• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacons?

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
Anyone have a beacon they dont use anymore? I am looking to purchase one or two nice beacons. This snowpack has me worried and i want to get one asap. Call me 801-472-7969 or text me if you have something good. Help a friend out

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
KSL.com My buddy just paid $100.00 for his. That is more important than gas geterdun!

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Sounds like you're looking for a deal. If so, don't let money interfere with quality and performance. I would look for a beacon that is within a few years old. You want one that has digital displays and shows direction and distance. Stay away from the old school beacons that only ping. Remember you need to find and be found, works both ways. You would hate yourself if you save 100 bucks on a low budget model and couldn't find a riding buddy fast enough.:confused:
Check Ebay and Craigs list too.

Good Luck and be safe

M

MTNDOO-

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 14, 2008
Ogden
Sounds like you're looking for a deal. If so, don't let money interfere with quality and performance. I would look for a beacon that is within a few years old. You want one that has digital displays and shows direction and distance. Stay away from the old school beacons that only ping. Remember you need to find and be found, works both ways. You would hate yourself if you save 100 bucks on a low budget model and couldn't find a riding buddy fast enough.:confused:
Check Ebay and Craigs list too.

Good Luck and be safe

+1 - Excellent advice SH. I personally lean towards the BCA Tracker (which I wear) and I also have been really impressed with the new PIEPS DSP Advanced. The multiple burial option and signal blocking as well as range is impressive. A little hard on Batteries though. Keep in mind that is replacing batteries like 2 times a season......maybe 3, as opposed to using one set in my BCA all season and still ending at around 80% battery life.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I agree with the above
Look here:
http://www.snowbigdeal.com/servlet/the-Avalanche-Beacons/Categories

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...partial&Ns=p_popular|0||p_name|0&Ntk=s_search

http://www.rei.com/category/40000102

and look in the swapmeet here and while you are at it buy a shovel and probe.
Also BCA has determined with research that finding the person is not the big time factor Shoveling is.
Good reads: http://www.backcountryaccess.com/english/research/index.php

And take a free class and save this site to check before you go.
http://utahavalanchecenter.org/

Have fun

Last edited:
D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
Dont worry i am not going to go cheap on one. I want one that will save my life and anyone i am riding with. I can replace a sled but cant replace a buddy or myself

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
I saw a deal last night. tagear.us had the new BCA tracker for $230! thats a pretty fair deal. Remember that you need a probe and good shovel too.
i highly recommend Voile for both. Alot of places like the links above have deals. Buy the beacon and get the probe and shovel thrown in for free.
And take a class, and listen to or call the UAFC every morning before headin out. UAFC does a snow report on KRCL 90.9 fm every morning at 7:50 am.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
Alright i'll keep looking around. Good to know about the reports. What is one of the best beacons? I have heard alot about BCS and Pieps. When i get my stuff i also want to take a class. Because all this gear and not knowing how to use it will do me no good. I think i will have a pack beacon shovel and probe by Christmas. Any courses coming up soon?

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Alright i'll keep looking around. Good to know about the reports. What is one of the best beacons? I have heard alot about BCS and Pieps. When i get my stuff i also want to take a class. Because all this gear and not knowing how to use it will do me no good. I think i will have a pack beacon shovel and probe by Christmas. Any courses coming up soon?

Ortovox is another to consider.
BCA TRACKER for $230 is a great deal.

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
I ride with the Tracker, and it is very user intuitive. If I was buried I would want my buddy to be searching with one. You can't go wrong with the BCA. But you need the whole set-up. Skills are priceless. I think we all could learn and practice more!

M

MTNDOO-

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 14, 2008
Ogden
That is the one i have been looking at. But for and extra $150 or so are the others that much better?

I love the BCA......they also just redesigned them so they are better now even than the 4 yr. old model I have. If I bought again I would get the BCA again, I think because I am comfortable with it now. I really like the multiple burial isolation of the PEIPS. There are also several locations in the state that have "Beacon Courses" set up where you can go test your skills with some buddies for free.

I second Voile......get a good aluminum shovel and a probe that is light enough to pack, yet sturdy enough to not get too much deflection in the snow. Voile is local and has great service and warranty. I have the combo one that is blue with the probe in the handle.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
I think i am going to get the BCS and a shovel probe combo. How about the Avalung packs? Are they worth it. I wouldnt mind spending a little extra and get that. I mean it would help more than nothing.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
I second Voile......get a good aluminum shovel and a probe that is light enough to pack, yet sturdy enough to not get too much deflection in the snow. Voile is local and has great service and warranty. I have the combo one that is blue with the probe in the handle.[/QUOTE]

That is the combo kit i am looking at. I like that concept. I think i will get the shovel. And i am pretty sure the BCS will be sweet. Now i just need to figure out what pack i want.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
What place does not support some green tree hugger save the earth type anymore?

Use the utah avy link I posted and there is a free and education links.

I work with ski patrol and most use BCA, Marmot (I have) and Ortho. It is not the beacon but the person using it.

SnowBird and Snow Basin have free training parks at the bases which do not require skis or anyother fee. Walk up and use it.

M

MTNDOO-

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 14, 2008
Ogden
That is the combo kit i am looking at. I like that concept. I think i will get the shovel. And i am pretty sure the BCS will be sweet. Now i just need to figure out what pack i want.

I ride with an OGIO pack....it is the three six backpack but I don't think that they make it anymore.....it turned into the PATROL. It is an awesome pack. Many have been happy with BCA's Stash packs, but I am an OGIO fan personally.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
Have you heard anything about the packs that have th Avalung on them? I dont know if it is worth it but it sounds sweet

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Ya I have one but I use it for skiing.
I think it would be difficult to get the mouth piece in under the helmet in an event of a slide.
Nice fitting packs and you can get the pack without the avlung

http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry_overview.php

A nice thing is that they are in salt lake so you can try them on and if there is a problem it can be solved easy.

Premium Features