• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

And the Build Begins.....A 900 RAW RMK from the ground up.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here are some more from to today before I hit the rack..:yawn::moon:

A bit of confusion with the Powder coater today had me driving down like a madman for 2 hours today... :tape::face-icon-small-ton

Got a little time today to get the steering hoop setup and bolted in... I had a 2007 600 hoop on hand and the front tank hold down brackets were in the wrong place :face-icon-small-dis.. so I fabbed up some new ones and welded them on. They turned out OK.

First... new tank pads on top of the tunnel Polaris #'s 5813076, 5813057
Tankpad.jpg

Tankpadsinstalled.jpg

2007 600 Hoop before...mounts... I can see where they need to be.:face-icon-small-coo
Steeringhoopbeforetankbrackets.jpg

Cutout, bent and welded in place:
:face-icon-small-coo
TankBracketWelded.jpg

Dense foam-rubber Pads for the hold downs. Some Good quality Double sided tape to the rescue.

Tankpads.jpg

Final mounting with some spray-bomb touch up.
TankBracketwithpadinstalled.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
:typing::typing::typing::typing::typing::typing::typing::typing::typing::typing:

Next.. Put a little splash of color on her... I need some momentum and smile makers.:face-icon-small-sho

Took the stock running board support tubes and got them powdercoated. :whoo:

Polaris "Vertical Escape" yellow Powdercoat Riveted in place With High Strength Black Rivets from Polaris Part #7661638

SpalshOcolor.jpg

splashOcolor2.jpg

Mated to the, now, final mounted Steering hoop
Steeringhoopmounted.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Which brings me to the SPG bumpers...

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductar/bumpers.html

I chose the SPG for their quality, light yet strong aluminum construction and great price point. Good quality welds on these parts too. I have a lot of respect for the SPG parts in general. Good work from the Hawksworth family!!

The front is the bumper made for the 2009/2010 RMK's. Powder coated to match the tunnel assembly!

On with the lower bumper bracket...Stock 2010/09 part
Lowerfrontbumperbracket.jpg

Then... The Stock 2010/09 bumper/swaybar mounting brackets...Again stock 2010/09 part

First Mock it up
FrontBumper-swaybarhangermockup.jpg

Then Drill for the Rivet
Drillforlocatingrivet.jpg

Rivet it on and end result Using Polaris # 7661130 high strength rivets..darn the dust shows up in the photos :face-icon-small-fro
Rivetonbumperbracket.jpg

withrivetbumperbracket.jpg

Bumper installed

SPGfrontbumper.jpg

SPGbumperdownview.jpg

SPGfrontbumperheadon.jpg

Then the Beautiful SPG Rear bumper

Mounted to the sled using the stock bumper mounting holes.. I installed the rear close off plate at the same time using High Strength Black Rivets from Polaris Part #7661638

SPGRearBumper.jpg

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Is that your shop? The shop looks as first class as the project.

yeah... that looks like the Timbersled machine in the background... :face-icon-small-sho

Plus hood hangin from the rafters.. and decals on the tool box...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Nice.

Chassis to chassis, how much lighter is the 2007-10 Dragon IQ RMK chassis than the 2005-06 IQ RMK chassis?

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I will be the first to admit i am not that smart of a guy. so don't take this wrong.

But is the 900 motor that much better than todays 800? It seems like alot of work to mate the bulk head up to the tunnel for that motor. Or is this a project to just have something different?

just curious. Alan's shop sure is nice.

tim

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
But is the 900 motor that much better than todays 800? It seems like alot of work to mate the bulk head up to the tunnel for that motor. Or is this a project to just have something different?

this one of the questions...where...if you have to ask it..you would never understand...its a 900 monster that wont be touched...

only a true 900 fan would understand...and i do, lol..

lots of questions from guys..but mine is simple..i would assume..

why the 06 bulkhead? versus an 05?

--is it for future drop and roll
--the layout of the jackshaft
--compatibility with newer drive parts (chaincase/drivers/ ect)

or just what you had access to..

would it much harder to do this process with an 05 bulkhead..

thanks eric..

EXCELLENT progress and craftsmanship...truely TOP notch..

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
this one of the questions...where...if you have to ask it..you would never understand...its a 900 monster that wont be touched...

thanks eric..

I too understand... being a 900 guy. I will admit that our cult of 900 guys is much more powerful than any ditch pickle family! lol

Guido,
Not saying that it couldn't be done, but the 05's are so much different, with the different chaincases, steering, steering posts, steering hoop, coolant lines... That I can see how it would be much easier and more sensible to start in with an 06 bulkhead. When I was considering this swap, i did quite a bit of studying and research between the different bulkheads and tunnels, the 05,06, and 07s. The 06 and 07s were very close in similarities and measurements, whereas the 05s were WAY different and would take some more fabbing to get it done, there again, not saying it couldn't be done... nothing is impossible. Anyway it turns out, this is going to be a sick build! Can't wait to see the finished product. Eric, what led you to the color scheme choice of yellow and black? Looks good~

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
But even then would not an 06 bulkhead allow for an 05 motor? I might be wrong but thought an 07 chassis had "mount holes" and room for 900 engine and the "plumbing"was the problem. As an 07 900 was almost a reality!!??
#&*+*^# Polaris....:tape::crazy:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
But even then would not an 06 bulkhead allow for an 05 motor? I might be wrong but thought an 07 chassis had "mount holes" and room for 900 engine and the "plumbing"was the problem. As an 07 900 was almost a reality!!??

