• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 RMK front end diving

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
I have a problem with the front end diving when you let off on the throttle. I know a lot of it is because of the tourqe unloading when you get out of the throttle but it does it at slower speeds also. I wondered if switching the skis might help this problem. I've been told it will help but not eliminate it. I've also been told to adjust the front shock on the track which I've never done but imagine it is pretty simple. I blew out ny knee last season so I only rode it 5 or 6 times. Very impressed with the power. This sled is great for king size guys but steering this sled with the front end diving wore me out on just about every ride. Thanks for any tips.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the FIRST thing i would do is get a 225lb front track spring, and install it on your front shock in your skid and trash the stock one..its alot stiffer and will prevent the sled from front end diving..makes the front end feel lighter when not on the power..

thats the #1 thing i would do..THEN...get some good skis afterwards...for best all around performance, i reccomend Gripper Skis...IMO..

here is a link to the track shock..

http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod...+AND+shock.Heavy-Duty_Front_Track_Shock_S.htm

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
You've only got 5 or 6 rides on the thing.... maybe a little more seat time is the answer.

Track spring will help. So will getting rid of some dead weight up front, specifically the radiator.

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
I did a lot of things, but three things that really made a diff. were skis (mine are xmts, but I like my gripper skis on my Assault), 225# track shock, and for uneven diving front shocks (I have fox floats). The shocks and springs up front do not handle the weight of the 900 period!!! My 900 had the stock shocks on it though!
I have ridden 900's since I made my changes and they handle just like mine did before I fixed her up.
The exhaust can has got to go too, way too much weight on that side of sled! I have a MBRP, but most are using SLP because of noise issues.
My 2 cents!:):beer;

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Lightening the front end up helps, but ...

IMO, have Carl's Cycle build you a set of Zero Pros if you don't mind spending the $$$ ... that pretty well cured the problem entirley.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
225# track spring.

Better spring for stock shocks ... there are some postings discussing variable rate springs for the 900.

If you got the $$$ get air shocks.

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
It has the fat boy spring (#225) up front on the track shock. I've got a line on some Gripper II's and I am ordering the radiator delete for it. My can was the first thing replaced on the sled. Thanks for the help and providing feedback!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
if its diving with the 225 spring..

remove the radiator and as much useless weight as possible (like the foam insulation under the hood)..do you have stock shocks..if so they are most likely blown and do not provide any compression or rebound in them..

good luck and keep us posted..

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Can the stock Ryde FX shocks be revalved to help this problem? Where do we begin to look for better springs for the front also? I've got my spring tension all the way up and it still does it.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
You've only got 5 or 6 rides on the thing.... maybe a little more seat time is the answer.

Track spring will help. So will getting rid of some dead weight up front, specifically the radiator.

I think alot of the "problems" these sled have come from guys having trouble adjusting to the rider forward design and a non-traditional snowmobile motor.

I remember it feeling sooo front heavy at first, and now after riding it a bunch that isn't the case.

It has the fat boy spring (#225) up front on the track shock. I've got a line on some Gripper II's and I am ordering the radiator delete for it. My can was the first thing replaced on the sled. Thanks for the help and providing feedback!

Ski's really help very much. Especially going down hill

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Can the stock Ryde FX shocks be revalved to help this problem? Where do we begin to look for better springs for the front also? I've got my spring tension all the way up and it still does it.

Are you talking about the standard RMK Ryde FX shocks (black, non rebuildable steel) or the aluminum Snowcheck rebuildable shocks?

H
Dec 3, 2007
MASON,MI
Even after spending a gazillion dollars and getting my 9 under 500lbs it still has a higher front/rear weighjt distribution than the newer sleds. The 08 and 09 Poos I have riden seem to be more evenly biased front to rear. short of moving the engine rearward i dont think this can be changed on the 9. I just learned to make the weight work for you. ie,dont let off of the gas until its time to turn, then when it dives just lean in the direction you want to go and gas it to straighten out!

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
Hood you have nailed it!

My Assault is better balanced front to rear than my 05/900, but I still love my 900's arm yanking torque!!! My 900 is much improved from stock and it definitely needed the tweeking, but like the 4 strokes it is heavier up front period! It's a big block engine!! :beer;:)

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Copy that Hood. I do need more seat time but the previous owner sold it because it was too hard to steer. He bought a D8 and it is much easier to ride. (I told him he was just a wimp) Now I have the same problem. I rode my buddies Assault last season and it was like night and day. I'm changing the shocks and ski's plus pulling the radiator to lighten the load but I think changing my riding habits is the real key. Thanks for the help.

Premium Features