't want to use it.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
2000 vs. 2002 Rear Skid

I installed an Edge skid on my 2000 XC. Had to relocate rear hanger. Used to be an ad on Craiglist of a guy that installed Edge skids under the older sleds to get them up in the back and add the extra travel that an Edge skid has over the stock.

It's not that hard to relocate the rear hanger on the tunnel, expecially if you have an Edge sled to use as your template.

Drill out rivets and reinstall. The front skid mount bolt can be your reference point.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What year Gen II? The 2000 and newer used the Xtra-Lite I believe which was a better transferring skid. The '99 and older used the Xtra-10 and you couldn't give me one of those.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
02 edge rmk and an 01 gen II holz rear suspension is specifically what I am after.

I bought a used holz skid assuming the edge used an extra lite also and after I bought guy the dang thing I remembered they are not the same and I can't return it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
What year Gen II? The 2000 and newer used the Xtra-Lite I believe which was a better transferring skid. The '99 and older used the Xtra-10 and you couldn't give me one of those.

not everyone likes to ride with their skis off the snow.

id lookfor the correct edge suspension. it has more travel and will bolt in.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
[QUOTEid lookfor the correct edge suspension. it has more travel and will bolt in.[/QUOTE]

Only found 2 so far and they are way out of my price range.

Kind of wondering if there really isn't that many out there ?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've got 1 out of my 05 edge rmk 144 extended to a 151 how much you looking to spend? Possible trade for holz skid.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Sounds like you have a Holz 3304 skid. I would use it. They work very well and are lighter than the stock skids. they also do better in deep snow. If you look close you will see an amazing similarity to the skid Polaris puts in the new RMK. Mounting any skid that is not original will require measuring the placement points from the drive shaft centerline from the sled it was removed from. It does take some time to do this and may require moving or making new mount plates but if you take your time and measure twice and drill once most anyone can do it. I have some info from Holz that I will down load. I also have a set of instructions from holz to install but the file wont load as it tells me it too large. If you PM me I will e mail it to you.

Attachments

• HRP Suspension Hard Point Dimensions.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 84

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I went through this a while back. The only different between the Gen II Holz and the Edge Holz is the front arm. The Edge is longer. You can put a complete Gen II in they Edge as long as you use the Gen II rails and then use the Gen II measurements for mounting it in relation to the drive axle.

I think I still have a complete Edge Holz suspension minus the rails sitting on the shelf that has never been run. Yeah, I do that sometimes.

sled_guy

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
So I laid my edge rails out next to the skid today and its most likely a Gen II skid. The rails are for sure Gen II and even though the mounting points were the same for the front torque arm the bumpers were farther up the rails on the edge rails so I can see that the edge skid had a longer front torque arm.

With that being said I would rather find an edge skid instead of using The Gen II skid on my edge. So I will keep looking and may even sell my Gen II skid

Thanks for all the responses Guys, I appreciate it!

G
Sep 28, 2011
Sorry to jump in on your thread but I am trying to verify some info on a gen 2 holz skid as well. You say the front arms are different but the rest of the skid is the same, How long is the front arm on the gen 2 vs the edge? I want to make sure what I have is actually what I think it is... And how long are the gen 2 151 rails? Thanks

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
Not sure on either but I can measure the rails when I get home and I can't tell you on the torque but the bolt hole placement on the rails is similar from the edge rails I have and the gen II rails but the bump stop is 2-3 inches farther forward on the edge rails.

Premium Features