• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 backfire while idling wont idle

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What's the temp there, could just be ice in the fuel otherwise sounds like either bad plug caps or a stator giving up. Also check for the infamous tail light wire short.

C
Mar 2, 2011
Was like 9 degrees celsius and ill take a look at the plug connections. I have a bigbore in it with head word and im only running premium. Could it be major preignition?

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Sounds to me like you detonated it. If you cause enough damage to the top of the piston, it essentially changes the port timing and it will backfire. 90 lbs is definitely too low. I hate to tell you this, but you probably need a new top end.

Also, if your rings are stuck or damaged, the blow-by can be extreme enough to cause the same symptoms.

Better pull the head and see what you find. It should be evident.

Let us know what you find.

C
Mar 2, 2011
I pulled the engine more damage than i though. Dontated on one side bad and broke a skirt off. Had to get the case welded and do a pisons and rings. Running 1 gal c14 race gas and a third of a quArt of oil per tank just on the safe side

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Set the idle mixture so it does just that. Idles without loading up the engine and dying. As lean as you can while keeping the idle at 1000-1500

Premium Features