• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900RMK only one glitch.

O

oregunrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Willamette Valley
Ive got a 06 900 151.I bought it new and have 1200 miles on it. I have done all the updates, front rad removed, regeared, v-force reeds, boss noss and an attitude ind. box, and a cpi pipe/can combo. It pulls hard and is a blast to ride but Ive got one glitch that I cannot seem to resolve. It starts and runs fine until it gets around 30-45 minutes into the ride. It never stalls when Im holding the throttle open but every so often when I let off on on the gas and then hit it again, its like the key got turned off. I let it come to a complete stop and pull the rope and it fires right up. 10 minutes later it will do it again.
Ive had the tps position checked at the dealer and they say it is fine. It did this before I put the box on it, so I know that is not the problem. Has anyone had this problem? on a different sled?. I know that the stator was a problem on some of the 05/s. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
sounds like a stator problem or the connector on the tps. i would replace the tps harness i spent a lot of $$ replaceing stuff on mine and it ended up being a bad tps and tps harness. mine would cut out and stall if i let off the gas and reverse didn't work. I have a known good stator if you need. i replaced mine cause the dealer said it was the prob and it didn't fix it. good luck

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Yes they are defective on a few of them but I had a problem with my handwarmers grounding out through my handle bars on my 05 I replaced the stator which was not the problem and i had a ground come lose on my 06 around the steering column which caused the same problems. Good Luck hope you get it figured out.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I was having the same kind of weird trouble with mine last winter, even though the dealer said the TPS was fine ...

It turned out that the harness to the TPS wasn't.

Polaris has actually released a new pigtail for the TPS sensors ...

Put that on, and the problem appears to be fixed now, but I won't know for sure until I get it on the snow and beat on it for awhile.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
TPS as said above

OR

The Stator harness or other is rubbing thru the insulation.

OR

Both

The Factory TPS harness... well the whole harness for that matter is not "ideal" (I'll leave it at that)...

The wires break off inside the insulation jacket in many places... you have to be carfull not to overtighten zip-ties when you install them..

ALSO Check the chassis ground connection on the PTO side above the footwell inside.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73220

Heres a pic of the tps connector...
BrokenTPswire.jpg

The larger, white loom covererd wires coming out of the recoil housing are the stator wires... because of the way that polaris routes wires and doesn't put much chaffe protection on them... they can rub thru in spots and short out.. or be broken off inside of the insulation... Can be hard to diagnose...

Polaris part number... 2203165 TPS harness repair kit (listed as an atv kit)

Last edited:
This has probably been said, just in different terms. If so, don't be too hard on me.
I went through the whole slew of things that everyone has mentioned and it never removed the problem, some helped and some even prolonged the problem but the problem always reared its ugly head.
The root of my problem was in the wear and tear on the handle bar throttle body. the tps sensor on the sled connects to the tps switch in the handlebar throttle body and assembly and relys on two buttons, one is located in the center of the seat of the throttle lever and the other is located in the hole where the pivot rod of the throttle lever goes through the throttle body.
What happens is that the rod wears against the plastic of the throttle body housing, as it wears, the rod hole ovals out not allowing the sensor to touch the pivot rod. With the right combination...as you get back on the throttle...the sensor in the center of throttle lever seat untouches as the throttle lever pivot rod pushes out into the oval also allowing the sensor in the pivot hole to untouch...when the two untouch the tps does what is supposed to do, cuts the motor.
You fix it by replacing the handlebar throttle body, no more ovaled out throttle lever pivot rod hole. This allows the rod and throttle lever to make proper contact with the tps nubs in the throttle body. Some mfg's make aftermarket billet handlebar throttle bodys and others make more simple, less expensive throttle levers. I went with an RSI throttle lever and then plugged in a simple dirt bike kill button instead of the kill switch. Works awesome and I don't get thrown off my sled as i wait for the motor to come back alive.
Extra long, sorry...this is the root of the throttle problem...feel free to ask or correct anything.

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I had both problems with my 06 900. First the throttle lever needed to be tightened. It would cut out when on and off the throttle.

Couple rides later tps harness went bad. When the harness went bad it ran terrible, backfire, rough idle, bog, choke and coughed.

I'd tighten the throttle lever first and give it a try.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I second that.... check your throttle lever kill switch and make sure it is working properly.
You can't have very much play in the lever.... must return firmly and not be loose.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
I have the same issue. won't idle, no reverse, cold hand warmers. I have replaced the stator, voltage reg, hood harness due to wire melt.

Carles and Fastrax have been chasing this issue for hours!!! Sounds like it might be the tps pig tail.. Any thoughts??

B
Oct 31, 2008
Maybe that's why mine cuts out?

If anyone can help...
Seems like when I'm in the bumps and I land hard, my motor cuts out for a split second, I'm pretty sure it's only when I'm compressing suspension really hard.
Could this TPS in the throttle lever be the culprit?
I'm not even sure how it all works in the handlebar, I assumed it was just a throttle lever, I never thought they had made them so high-tech.

Ya'll will keep keep spending money on shop hours and un-necessary parts until you replace the throttle housing on the handlebars that hold the two tps buttons. The throttle lever and pivot rod wear out the body housing until the two tps sensors can't do their job. Until you replace that throttle body housing, you'll do nothing but throw money away.

See the pic, part #27 is worn out and needs replaced...no way around it.

handlebar.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features