• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matte Murder's M1100 Turbo HCR

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I will not argue that some products do not live up to the claims. But a few of us have had driveline issues (some with stock power, some with added horsepower), but as a group we tend to share info to other forum members to try and help them out. If your sled is as good or better with a 3k investment, please feel free to post it for others so we might experience a bit of your success story - hell, there are a few vendors on this forum that would love to have your knowledge. I'm not doubting your claims, but where many are offering detailed descriptions of what they've done to accomplish reliability along with horsepower increase, you are simply stating that your sled works "as good or better" with minimal $$$ spent. I eagerly await your response and your rendition of "what works".

X3.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I hope this didn't come off as bragging or showboating. MBMS posted this thread to highlight the hard work, workmanship and trick parts on this sled. I definitely didn't start on this sled with the plan to have this much money in it. Started with a new sled and the SC kit. Immediately we knew that the clutching needed a lot of work. I definitely started slow with a standard clutch kit. I couldn't get one hard pull on a belt let alone a day riding or X 100s of miles. Did the Team, still not even close. I saw on Snowest that guys were breaking chains and causing tons of damage so I decided to do the belt drive and while on the phone with Kevin he "sold" me on the clutch. With all the jack shaft support and engine tie down parts I think we finally have all the ingredients to have a driveline that will put 310 HP to the snow. We might go back to the stock secondary with machined faces though. I'm also thinking of going 174-3" so we might be dealing with new stresses there.
Every time I hear someone with the cheap fix for a "Turbo 1100" I figure out its not apples to apples. Its a 250HP kit, or guys riding 10,000 feet, or rides champagne powder etc. Woody had the alignment nailed on week one so the "alignment fixes the whole problem" guys are not even in the same mountain range, lol. So if you have an honest 300 plus HP engine, ride at 3000-6000 feet in 2-3' of Cascade snow, ride hard all day and you can tie the engine down, replace the jack shaft, strengthen or eliminate the chain/gears, vent it, block the heat from the exhaust, AND nail the clutching for $3000 you need to share that with the world.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Thank you to everyone who has enjoyed and commented on the thread. As many on here know, I often post threads with information and photos of builds we are working on. I know I love to read and look at the build threads posted by others. Matte just loves to ride sweet mod sleds in the mountains and has them built so he can do what he loves. The "look at what I got" could not be further from the truth. I meet him on the mountain with the sled and he looks it over briefly and then it's "lets ride!!!"

With that being said I have been building and riding mod Arctic Cat mountain sleds for a long time.. and this one ranks way up on the fun meter.

I am positive there are no M1100 Turbos out there with 3K in them that run or ride anything like this sled.

Thanks,
Woody

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Gotta just love the sport. Riding is fun and so is building. I can't agree more about this sledding working well. I am happy with my 11t with the bc250 but it has weak points. That I need to address and matte and mnbs sharing what works and doesn't helps me figure out where to put my pennies. I would love to throw my leg over this super chute.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Does Matte still own and ride this sled?
Any update from this years rides?
How's the tapps clutch working?

Yes he still owns it but has not ridden it this year. It has some new upgrades for this season. We will post some pics soon. Should be on the snow in a week or so but he wadded up a bit last week so not sure he will be ready.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm still hoping for the miracle 3k parts list so I can stop r&d for Cat and just go riding. Who knew it was so easy?:face-icon-small-blu

No kidding. I have gotten some PMs from people about clutching, alignment, gearing, weights etc. And when I really dig into what they are doing it's never a 300HP plus sled ridden hard in the mountains. We just put a 3" track on it and the new Skinz front end. Unfortunately my whole crew has suffered 100% casualties.:crazy: My nephew has a severaly sprained shoulder, my son has a similar injury and a collar bone broken clean thru and I have broken ribs. One rib has the last couple inches nearly broken off. I have had separated and bruised ribs before but I have never been sure about broken ribs. They are unpleasant. All 3 injuries happened at different times under different circumstances. So my test ride is at least a few weeks away. I will send MBMS out on some test runs so we should have some feedback soon.

Almost forgot. We got the new style C3 parts for the belt drive(actually got charged for parts that should have came with the sled), a carbon gas tank, carbon hood from C3(doesn't fit for crap, waiting on the mods/parts that should have come with it and it's probably going back, sick of the the C3 song and dance) and the EVO/Tubie stage 3 TCL delete kit.

