• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 800 top end vibration

P

polhiker

Nov 2, 2002
Chinook,montana
so my buddy took his 01 into a dealer becouse he had a vibration on the top end fine low end and mid range,they tell him he has a bad crank,so he ordered a new crank and top end i told him id rebuild it for him,just bring it by and we can drag it into the shop.So he says oh know it run we can drive it in,so my question how do they know the crank is bad if they didnt tear it down and look.where they feeding him a bunch of bull to get some money.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I doubt it's the crank.

You can check the crank run out on the clutch stub and you can also pull the stator and check it on the mag side. That's how you check them without full disassemble. Perhaps they did that and found a bunch of runout, it's a pretty common check on sled motors and does point towards problems with the crank.

I'd be for checking the simple things... belt for wear spot, drive and jack shaft bearings, primary clutch condition.

sled_guy

Premium Features