For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: Product Reviews and Installs Reviews and Installs of products made specifically for our Yamaha sleds!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 15,346 Times in 7,270 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default Installation and Review: Trail Tank High Capacity Fuel Tank

As part of the installation of my new MPI Supercharger, I knew I was going to need more fuel for the same number of riding hours. After looking at all of the additional fuel options on the market I decided to go with a larger main tank rather than with a separate tunnel mounted spare tank. When it comes to larger main tanks, "Trail Tank High Capacity Sled Tanks" pretty well owns the market.

I placed my order for a new tank several weeks ago and as far as I can tell, they built this one on an "As-Ordered" basis. Not sure if this is normal, or if they just don't maintain much stock in the middle of summer. Either way I was delighted to see it when it arrived this afternoon.

This is their installation instructions.
http://www.trailtank.net/ccllc/yamaha/ttyn_install.pdf

The tank arrived very clean in a well built box.

The contents were completely clean, and VERY well packed

Much to my surprise they threw in some goodies as well
T-Shirt, Hat, Beenie and a couple pens.
Honestly have no idea if they do this for everyone or not, but it was a nice surprise to find this under the tank

Last edited by christopher; 07-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
Deepsnowisthewaytogo (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

The tank itself appears "Very Well" constructed.
Better than I had hoped for to be perfectly honest.

At this point I can not offer a true weight comparison between the OEM and the Trail Tank.

I need to fully drain out ALL of the residual fuel left in my tank, get an accurate dry weight on it, then transfer all of the hardware off of it and onto the Trail Tank so I can get a fair side by side comparison.

While the tank is VERY sturdy to the touch, no flexing at all, its also quite lightweight.

One thing to note, this tank has a textured surface, while the OEM tank is smooth. Not sure if this will have any impact on anything, but its noticable the moment you compare the two side by side.

Looking Head On.

The heat shielding, which is generously applied, makes taking the photo a bear.

Side Winglett that wraps around the sled frame

Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Garage

Side View

Side Bottom

Good photo showing the texture and structure of the tank, as well as the very clean job they did installing the fittings.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Garage

Underside of tank from the rear.

Gas fill neck

Underside of Tank.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Garage

SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISONS.

OEM Tank = 7.4 Gallons.

Trail Tank = 10.1 Gallons

Net Extra Fuel = + 2.7 gallons or 36% more gas.

I am hoping that will more than balance out the addition of my new Supercharger and the extra fuel I will burn playing with it!!

Last edited by christopher; 09-14-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Garage

A Quick Test Fit.

It will likely be a couple weeks before I do the actual installation on this as I want to get the Super Charger fully installed first.

So this is just a quick test fit to get some idea how the tank mounts on the sled.

Torn Down Sled.

Tank sitting LOOSELY on the sled.
Tank will need to move forward (to the right) at least another full inch before it will mate up with the two mounting bolts at the far left.

Clearly several of the cables and hoses will have to be moved to allow the winglets on the tank to come all the way forward. Looks like pretty much anything that is mounted to the "hoop" portion of the frame is going to have to be removed from the frame and relocated as the tank takes every square inch of space it can get.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Garage

A quick look from the engine side of the sled.

Rider's Left Side Winglet

Looking down on top of the spark plugs.
Clearly, this is going to be a TIGHT FIT when it gets mounted in there.

Rider's Right side, showing where tank can not go forward to final mounting position because of interference with Cables and Hoses that will have to be relocated prior to final installation

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Currently: GOT BOOST?
TNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris i'm deff dropping your name so I can get all that free stuff to lol I will need one of these also for the MCx turbo. I had forgot all about it till I saw your thread,,thanks for reminding me. Better get this pup ordered. I want to ask which heat tape did you go with,,the heavy one?? From your pics I see it is going to be tight. winters comming,,,things to do...

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Garage

When I went to the web site to place the order I do NOT recall having any choice about which heat tape?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
grizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond repute

If you run the stock radiator you may want to shim it forward at the top bolts with a washer or two. The tank can interfere with the fan blades if it slides to far forward. I ran mine for almost a year before it started interfering with the fan.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...p%20fasteners/

The Following User Says Thank You to grizztracks For This Useful Post:
800tundra (02-06-2012)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 PM
dmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to dmc For This Useful Post:
christopher (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Currently: Hope 240 is enough?!
twincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Basic Member
grizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond reputegrizztracks has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Mister907 (12-30-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Currently: New femur and a new knee and more metal in hip!!
up-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond reputeup-high has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Currently: Planning a build
Basic Member
M5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM
TNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond reputeTNytro162 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

christopher (07-31-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Currently: waiting for winter
wilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond reputewilmot has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
merlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond reputemerlin2569 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register