Actually, Polaris had a run of 07 RAW chassis sleds with 900 motors in them... believe it or not. i believe there were only like 9 or 10 of them made??? I remember one being in the swap meet a couple years ago. Looked sweet!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I too understand... being a 900 guy. I will admit that our cult of 900 guys is much more powerful than any ditch pickle family! lol

Guido,
Not saying that it couldn't be done, but the 05's are so much different, with the different chaincases, steering, steering posts, steering hoop, coolant lines... That I can see how it would be much easier and more sensible to start in with an 06 bulkhead. When I was considering this swap, i did quite a bit of studying and research between the different bulkheads and tunnels, the 05,06, and 07s. The 06 and 07s were very close in similarities and measurements, whereas the 05s were WAY different and would take some more fabbing to get it done, there again, not saying it couldn't be done... nothing is impossible. Anyway it turns out, this is going to be a sick build! Can't wait to see the finished product. Eric, what led you to the color scheme choice of yellow and black? Looks good~

Not to mention the fact that the 06's handle SO MUCH better than the 05's. Pretty easy decision IMO.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Food For Thought

I will be the first to admit i am not that smart of a guy. so don't take this wrong.

just curious. Alan's shop sure is nice.

tim

The 900 is a unique motor...not just in design, but in HOW it makes power.. Sure, the 900 had/has some durability issues, but most if not all of them have been solved by aftermarket mfgs like Indy Specialties, Compfusion, FatBoyzFrienchie Products etc (all "micro" niche companies BTW)... as well as SLP, Carls etc.

The 900's produce massive amounts of low end torque from the 80mm stroke... a full 10mm longer than the 70mm of the 800 CFi's (for comparison... the difference between the 700 small block CFi and the 800 CFi is only 2mm, 70mm compared to 68mm).

This equates to throttle response and pure climbing abilities.

This in addition to the very respectable numbers top end of this motor in mild mod form...the 900 in the SLP Performance package makes 173 hp on pump gas... the Struthers 975 numbers I have seen are around 182 on pump/race gas mix... This engine has some serious throttle response and low end "grunt".. even in the stock form.

Now, as always, there is no free lunch... this motor is heavier by about 15 lbs over the 800 CFi... a lot of that in the crank. This long stroke, heavier crank produces more gyroscopic effect...which equates to a bit less "flickable" feel in comparison to it's small block brethren.

In particular.. the main complaint of many 900 CFi Critics (actually an 866cc powerplant) was the vibration levels and the crankshaft failure rate... The new Torquemaster III bottom ends and Billet cranks with the 33mm Primary taper have elimiated most of that... In addition, if I were to go big-bore on this sled, larger pistons of the 975's (I have one sitting in the wings if I choose to go that route) improve the dynamic balance of the engine and reduce vibes.

thanks eric..

Sean, Thank you for the props!!

The 2006 was chosen because of the shorter chaincase of that year compared to the previous 2005 model...
  • 2005 chaincase has 11.35" center distance on the sprockets
  • 2006-2010 has 8.37" center distance on the sprockets

This 3" shorter chaincase is lighter and places the rotational mass of the jackshaft and secondary clutch lower in the sled... Lower CG equates to better handling in this chassis. Smaller chancase and chain equate to less weight.

Also, this DOES open up the possiblilty of using aftermarket goodies for the newer RAW Chassis... PLUS the use of already available D&R kits if I chose to go that route.

You can put the shorter 2006 case in the 2005 chassis... been there, done that.... but it is a LOT of work and expense.

Yes... Sort of.

The steering from the 2006 would also have to be transplanted to put the 2005 motor in the 2006... It is different to clear the jackshaft and injector layout on the motor.

You are correct... the FRONT crossmember-motormount holes (4) are still in the RAW chassis (2007 - 2011). Some of the challenges that you need to work with to put the 900 in this are...
  • The shock tower connector brace on the RAW chassis is a seperate steel structure that would need to be modified to clear the exhaust outlet/y-pipe on the 900
  • The Rear motor mounts would need to transplanted from the 900 and the bulkhead modified to fit... OR run the Holz/Struthers rear mounts or complete kit that may/may-not be available again.
  • The torque stop on the PTO side are mounted to the bulkhead side-plate... this would need to be moved to a custom made plate or have the plate moved to the new chassis.

Actually, Polaris had a run of 07 RAW chassis sleds with 900 motors in them... believe it or not. i believe there were only like 9 or 10 of them made??? I remember one being in the swap meet a couple years ago. Looked sweet!

Yes they did!! Which is what made me realize that this project is possible. They had different motor mounts, air boxes, steering etc.

Exactly...so where are the rest of them? And would an 07 chassis be a "bolt in"??????

They were dismantled and crushed by the factory. No, not a "bolt in"...(see above)

More coming soon!!

Last edited:
Premium Features