• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7.5 wide - how much easier to pull

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I am looking at getting a new trailer this year. I have a 7x27 now and looking at a 7.5x27 with some more bells and whistles and a higher roof.

My question is how much easier is the 7.5' going to pull than a 8.5' wide? I do not have a diesel, so it needs to pull pretty easy.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
7.5 x 27

I pull a 7.5 x 24 with a 5' V - nose (29') with my 2004 5.3L Suburban. I cannot imagine towing it with the 8.5 wide, even with the nice V nose. I use some shorty mirror extenders and I can see fine.

My trailer is 6' tall inside, it's an R & R Powersports. Sits nice and low for the ramp angles.

I got 11 mpg going to Wyoming from Mpls. last spring on it's first time west.

The trailer would be perfect if it wasn't for the inner fenders. I have Edge style sleds so the stagger isn't as much as if they were IQ's or Pro's due to the belly pans.

http://www.rnrtrailers.com/

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I have had both a 8.5' and now have a 7' wide trailer. Pull with a 04 DOdge with the Cummins, the 7' wide uses on average about 7-8% less throttle..that's what my Edge module shows. The 8.5" is only a 14' trailer and is steel, the 7' is a 27' aluminum. Both weigh pretty close to the same weight. The 8.5' gets thrown around by the wind noticably more than my 7' does.

Premium Features