• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ULTRA/XCR 680 Intake Noise Burble

W
Nov 30, 2008
I have a question for the 680 pros I have a 96 engine I put in an 97 XCR chassis and it has what some have called a burble and slight popping at low speed has stock 97 XCR pipes and a SLP intake on it I am not familiar with these sleds to know if it is just intake noise and carb mixture or something else it constantly has the burble at slow speed but cleans out and runs great, I did do a compression test on the engine and it has 75 psi on all 3 so I ordered new rings for it, any ideas whether the lower compression will make this problem worse or just the nature of the lower speed not cleaning out? I different guy told me it was missing but I mostly sure it is not electrical. Tell me what you know any info is needed Thanks

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
The opening and closing of the reed valves at lower rpm's will emit a popping sound. Not sure what a burble sounds like. Sounds like the engine runs great though.

W
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah popping sound also just wasnt sure how to describe it, just obnoxious sounding compared to my other stuff I know the airbox is supposed to muffle that, I think with the SLP intake on it makes it louder just wasnt sure what is normal.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
When you do your rebuild, might just as well check your reed valve conditions. Broken, chipped, and worn out reeds won't be doing you much good.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Ditch the SLP air box and go back to stock, only hurting yourself running that box.

Premium Features