• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacons

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I'm going to pick up a beacon before our trip to the Snowies this March.
Have the choice narrowed down to BCA Tracker DTS or SOS SB.

What's the good & bad of each or which would you recommend?

A

Abominable

Dec 30, 2003
Evel Knievel jump site, ID
snowest.com
This probably isn't the response you are looking for, but IMO just get any of them and then spend the time you were going to use researching which one to buy practicing how to use it, then practice some more.. That is much more important than what kind you have, knowing how to use the one you have.

If it helps to know, I own a Tracker.
Reps to you for asking, be safe.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
this probably isn't the response you are looking for, but imo just get any of them and then spend the time you were going to use researching which one to buy practicing how to use it, then practice some more.. That is much more important than what kind you have, knowing how to use the one you have.

If it helps to know, i own a tracker.
Reps to you for asking, be safe.

great advice !!!!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
tracker was my choice. avy instructor didn't recomend the 200 sos but it would work

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
I'm going to pick up a beacon before our trip to the Snowies this March.
Have the choice narrowed down to BCA Tracker DTS or SOS SB.

What's the good & bad of each or which would you recommend?

just get one, learn how to use it, put it on at the truck, and try not to have to use it!! looked for the guy in the sicamous slide yesterday for 4 hours because he didn't have one!!! might have been able to get him soon enough if he had one!! he didn't make it!!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Like everyone said, get one and learn it.

With that said... I have a tracker and love it! If you hold on a bit you might be able to get a Tracker2. They are suppose to be released this month or next.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I just spent hours online researching the same question as I just bought a beacon. Between those two I would say the Tracker, that's what I bought. If you have a little more money I would say go with the Pieps. Make sure you get a good metal shovel and a good probe (thick enough and long enough) as well.

N

nathaniel11

Sep 26, 2003
Marshall, Mn
i might sound like a broken record but the key factor in choosing a beacon is how easy is it for you to operate. knowing how to use your beacon is huge after a slide

after learing about beacons in the avalanche course id stay away from the SOS just because they are still analog. i would spend the little bit of money and find one that is digital

just my 2 cents

R

rjm350

Mar 25, 2008
Lethbridge/Foremost
3 antenna beacon

It sounds like the general consensus is the same, learn how to use the beacon. One piece of advise I will give is if you are buying a beacon look for a 3 antenna beacon. It is slightly newer technology and helps with differentiate with difference flux lines, and this is very use full during the pin point. While pin pointing you are very close to being over top of the beacon you are looking fore, and this is when it becomes very helpfull to have the 3rd antenna/3D.
I have a tracker and it is very easy to use if there is only one beacon/person in the avalanche. However if there are 2 or more beacons barried close together (say within 6, 8 or 10 meters) it becomes much harder to pin point there locations because the tracker is getting up signals from all 2 or 3 beacons and it is directing you in 2 or 3 directions. With the newer beacons you can mark and ignore a beacon so you can focus on a single beacon.

I have attached a link with a bunch of reviews on them. I would personally recommend looking at Pulse Barryvox, Pieps DSP and Ortovox S1. I have just recently purchasing the Pulse.

The link:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...ryvoxPulse.htm

Cheers,

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
i might sound like a broken record but the key factor in choosing a beacon is how easy is it for you to operate. knowing how to use your beacon is huge after a slide

after learning about beacons in the avalanche course id stay away from the SOS just because they are still analog. i would spend the little bit of money and find one that is digital

just my 2 cents

actually, the sos beacon, in my experience, is a little harder to learn but it doesn't get confused, and if you run(which you probably will be) all the digital ones will tell you to hold still until they re orientate. you can go as fast as you like with the sos and it doesn't get confused.

Premium Features