• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

more pictures of tobacco roots, 10/12/08

R
Oct 20, 2008
SW Montana
66 inches at our friend's house. :eek:
we were "supposed" to be helping round up his cattle and get them fed, but we spent most our time boondocking. :p
I claim first stuck of the season - but only because I slowed down when I thought I saw a moo cow in the trees. :rolleyes:
It was 5 feet deep!
I kept saying, "are you SURE this is October?"
:D

So, we had a good day of riding AND saved the cattle!

julies5ftdeep.jpg STUCK; 5 feet deep

deep as the road sign.jpg as deep as the road sign...don't think we need to worry about loose gravel - we parked in the middle of the road!

in town oct 12.jpg this is a house in town 1/2 way thru the storm

pitchforkhandle n glove.jpg this is a pitchfork handle (and my glove) to show how deep it was at the corrals

jhager.snowy yearling.jpg happy yearling. They are still stuck in the hills, and more snow yesterday, but rounding them up tomorrow...on sleds :D

R
Oct 20, 2008
SW Montana
Hey xtra lettuce tomato -

hey - were you in a white truck (possibly ford) w/ some skidoos on the trailer?
we were in the blue dodge w/ skidoos on.

- oh, wait, duh, I see you're a polaris guy...so we DIDN'T pass you after all

anyway, I felt dumb riding in back, since there were 3 in the truck and only 2 sleds. I was like, all these guys are gonna think I had to ride double! But - not so!

I rode my sled and broke trail for the boyz. Poor Rob had to ride the rancher double on his sled...(and he's no little guy) and attempt to follow my tracks - which was really a 4 foot trench! but it helped him on the tougher hills when he could drop in my track now and then.

This guy has super tall sagebrush, and you couldn't even tell where it was. I was like, where's my traction tree? ha ha.

anyway, it sure was insane, wasn't it?

my biggest problem is that I was 1 week out from a shoulder dislocation, so riding in the heavy, wet, DEEP snow was tough on my arm - and on one occasion made me ride totally retarded (but I saved it).

Have a good one...RCW :cool:

A
Aug 9, 2008
i know it was deep up there but can anyone say photo shop??? i see weeds in the pic of the fake road sign and if it was five feet deep that fence on the right would be nowhere to be seen... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
hey - were you in a white truck (possibly ford) w/ some skidoos on the trailer?
we were in the blue dodge w/ skidoos on.

- oh, wait, duh, I see you're a polaris guy...so we DIDN'T pass you after all

anyway, I felt dumb riding in back, since there were 3 in the truck and only 2 sleds. I was like, all these guys are gonna think I had to ride double! But - not so!

I rode my sled and broke trail for the boyz. Poor Rob had to ride the rancher double on his sled...(and he's no little guy) and attempt to follow my tracks - which was really a 4 foot trench! but it helped him on the tougher hills when he could drop in my track now and then.

This guy has super tall sagebrush, and you couldn't even tell where it was. I was like, where's my traction tree? ha ha.

anyway, it sure was insane, wasn't it?

my biggest problem is that I was 1 week out from a shoulder dislocation, so riding in the heavy, wet, DEEP snow was tough on my arm - and on one occasion made me ride totally retarded (but I saved it).

Have a good one...RCW :cool:

Yah, that was me with the Blue dodge and skidoo. Are you getting snow right now??

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, are the roots getting anything from these last two storms, cuz its been light up here, hopefully adding to the base up there, gonna be an early season, oh wait, it already started.

R
Oct 20, 2008
SW Montana
okay, Joshua 335 ~ it was US in the blue dodge w/ 2 skidoos.
If you had a blue dodge too, you must have had one sled loaded in back?
we saw you then from long distance - we were headed back to Pony from the ranch road and you were headed to Harrison from Pony on the pavement.
when we got to Pony, we followed a white truck w/ 2 sleds on a trailer all the way to I-90.
and we got more snow on Tuesday, but it's warm and sunny since then and supposed to continue (which is good b/c the cattle are coming off the mtn to the corrals in Harrison today). plus we have an xp in about 400 pieces, and we gotta get it back together before it snows too much more! ha ha

And, Mr. Alex Waddell, the pics are not photo shopped at all.
I have the originals from my FILM camera if you'd like to see them.

as for the road sign pic, I did not say it was 5 feet deep on the road!
notice sleds in the background sitting on the road! - they aren't 5 feet deep either, now, are they?
the road sign is in a borrow ditch.
it was only about 3 feet of snow on the road - (mid-thigh)
they "officially" reported 42 inches in town...

it was, however, chin deep when I got stuck, on the mountain, about 2,000-2,500 feet in elevation ABOVE the road, and I'm 5'4" so it was pretty dang close to 5 feet deep up high, I didn't stop to measure it, as I was trying to WADE through it and pull a ski around to the downhill side.

it was only chest-to-armpit deep at the corrals, depending upon where you stood. It made getting the tarps off his haystack really difficult.

the rancher's next door neighbor went in to winterize their cabin and were snowed in for 3 days and they had to keep opening their door every couple hours to shovel snow away from the door. they measured it at 66 inches on the flat (not drifted).

sorry to disappoint you, but it really was "all that" deep up on top of the mountain (not in town or on the road), and we had a BLAST (even if we were supposed to be looking for cows).

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Do you think that you would be able to show my fiance, myself, and a buddy arround if we came up from Central Oregon? Its a long drive but it would be worth it. We are all riding new to us sleds this year and cant freakin wait to get them cold and wet. What is your riding elevation?

thanks

Cheyne

Premium Features