• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump question

After some time, I have got my 03 800 RMK engine back in the sled. I had to replace two pistons after dropping a value into one of the cylinder.

My question is what are the best ways to confirm that the oil pump is pumping. I would like to confirm that the oil pump is pumping to my end bearings and carb. The first ride out I added some extra oil to my gas to be on the safe side. After a short ride I could see that the oil level was lower, so the oil pump was pumping. I am just wondering if the oil was pumping to the end bearings. There was air bubbles in the end bearing oil lines. Included some photos. Would like to get some options....

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
I rig up a short section of tie wire and hook it around the oil pump lever, fire the sled up and pull the oil pump lever to full oil at idle. You can see the air bubbles move at that point. I do this to help summerize the sled and also shortly after the first fire up of the season to make sure the pump is pumping and things are getting a nice new shot of oil.

I also run 100:1 in my fuel per Indy Specialties request so I can keep their warranty. I use a lot of oil but things seem happy.

Last edited:
I rig up a short section of tie wire and hook it around the oil pump lever, fire the sled up and pull the oil pump lever to full oil at idle. You can see the air bubbles move at that point. I do this to help summerize the sled and also shortly after the first fire up of the season to make sure the pump is pumping and things are getting a nice new shot of oil.

I also run 100:1 in my fuel per Indy Specialties request so I can keep their warranty. I use a lot of oil but things seem happy.

I tried that same thing. With the engine running at an idle, soon as I pull the oil pump level up the sled dies. I would conclude that the oil pump is pumping a bunch of oil into the carburetor and the engine dies.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
No, you are probably activating the throttle safety switch and that is what is killing the motor. Even at full open on the pump the sled will still idle.

Check you throttle cable adjustment. Sounds like the oil pump return spring is what is putting enough force on the throttle cable to keep the dead man switch from activating so when you wire the oil pump open it dies.

sled_guy

I tried that same thing. With the engine running at an idle, soon as I pull the oil pump level up the sled dies. I would conclude that the oil pump is pumping a bunch of oil into the carburetor and the engine dies.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You put a mark on the oil reservoir and fill it up to that mark for every ride. Then during the ride, you stop and check that the oil level is being drawn down an appropriate amount, for the gas consumed.

D
Oct 19, 2014
Jackson,Wi
Vent the cap & your oil bubble in the line won t reappear after you bleed it out. I always had a oil bubble in that same spot on my 05 800 until I vented the cap. It never came back since venting was done.

Premium Features