• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I Been fighting a sparkplug problem for 2 years!!!!

I
i have an 02 summit 827 151. 2 years ago it started fowling plugs. it would junk the plug no fixing it. i put new plug in and it would run great for rest of the day. then it did it 4 times in one day. limped home. i put a coil pack on it from a difrent 02 800 summit. sweet it fixed it (so i thought) then the last ride last year it did it again. no biggy put a new plug in it. did it again in 2 mins. limped it home and have not done any thing with it.

what could be wrong with it? it runs spot on when it runs.

it must be burning the middle out of the plug bc they are junk when it does it.

plugs look great when i take them out?

is it in the carbs or the elc?

Please help!!!!

I
the plugs never spark again in any sled after they have been in this one.

when i changed coils i changed wires and plugs all at the same time. could be a ground problem?? ill look in to that.

denseo plugs seem to work the longest, think most are br9es that i use.

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
Is your problem on one cyl. or both? Had a Mach Z do the same thing years ago, turned out to be cracked O rings allowing in enough coolant to foul plug's but not enough that you could smell or see smoke from it. Good luck.

Have you tried checking the resistance of a dead plug? Is it oil fouling so that it is shorting out? Or is iot melting/burning the center electrode apart inside the Insulator? Usually, we take old plugs, but them on a gas burner stove, bake them cherry red fro 1/2 hr. This vaporizes all the oil and carbon traces off and they work again. usual cause from fouling is the oil will make a carbon trace on the insulator, This becomes conductive and effectively shorts the plug.

What Oil Mix you running? Still injected, how much oil do you go through. This used to be real common on old 2 stroke bikes running 32:1 oil mix

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
reeds maybe? my buddy's summit was fouling plugs, reeds on one side were chipped and cracked. would only foul them at slower speeds, ran good at wot. also was a pain to start sometimes, poor atomization I guess.

I
I don't know if it is both or just one? i sleep sence then!!! LOL

these plugs are junk i have cleaned lots of plugs and reused them not these ones.

don't think it is an oil problem and no coolent has been used sence i got the sled.

it is never hard to start un less one plug is dead.

never thought about the reeds, guess i can look at tehm.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
I have had the same thing happen---runs great for several rides then starts dumping plugs--maybe once--maybe several times in a ride. I tried all sorts of different things--It turned out to be the pick up on the flywheel--half the bracket for the pick up was broken--so it would move when I would hit a bump or hill just right.

Just another thing to check--it is easy to check and easier to replace.

Good luck.

H20SKE...

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
Sounds like either a ground issue or what about you voltage regulator.

have seen issues with the stators on these sleds but it is usually the stator going out.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
both plugs fire at the same time - they do it every 180 degrees of crankshaft.

i have seen wires go bad causing weak spark to both plugs. on some coils you can unscrew the wire from the coil and do an ohm test on them. there are specs out there somewhere.

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
Is the problem mainly on starting or just random during the ride? I changed wires last winter after a starting/ quick fouling problem last winter. Choke cables seem to be weak on zx's too.
Tom

M
On my 02 had the DPM lines loose the seal around on the carb fitting. So I would have a bog when I was in deep powder working the sled hard. So I was loosing vacuum and would go to a rich mixture. Pulled out the plugs a few times trying to figure out what was wrong and never seen a lot of oil on them. Check the pto side carb i think it might get some heat from the clutches and deteriorated the plastic line. Mabye on your sled you are getting some rich mixtures at times and ends up fouling the plug. Maybe not but worth checking those DPM lines.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Jetting? - as the engine gets a little worn and if the jetting was on the "edge" to begin with, might just be a jet issue. Happened once, took a season to figure it out, and only then while talking to an "elderly" sledder/mechanic. Fixed it in less than a 1/2 hour, no issues since, that was 2 years ago on a mountain max. Had a bad plug cap once as well causing some fouling. Good luck

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
On my daughter's 600 the fuel pump was bad, I rebuilt it to no avail. Finally replaced it and put Mikuni's on it and it runs good. Hubby rides it most of the time since his sled seems to be permenantly parked in the garage.

Premium Features