• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Returning Fuel System Question

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
I recently installed a bung into the fuel injection rail on my Nytro in effort to make it a returning system like the apex. I took the sled out today and now my rising rate regulator no longer increases fuel pressure as the boost comes on. To troubleshoot I pulled off the sensing line from the charge tube regulator and connected it to a regulated shop air supply. By adjusting the regulator I could then manipulate the injection pressure as you would expect. I also noticed the AFR would drop from 13:1 to 11.5:1 as I increased the pressure at idle.. Sounds good right?? Well hooked it back up to the charge tube and took it for a spin to find the same issue fuel pressure stuck at 40psi regardless of boost pressure.. Now I'm wondering if my plumbing is correct..

Plumbing before:
Standard PL stage 3. Fuel tank to fuel pump to TEE fitting supplying both the rising rate regulator and fuel rail. Regulator returns to the tank.

Plumbing now:
Fuel tank to fuel pump to injection rail through rail to regulator and back to the tank.

Regulator is a 2:1 FZ1 Power Valve whatever that is supplied with the PL kit. Did I do something wrong?? The regulator senses from the charge tube, and all my other boxes and guages sense from the intercooler.. Boost was approx 10psi while testing.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance. Seanny

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
It sounds like you have it plumbed right. That is weird that you can pump up the regulator when idling and it will increase pressure but it wont do it when you are riding. I cant even think how that would happen other than not having a good boost signal off the charge tube. But like you said you are getting 10 lbs on your boost gauge which is measuring downstream of the charge pipe.

If you crank in the regulator when it is off and then turn the key on, does the fuel pressure increase past what it was set at before?

Did you ride it this year before you made the changes?

Did you double check to make sure your charge piping nipple is not blocked?

Last edited:
S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
update

After further testing with extra guages and a new regulated supply i found the regulator only putting out 1:1 instead of 2:1 at idle. I also found the fuel pressure to slightly drop off as i brought the rpm/boost up on a jack stand (although its really hard to build and maintain boost on a stand) Anyway long story longer, I took the fuel pressure regulator entirely apart for inspection. Found nothing out of the ordinary, re-installed and voila 2:1 gain is back! Going to take it out on the snow again tomorrow.

Premium Features