• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 High Country 153 conversion

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
I've decided to convert the high country to a 153 as sbe likes to not climb too well in the grainy snow, trenches and just isn't long enough for the deep snow I moved into.

I'm looking at a new 2.6 pc but worried about its trail durability. I ride 75/25 off/on trail.

Any other suggestions?

Is all that's needed are rails and a track? Sled is trilled and dropped to 13' location.

Thanks, Brad.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
You might want to consider the gears from a 153. The highcountry had a bit taller gears. HC used 22t top gear and 48t bottom. 153 used 21T top and 49t bottom. So you don't make a belt blower you might want to use the gears that is used on the 2014's.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I have a 2.5" challenger extreme 153" it has been very durable at up to 80 mph trail speeds. It is as good or better track than the 2.6 claw in most conditions other than bottomless powder IMO. The 2.5" traction is well worth the minimal difference on hyfax wear going from my 2.25" claw.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
75% of the time you will be much happier with the 2.6. Easy choice for me. I wouldn't be worried about the track durability with the ratios you gave. And hyfax is an easy cheap fix if it goes fast, I would guess it won't be a problem.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
75% of the time you will be much happier with the 2.6. Easy choice for me. I wouldn't be worried about the track durability with the ratios you gave. And hyfax is an easy cheap fix if it goes fast, I would guess it won't be a problem.

So the track itself won't be hurt from trails? I average 60 mph and my sled right now tops out at 88 but I am doing a team tied, 20t top gear, and track change.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
Just do it. I'd do it to my 2010 but I'm snowchecking a Proclimb. You will not regret it if your always in the deep.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
So the track itself won't be hurt from trails? I average 60 mph and my sled right now tops out at 88 but I am doing a team tied, 20t top gear, and track change.

If you drove down a HARDPACK trail at 60 mph for 1000mi you would eventually start to wear that track out, and start to see wear and bend in the paddles. But If in that same thousand miles, you drove 750 of it in deep snow and 250 of it on hardpack trail (even tho I would say 50% or more of the trails I ride are not hardpack, They have some fluff/chunky stuff on top.... But let's just say all 250 of it is hardpack for arguments sake) I don't think you would see ANY Ill effects from having the 2.6. Think about it, you will be putting a smile on your face, a big smile, 75% of the time! And that track Hooks up great on the trail too, Throws chunks like an SOB though.

My entire riding group is from MN, and we all ride 160"+ tracks. All of them over 2.25" lug And we drive those suckers all over the place When we get snow. Done that for the last seven years, and have never had a problem, no torn lugs, bent lugs, nothing.
IMHO dude, you're overthinking it. 75/25 is your real ratio, get the 2.6 and never look back! But, it's your sled, do what makes you happy, have a blast.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
If you drove down a HARDPACK trail at 60 mph for 1000mi you would eventually start to wear that track out, and start to see wear and bend in the paddles. But If in that same thousand miles, you drove 750 of it in deep snow and 250 of it on hardpack trail (even tho I would say 50% or more of the trails I ride are not hardpack, They have some fluff/chunky stuff on top.... But let's just say all 250 of it is hardpack for arguments sake) I don't think you would see ANY Ill effects from having the 2.6. Think about it, you will be putting a smile on your face, a big smile, 75% of the time! And that track Hooks up great on the trail too, Throws chunks like an SOB though.

My entire riding group is from MN, and we all ride 160"+ tracks. All of them over 2.25" lug And we drive those suckers all over the place When we get snow. Done that for the last seven years, and have never had a problem, no torn lugs, bent lugs, nothing.
IMHO dude, you're overthinking it. 75/25 is your real ratio, get the 2.6 and never look back! But, it's your sled, do what makes you happy, have a blast.

Problem is this year was closer to 50/50, most of my TIME was in powder but miles were bout equal. Our traisl up here are rarely hardpack, my 2.25 pc sits full in the snow most of the time, I also tend to run towards the looser edges to help hyfax.

On ths 153 I'm going to put two sets of scratchers on. I like my pc so its either 2.25 or 2.6, just really worried about that track around here. I'm going to start going out west every year so the 2.6 would shine out there.

A

AKXF800HC

Apr 1, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
I did the 153" 2.6 swap on my 2012 XF HC about 6 weeks ago and I'm loving it. There are a few more things you'll need for the swap in addition to the track, rails and hifax.
There is one more cross brace between the scissor and rear wheels you'll need to install and the XF HC front shock is longer than an M shock. I bit the bullet and bought a HCR front shock since it has a little stiffer valving.
I mostly ride in the mountains and try to stay in the soft stuff as much as possible, so I can't say good or bad when it comes to trail riding.

G
Feb 23, 2010
Is the front shock being a little longer a problem??? Doesn't seem it would make any difference as the limiter strap keeps it from expanding to its fullest position anyway. I am getting my stuff together for the change now. Ice Age rails Franks jackshaft up graded bearings. Waiting for cat to fess up on clutches. Going with hyvo chain and M 14 gearing.

Premium Features