• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 800 BD Pump Gas - Throttle Body Boot & Boost Loss Issues

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I have read about the issues of the throttle body boots tearing on some boosted Dragons. I contacted Boondockers about this and they said that have a brace to help with this issue. I installed the brace with a new boot and took a few pics to show what it was.

Boondocker Brace

McCall2_09179.jpg

It goes over the boot like this

McCall2_09176.jpg

Looks this this installed

McCall2_09182.jpg

I was also having issues with not being able to build enough boost. I traced and took apart the entire turbo system (now I understand how it works completely) and all lines and components. I run the mini-intercoller on mine with a blow off valve. What I found was that the BOV had been overtightened onto the inner cooler. There are 3 set screws around the base of the BOV that are used to hold it on with an o-ring seal. What had happened was that by overtightening the set screws, the BOV flange in the cooler got somewhat triangulated from the pressure at the 3 points of the set screws. This deformed the flange to the point that the oring was not sealing and I was loosing boost around the BOV mount.

I had a couple roll overs lately that puked some turbo oil into the charge tube. I saw oil residue on and around the flange for the BOV so I know it was leaking by at that point. Just a heads up for the rest of you if your not seeing the boost you should be. I cant wait to try it now. BTW, with the controller maxed out I was only seeing a max boost of 8psi on the BD stats.

Heres some pics

BOV sits on the flange with set screws in the holes at the bottom

McCall2_09171.jpg

Set screws were dimpled in to the point of almost coming through the inside of the flange. This is what distorted the round shape of the flange causing it to not seal properly.

McCall2_09175.jpg

Hope this helps. Have a good one. EW

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Brad, the boots tearing on the dragons...is this just a matter of time b/4 they do or is it just a few that have had issues?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I think it depends on how much boost your running, seems like much over 8 lbs and they aren't going to last too long. I was running about 9.5 when my boost blew out. Talked to brad and had the plate in time for the next ride.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
torn throttlebody boot

How did your sled run with the torn throttle body boot? Or did you just have low boost? I just put the mini cooler on mine, took it out for the first ride, cooked the pistons. Waiting for parts now. Haven't taken it totally apart yet to see the extent of the damage. Hopefully the turbo and the cylinders are ok.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
How did your sled run with the torn throttle body boot? Or did you just have low boost? I just put the mini cooler on mine, took it out for the first ride, cooked the pistons. Waiting for parts now. Haven't taken it totally apart yet to see the extent of the damage. Hopefully the turbo and the cylinders are ok.
Mine ran fine except it had a mid range hesitation and could only build 4 lbs of boost. And of course the clutching was way too much for it @ 4 lbs.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington

Ridge:

I am going to be riding either Salmo or Slocan on Sat. I have a couple Piston & Gasket sets for 08 800 if you need parts. Let me know. EW

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
Nice Pics. Thanks for sharing.

From what I've heard those Polaris boots aren't the best. There's been some tearing even on stock sleds. Boost seems to push the problem.

How have you like the BOV setup?

Premium Features