Last edited:
As for the 3k parts list..C3 belt drive(which gets rid of the crap bearings and motor mount rubber), Team clutch, OSP motor stop and jackshaft support, venting and most important setting your alignment of the clutches. Have over 700 miles on same belt and I ride the crap out of it. Before I did all this I couldn't make 30 miles without blowing a belt. If you guys would just understand the problem you can fix it with out the big $. Like I said, everyone is looking for a fix and are throwing money at products that aren't needed. Stay simple=money in the pocket not in the high dollar aftermarket. As for Matte saying you paid extra for the updated belt drive and the run around...Kevin at C3 is a great guy to talk to you should try calling him yourself and stop going through the middle man, have had the new belt drive sent to me with a new belt for FREE, thats customer service.

T
Dec 11, 2012
I don't get the big deal about someone doggin on someone else for how they choose to spend there money. Lol the government spends our money foolishly everyday. It's a hobby for most people and they get enjoyment out of tinkering and whatnot. Cat monster I'm glad you are having fun with your sled and getting great belt life now. Not everyone is in the same boat... That's why we come to places like this, to share knowledge and experience. If the products supplied don't appeal to you then don't buy them. I have 1100 Kms on my factory belt. Last season I ran bikemans kit which made 220 at best. This year I'm running a big chute. My sled is not considered a belt blower. I also do not have near the preventive measures you have. Is it likely that eventually my 2012 m1100 will eat belts? It's anyone's guess. The fact of the matter is that understanding the problem like you stated is only the case if every sled was the same, however it's a case by case deal IMO. No one is forcing money out of anyone's hands for magical products. I think company's that do solid r&d deserve a lot of respect. I've been dealing with gene from whiteknuckle, he has never once sold me a product with out giving me the lowdown on it good/bad or if it's really needed. To be honest we shoot the **** more then anything. I look at the quality of the product, and service I receive.... Plain and simple. My .02

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
No kidding. I have gotten some PMs from people about clutching, alignment, gearing, weights etc. And when I really dig into what they are doing it's never a 300HP plus sled ridden hard in the mountains. We just put a 3" track on it and the new Skinz front end. Unfortunately my whole crew has suffered 100% casualties.:crazy: My nephew has a severaly sprained shoulder, my son has a similar injury and a collar bone broken clean thru and I have broken ribs. One rib has the last couple inches nearly broken off. I have had separated and bruised ribs before but I have never been sure about broken ribs. They are unpleasant. All 3 injuries happened at different times under different circumstances. So my test ride is at least a few weeks away. I will send MBMS out on some test runs so we should have some feedback soon.

Almost forgot. We got the new style C3 parts for the belt drive(actually got charged for parts that should have came with the sled), a carbon gas tank, carbon hood from C3(doesn't fit for crap, waiting on the mods/parts that should have come with it and it's probably going back, sick of the the C3 song and dance) and the EVO/Tubie stage 3 TCL delete kit.

I couldn't agree with you anymore about c3, been waiting on parts to get fixed for 2 months now. :face-icon-small-fro

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Also, I am getting some PMs from other C3 customers. All of them negative. C3 has some great ideas but his attention to detail and ability to ship parts that are really ready to install without major modifications are the big problems. For me I am paying someone to do it and even at a reduced rate it adds up to more than the parts cost most of the time. If you are doing it your self and don't have a value for your time it might be ok....

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Some business's can't take any heat on these forums. I don't have a issue with c-3 but always thought some of there stuff was crude and did not fit without modification. I am glad we have this site to sort out the good and bad with aftermarket stuff.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Is it likely that eventually my 2012 m1100 will eat belts? It's anyone's guess. The fact of the matter is that understanding the problem like you stated is only the case if every sled was the same, however it's a case by case deal IMO. No one is forcing money out of anyone's hands for magical products. I think company's that do solid r&d deserve a lot of respect.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact. No two sleds are necessarily the same solution even thou they might exhibit the same problems. Guys that only spent $600 to fix their problem don't understand why anyone would have to spend more. Some parts are part of the solution but also add a better level of performance. Belt drives are a prime example. Better performance and no more chain case issues. But you could have no chain case issues with straight bearings and stock power. It's a choice to spend money on what you love. Changing some parts (like stiffer motor mounts) in a 12 without addressing the engine mounts welded to the cooler is a ticking time bomb. There are lots of short cuts but the problems are what they are.
Unless a guy is someone that has worked on and talked to hundreds of customers with belt issues, opinions on what has to be done compared to "all that you need to do" is crazy. Every sled is not the same nor has the same power or performance additions done to it that affect how the solution is implemented.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Nice sled

I love the carbon fibre look.
Did you think about changing the whole tunnel to a C3 carbon fibre tunnel?
Skins front A arm kit looks good.
How come they don't powder coat the spindles?

Premium Features