• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

290 apex, starts getting slow to spool up as the day goes on?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys, So basically I've noticed this issue with my apex which has the 290 MCXPRESS Kit in it, that as my day goes on or sometimes even when im working the sled, on off the throttle I start getting bad boost lag. Starting out in the day I'll wack the throttle, 1 second its going, near the end of the day wack the throttle and count to 3 or 4!. Clutching wise It's been clutched to whats recommended by everybody, and my secondary Is good, Primary bushings are a little bit worn but not bad.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on but it sure gets annoying, Any ideas anybody?

J
Nov 27, 2007
lag

check the clutches for heat as the day goes on, more likely you have a crack in the pipes and as it warms up it opens up. you can put air to the exhaust turn the motor till you hit the spot air doesn't pass and shoot some soapy water on the pipes. have to drop at least the rear suspension bolts and jack the tail.. I use the same adapter I use on the intake side with a piece of boost tube to link it.
ps restrict the air pressure to 15lbs or less.. julio

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Thanks for the replies. I know my exhaust is leaking, I welded up the 2 y pipes before as they do get micro fractures but It never caused much boost lag issues or as the day went on getting worse, I had done them when I had the exhaust apart a while back doing the copper donuts.

In either case I'll yank the Y pipes. I wish there was an alternative like the nytro's

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Find the header off an RX-1. Think they were stainless. Cracks are from too much heat. Weld cracks - weaken the pipe next to the weld - more cracks - more weld - endless circle.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Find the header off an RX-1. Think they were stainless. Cracks are from too much heat. Weld cracks - weaken the pipe next to the weld - more cracks - more weld - endless circle.

yeah, I got my exhaust apart and found 1 cracked bellow, which is slightly surprising, I knew I had an exhaust leak, but my last bellow that went It made the sled run like crap and super loud right at the engine, this time I've been running it light that for probably the past 5 rides.

I also FIGURED OUT my boost issue, Frigging wastegate was rusted solid. and stuck slightly open, sprayed some penetrating oil on it and took some long pliers and worked some life into that. So theres that! :juggle:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I have a set of y pipes off an 04 RX1 .

Ken...........

I'd consider them but unfortunately I'm not in a position to be spending money, I'll keep yeah in mind for down the road. Luckily my y pipes werent cracked this time from my previous welding, so thats a good 2,000km un-cracked so thats good anyways. lol :face-icon-small-con

Premium Features