• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 D7 Lacking "hero snow" hill climbing ability

F
Dec 15, 2009
Sonora
So I was out the other day in the Sonora Pass area bout 9000ft and was out climbed by a stock 06 600. My sled sounds and feels good in the flats and small hill climbs but when I attempt to bag a peak e.g. long slow gradual climb getting progressively steeper, my sled just seems to bog down leaving me helpless and alone while everybody else is enjoying a view! I Was wondering if anybody had some ideas to check for or things that might cause this like belt wear or hyfax wear. I forgot to look at the rpms as I turned around but I'm normally gettting 7400. Any info is greatly appreciated :wave:

F
Dec 15, 2009
Sonora
I'm not mechanically inclined enough to check your suggestions but I will take your advice to my local shop. We have 15 feet of snow still so lots of riding to be done. I don't have the patience to figure it out on my own right now. I bought the sled from a dude in Mammoth with 2000 miles on it so I don't know the maintenance history. It does have an after market primary on it so the weight may be off. Good to know the rpms I should be getting. Thanks

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
So I was out the other day in the Sonora Pass area bout 9000ft and was out climbed by a stock 06 600. My sled sounds and feels good in the flats and small hill climbs but when I attempt to bag a peak e.g. long slow gradual climb getting progressively steeper, my sled just seems to bog down leaving me helpless and alone while everybody else is enjoying a view! I Was wondering if anybody had some ideas to check for or things that might cause this like belt wear or hyfax wear. I forgot to look at the rpms as I turned around but I'm normally gettting 7400. Any info is greatly appreciated :wave:
RPM's are way low, you should be up to 8200 to 8300. Have the clutches checked and new springs put in. Also clean the exhaust valves. Get the RPM's back and you will be amazed how well this sled will run! I have this same machine with a little clutch work it rips! :nod:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
RPM's are way low, you should be up to 8200 to 8300. Have the clutches checked and new springs put in. Also clean the exhaust valves. Get the RPM's back and you will be amazed how well this sled will run! I have this same machine with a little clutch work it rips! :nod:
what he said, plus put a delrin in the secondary, it helps keep the spring from bindingup and helps backshift....

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa

What elevation do you normally ride at? If you haven't changed your clutching you could use a shallower helix ie. 40 or 38 vs. the stock 42. You'll probably need to drop weight in the primary as well.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
This is what I have, a 58/40/36 helix in the secondary with a delrin washer under the spring cup with a stock spring. A polaris almond spring in the primary with 10/60 weights. I see you were riding at 9000 ft you might need to go to 10/58 to keep the RPM's up.

Premium Features