• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit 700 Good or Bad??

W
Nov 20, 2008
Hey Guys, I have the chance to buy a 2002 Summit 700 144" for a pretty good price. It has about 4300 miles and never had a rebuild, pretty much a stock sled. Are these pretty reliable? Anything I would need to watch out for? Any typical breakdowns? I don't know much about them, but the high mileage worries me. How much would a top end rebuild cost me at the dealer? Any info you can provide would help me out.

Thanks!

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Our group has several Zx's and one is a 700. I have always been impressed how well that 700 goes!

He did finally choke the motor a cpl yrs ago tho.

I would pull the motor out and grease the crank bearings while you have it apart. If you doo that and new pistons, you should be good to go for a while.

... but a 2 stroke always has one foot in the grave.... :face-icon-small-dis

Feb 8, 2011
Washington
I currently have a 2003 700 with 4000 miles on it. I have never had a single problem with it and the compression is still great. My brother has the same sled with close to 8000 miles. I have no idea about his compression, but he hasn't had any trouble either. It is a solid engine.

S

shawn2820

Dec 26, 2009
Arthur Nebraska
I have the same snowmobile as your looking at, 4000 miles and all thats ever had to be done to it is rebuild the clutches on it. One thing to look at is check where the trailing arms attatch to the tunnel. If they have ever hit anything it can bend that some. I know from experience, fell into a hole with mine, was going slow, fell in. didnt think it hurt anything cause the trailing arm didnt bend but where it did give was that mounting point where it all attatches to the tunnel.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
have 01 700 sitting here with 15000 miles.new pistons twice just because.original crank and bearings.never burnt down

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The motor certainly isn't a concern as the others have pointed out. Those in-the-know, know that the motor was the most bullet-proof of all the BRP motors; it puts out good power without the vibration of the bigger 800 and 1000's. You should replace the top end every 4,000 miles tho. You can easily do this yourself with kits (I suggest contacting BJ at Sled Heads Racing) for about $300. Probably cost you at least twice that at the dealer.

The bigger thing you have to consider is the chassis. I had both the Rev and ZX Summits and no one wanted to ride the ZX... The fun factor difference is huge and you can get older Rev Summits now for a very reasonable cost. Sold my ZX 700 Summit last year and can't say anyone in my posse misses it! She was still running strong tho.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Premium Features