• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket Throttle Body Boots?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I ran across a post on another forum about using a Kimpex TB boot as a replacement. Personally, I wasn't even aware that anyone besides Polaris made TB boots for our sleds... Has anyone ever tried using anything other than a stock TB boot to replace a cracked one on a 900?

MY LOCAL SPEED SHOP FOUND THEM NEW IN THE KIMPEX CATALOG $20 EACH

THANKS

:eek::confused::confused:

Anyone?

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
After paying 52 a piece that would be nice to know...especially if they are worthwhile..

F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
I was shared with this- put a strip about 2" wide x 5" long of heat resistance tape over the top of the boots. Summit sells a good tape for up to 750 degrees. I got mine on and I also doubled the tape- no more problems.
Just make sure to wipe the boots off first- with rubbing alcohol or isophoral

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Bingo!!

I was shared with this- put a strip about 2" wide x 5" long of heat resistance tape over the top of the boots. Summit sells a good tape for up to 750 degrees. I got mine on and I also doubled the tape- no more problems.
Just make sure to wipe the boots off first- with rubbing alcohol or isophoral

^^^ ALL LAST YEAR WITH THIS ON MINE...and ZERO issues..!!

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
I found the tb boots in the kimpex catalog by application but there's no pic and the oem pn they show is different than the oem pn I found on the oem polaris parts lookup site. The boots are only 15 a piece so maybe it's worth a shot. I could always send em back if they're wrong or not worth a dam.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Got a part #?

I ordered some out of my book last year and they sent me the intake plenum boots, they weren't the TB adapter boots. It would sure be nice to have access to them on the aftermarket though, especially if the new Polaris parts aren't designed to last any longer than the ones that were all cracked to crap on mine at 600 miles.

I put a couple layers of the heat tape over mine when I installed them, figured heat from the pipe was probably the main contributor to the failure.

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Got a part #?

I ordered some out of my book last year and they sent me the intake plenum boots, they weren't the TB adapter boots. It would sure be nice to have access to them on the aftermarket though, especially if the new Polaris parts aren't designed to last any longer than the ones that were all cracked to crap on mine at 600 miles.

I put a couple layers of the heat tape over mine when I installed them, figured heat from the pipe was probably the main contributor to the failure.

Do you have a pic of the tape on the boots? I thought of doing that also since I'm putting new ones on. Just can't figure the best way to do it.

F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
Heat is the destroyer on these- the high temp silicone would work for small cracks- but does not disapate the heat away from the rubber.
Heat reflactive tape will work awsome- but they must be clean first so the tape can adhere.
Pics to follow:beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The heat tape or some heat shield sounds like a great idea!! good work.

The rubber compound on the early boots all the way into 2006 was different from what is available as a replacement now.

I'm interested in seeing if these are the reed/TB boots or the other ones...

F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
Here is a pick of the tape-and the summit number.
I put mine on the top of the boots and about a inch down the sides-

Summit 350104 Heat Tape, Self-Adhesive, Insulating Tape, 1 3/8 in. x 15 ft., Each

Product Code: SUM-350104
Manufacturer: Summit
UPC: N/A
Condition: New

Summit® heat tape easily adheres to almost any surface. The heat tape is 1 3/8 in. wide and 15 ft. long.

Last edited:
D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
Ok, the oem tb boot #s I found were 1253540 and 1203917. The oem # for this application in the kimpex book is 1203453 and the kimpex # is 07-103-05. So the oem #s don't match and there's no pic of it in the kimpex book to compare but it is listed in the section with all the other carb and tb boots so it could be right. I guess I'll just order a set and find out. Let me know if anyone has any clarification on the subject, thanks.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok, the oem tb boot #s I found were 1253540 and 1203917. The oem # for this application in the kimpex book is 1203453 and the kimpex # is 07-103-05. So the oem #s don't match and there's no pic of it in the kimpex book to compare but it is listed in the section with all the other carb and tb boots so it could be right. I guess I'll just order a set and find out. Let me know if anyone has any clarification on the subject, thanks.

Have you tried doing a search for the OEM part number that Kimpex has posted to try to get a better idea of what they are talking about?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Have you tried doing a search for the OEM part number that Kimpex has posted to try to get a better idea of what they are talking about?

I just did a google search of the # 1203453 and the only straightforward answer I got was from a motorsports parts website that said...

Part number........................Description
1203917.............................Supercedes 1203453

So that would indicate to me that the Kimpex boot is a replacement for the original part number... so it should be the correct part. There was no picture on the site tho.

F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
I do not think those are the right boots- called my dealer in Greatfalls today to get me a price on the TB boots-just for kicks- they said they were 20.00 ea- I said are you sure- eric said ooops- those are the intakes not the TB'S. Factory's are around 51.00ea.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
If you want the Kimpex cross to Polaris 1203917, I have a few hanging on the board that I ordered hoping they would be the TB boot, but they were just the intake boot for the airbox to plenum.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Hmm, well I guess that answers that question... would have been nice if it was the actual TB boots...

Thanks for the info gents:beer;:beer;

Premium Features