• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 guy thinking about 2011 RMK

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I am a guy who has never been particularly brand loyal - I ride whatever I think is the best. I have been on M sleds for the last 5 years. Almost bought a Dragon 8 two years ago, but Polaris's history of releasing unproven products and poor customer service (big block 800 cranks, 700/900 fusion debacle) pushed me away. I think it was the right decision at the time given the fairly large number of dragon 800 problems. I must say the new chassis has me intrigued - a light weight 800 that feels light weight , good trail manners, etc. (I am stating this based upon the few test ride reports)

I had the thought when the Dragon 800 came out -"Polaris must have their sh-t together on this one"
I am having the same thought now about the new RMK, but do they have it together???? For me to pull the trigger, I am going to need to KNOW that this package is tested and bullet proof. Cat has been too damn good to me for me to leave without some kind of reassurance.

The only reason I am thinking about switching is because of my schitzo relationship with my M1000 - I love it on fresh powder days, but find it tireing on anything but fresh powder days. Love love love the instant torque, but feel beat up when the snow is setup.

Thoughts?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Personally I would give it a year for them to work out any kinks. If you are thinking of sinking thousands into switching to a new sled, consider putting part of that amount into upgrading your existing suspension to make your sled more rideable on those non-powder days... I know when I was riding aggressively with later model M sleds on beat up trails, I was watching them get beat up while my '02 ZX Summit with a few tweaks was soaking up the bumps pretty well.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i'd wait a year. the Pro looks killer, but Poo has a terrible rep for putting out the first year. i hope they change that though, as this new Poo has me seeing red for the first time in my life. :face-icon-small-blu

P
Feb 9, 2010
I know way different but I have a first year polaris sled, 2010 600 rush, yea not a 800 like my 09 D8 but it's the best sled polaris has put together ever hands down, you won't be disappointed. Having said that, I could imagine the 2011s are even better fit and finish.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I know of another rider switching from a M1000 to the 2011 Pro RMK. Time will only tell if Polaris built in reliability along with all of the other features that make this a great choice.

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
I have ridden the new pro rmk and i own an assault w/a turbo and i would have given them my turbo if i could have taken it home that day i rode the new pro-rmk. Im snowchecking one and maybe two. I would love to get a 600 in that same skid for my wife. I just have to wait and see on monday what all the models will be.....

R

rcditchpickle

Nov 26, 2007
MISSOULA MT
you must be reading my mind on this decision. I too have a M1000 that runs good but is ready to be traded for something new. I put 4 good hrs on the new 2011 pro and loved it. Ya it did not have the hit that my M1000 has but it is a fun fun fun sled and with a little extra it would hold its own. In the trees this is the funnest sled I have been on [stock out of the box]. All sleds have there problems. Clutching, diamond drive, re-flash re-flash, how many pistons do I get under warranty? ect.ect..I guess that what it boils down to for me is which dealer is going to help me and take care of me. That being said I guess that the dealers in my area know what I will be riding next year.
Man I'm going to miss that old girl.

For sale: 2008 M1000 with all the goodies you need and then some.$? PM me

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
I don't know where I sit on this one. I have 2 700 CFI's from the '07 model year. That was a first year sled too and aside from a few updates, they've been fantastic sleds/engines.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I'm pretty confident that if most normal free riding backcountry types had zero brand loyalty, or were not influenced by a dealership, simply based their buying decision on the actual all around ride experience you will find nearly EVERY SINGLE ONE would want the PRO RMK.

That is pretty bold and that is a testiment to how that thing "FEELS" when you ride it. Pretty universal too when you consider only about 200 of us got to try it out. I've yet to hear one single person not say it was the best single stock sled they've ever been on.

A year from now? Who knows wether it will pan out to be a reliable trouble free sled. Most likely history says there will be some stuff that needs adjusting but there is nothing radically new on this sled so I'm gonna say the bulk of the reliability issues were sorted out through the 08-2010 800s.

Dealer dealer dealer...has been and always will be more important than how much you pay!

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I have been riding a 08 m1000 and completely agree that the sled just wears you out. It climbs like crazy and the geo mod made it a pretty decent boondocking sled. That being said with all the reports of how the new rmk rides I think I can deal with a little less torque and power for the weight reduction and flickability. Just snowchecked a pro 155"

Anyone looking for a m1000 in ak?

D
Sep 19, 2005
Poo's offering a 4 yr bumper to bumper warrenty...what's there to worry about?
Ah yes...whether your sled will be in the shop all winter...I guess at that point it comes down to your local dealer.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Poo's offering a 4 yr bumper to bumper warrenty...what's there to worry about?
Ah yes...whether your sled will be in the shop all winter...I guess at that point it comes down to your local dealer.

Yes, not only worry about it being in the shop all winter, but also having the warranty claims denied for BS reasons.....

Not saying the 2011 model isn't great, just heard this hype every year for the Poo 800/900's since 2005 and glad I stayed on the fence......Guess I keep the 04 Edge another year and how the engine, FI, VR, and computer hang in there???????

S

stay tuned

Oct 18, 2002
Bozeman, MT.
Had a 07 M1000 with twin pipes, porting, intake, head, timbersled rear, 174" track and went with an 09 Dragon. It has twins, a head, Exit shocks front, and Carl's shock set up on the rear. It runs strong with not one problem. I just put money down on the 11 Pro RMK 163. Looks like I have a 09 Dragon for sale.

Premium Features