• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summarizing sled?

C

crooklyn

Aug 27, 2009
Prince George, BC
So what do i have to do to summarize my sled for storage?
I havent riden it in 2 months, so i think i'm getting a late start on it but what do i need to?
It has almost a full tank of gas (was being optimistic)

Thanks for the advice

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
i just take almost all my gas out and run some sea foam threw it then just prop up your track so you don't have any wieght on your track

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Drain out as much of the gas as you can. Then put sea foam in the tank and run it until it dies. Then I put a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder. I put dryer sheets in the air box and exhaust and a few under the hood to keep the mice away. I also put the sled up on a lift and back the springs loose off the stocks.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
storage

i dont want to repost on the 2 above but that is pretty much what i do also...after putting the oil in each cyl pull the rope a few time to get the oil worked around on the cyl walls...good luck...

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Drain out as much of the gas as you can. Then put sea foam in the tank and run it until it dies. Then I put a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder. I put dryer sheets in the air box and exhaust and a few under the hood to keep the mice away. I also put the sled up on a lift and back the springs loose off the stocks.

Putting oil in the cylinder does not do any thing for the crankshaft. You need to fog the motor the last time you run it ( do this when you put the sea foam in it). use a good fogging oil, most dealer can get it for you. If you do not fog the motor it can get condensation in it and that can make the bearing on the crank start to rust.:face-icon-small-hap

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Putting oil in the cylinder does not do any thing for the crankshaft. You need to fog the motor the last time you run it ( do this when you put the sea foam in it). use a good fogging oil, most dealer can get it for you. If you do not fog the motor it can get condensation in it and that can make the bearing on the crank start to rust.:face-icon-small-hap

Wash it up and let it dry. Grease the chassis/driveline/suspension.Either completely fill the fuel tank or drain it as much as possible.Change the chaincase oil and tension the chain while you are at it. As clutch man stated above-use fogging oil-we fire up the motor and let it warm up to burn off existing condensation, then turn off the fuel valve(if it has one-some do, some don't)-the point is to run the carbs out of fuel for storage. Wile it's running, spray the fogging oil into the carburetors and keep the motor at a high idle to keep it running. Typically 1/2 a can or so of fogging oil will be injested by the motor before it runs out of fuel-that is plenty to completely coat the internals of the motor and the inside of the exhaust (which also rusts like crazy all summer if you don't fog).
You will be standing in a thick cloud of white smoke if you do this properly!
Next, remove the drive belt from the clutches and make sure the clutches are dry. If it has serviceable shocks, get the oil in them changed(same reasons-they WILL have moisture in them and will corrode through the summer if you don't get the moisture out). If possible, get the weight of the sled off the springs and track. If you do all of this you will minimize chances of corrosion and goo build up and the sled will be ready to ride next fall with only a spark plug change after firing up and burning out the fogging oil.

Also, I have seen sea foam turn the viton tips on carburetor inlet needles into a sticky mess causing the inlet needle to stick to the seat and starve the motor for fuel since the bowl couldn't fill...just my .02.

Curt

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

I forgot to post the fogging part. I actually do that as well.

The stuff I use comes in spray cans that you spray in the carbs with the sled running until it dies. The oil down the cylinders is just to coat them to help in case of condensation.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So what do i have to do to summarize my sled for storage?
I havent riden it in 2 months, so i think i'm getting a late start on it but what do i need to?
It has almost a full tank of gas (was being optimistic)

Thanks for the advice

Dont do anything for storage, Everyone on this forum will start it several times during the summer just to inhale the 2 stroke anyways

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I fogged my '01 rmk at the end of last season with kawa-chem fogging oil (it's what I could find) and at the beginning of the season when we got our first real freeze my motor literally froze up. So was this the fogging oil? I don't know, but another guy on this forum told me he had the same problem once. Just be aware.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
I fogged my '01 rmk at the end of last season with kawa-chem fogging oil (it's what I could find) and at the beginning of the season when we got our first real freeze my motor literally froze up. So was this the fogging oil? I don't know, but another guy on this forum told me he had the same problem once. Just be aware.

Fogging oil is just that-oil! its just in a spray can so your motor can injest it while running which is the best way to distribute it on all of the internal parts.
Think of it like wd-40 but thicker. I've never used Kawa-chem anything but I can't imagine any fogging oil freezing???:face-icon-small-sho
Is it possible it hydrolocked from having to much oil in it? Describe "literally froze up"

curt

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
1.) Stabil in the gas and run sled long enough to get the Stabil through the fuel line and into the carbs
2.) turn off fuel line valve and run sled until all gas out of carbs and sled stalls
3.) 1 oz of oil down each spark plug hole followed by a few slow tugs on the pull cord
4.) grease it
5.) keep sun and rain off sled

I usually leave only 1/4 tank or less of gas in it and fill with fresh gas the following winter along with a bottle of the HEET to displace any condensation issues.

Sometimes I've lazy and dont pull the belt or set the rear skid on a 2 x 4 to raise the paddles off the trailer......never seemed to create a problem.

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Fogging oil is just that-oil! its just in a spray can so your motor can injest it while running which is the best way to distribute it on all of the internal parts.
Think of it like wd-40 but thicker. I've never used Kawa-chem anything but I can't imagine any fogging oil freezing???:face-icon-small-sho
Is it possible it hydrolocked from having to much oil in it? Describe "literally froze up"

curt

Exactly, which I suspect therein lies the problem. Could be the propellant, I'm not sure. When I say my motor froze up, I mean water somehow collected in the bottom end and "literally froze" (hence) when the mercury dropped. The sled was outside and yes it was covered. :noidea:

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
crank repair

Dont do anything for storage, Everyone on this forum will start it several times during the summer just to inhale the 2 stroke anyways

I have had to do allot of crank repair because people do this.
running your motor only a 1 or 2 times a month in the summer will not keep condensation from getting to the crank. Do Not Do This.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
froze up

You had some other problem there that let water get in to your motor.
I have been using fogging oil for over ten years and my sleds sit out side from June until mid December and I have never had any crank problems.

Premium Features