• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Klim F5 Helmet ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the new Klim F5 helmet ?

Looking at maybe trying the new F5 ECE or the F5 Koroyd ? Currently running a Troy Lee Designs SE3 and thinking about trying something new. I also need another helmet for side by side use, so I guess if this doesn't work for winter, I could always use it on the side by side.

Good / Bad, any experience or thoughts, let me know !!

https://www.klim.com/F5-Koroyd-Helmet-ECE-DOT-3992-000

https://www.klim.com/F5-Helmet-ECE-3910-000?quantity=1&color=583

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Iv been rocking the F5 Abyss Koroyd this year and really like it so far, im a little concerned how it will do on a below zero day because of its crazy ventilation. It has made for a perfect MX helmet this summer though. It is a couple oz heavier then my 509 Carbon.

I will just repost phattys review of it as he sums it up pretty well and it saves me some typing :p

"Klim F5 Helmet review:
Pros: lightweight, comfortable, fidlock, extremely well vented (like really well vented!), large goggle port, flat top for easy go pro mount.
Cons: fidlock, extremely well vented
Yes I know i have 2 items listed as pros and cons. I will get to those. First off the helmet is really light which eases strain on the neck and allows you to ride longer without fatigue. The helmet its self is very comfortable and fits my head well. The viewport is large and fits the oculus goggles well.
The helmet is so well vented that it can be borderline cold. This is awesome for slow moving, fighting in trees and creeks. This should help alot of people with fogging issues as the heat can get out of the helmet quickly. However, its so well vented that cruising down the trail at high speeds at 0 degrees is really cold, even with the goretex liner, this helmet moves some air through and cools you right down. This will be amazing in the summer.
The fidlock is both great and frustrating. Maybe I am just not used to it, but I cannot get the thing to lock with my thicker gloves on. I find myself having to take my thicker gloves off to get it to lock, which is annoying because I only wear thick gloves when its cold and i dont want to take them off. Maybe with some practice I will get better with it (i always used to buy the little clips that buckle in and out). I do love how easy it is to undo and with thin moto style gloves its super easy as well.
Overall I give the helmet 4/5 stars for winter, with the missing star because its super vented and cold on those early morning trail rides (even with headsock and goretex liner), but awesome in the trees later in the day.
For summer it will be an easy 5/5 for keeping one's head cool and not overheating. It is also light enough for use on my mtn bike.
Its a great step up from the F3-F4 IMO and I think many people will really enjoy this lid."

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the new Klim F5 helmet ? ]

I have always worn Klim Helmet and loved them. The latest version I had was the F3, LOVE IT! Was going to get the F5 but opted for the 509 Altitude Carbon Fiber. I have to say this is my favorite helmet of all times. It fits like a glove, even better than my experience with the KLIM. :face-icon-small-hap

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Try before you buy. I really like the way the F5 fits and feels, will likely be my next helmet. Beyond that I dont know much about it but I definitely wouldn’t buy a helmet based on someone else’s review. No ones melon is the same.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Try before you buy. I really like the way the F5 fits and feels, will likely be my next helmet. Beyond that I dont know much about it but I definitely wouldn’t buy a helmet based on someone else’s review. No ones melon is the same.

Definitely and I completely agree but.........it's kinda hard to "try" or "borrow" a high end helmet.

I was just hoping for some general input and advice good and bad.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wore my F5 all last season and am picking up another one for this upcoming season.

HUGE ventilation!!
Make sure you pack a warm sock on cold days!
But if you get hot or tend to sweat hard, you will love it.
Super lightweight on you neck.

And once you get the buckle down it’s much easier to use than the old style.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Definitely and I completely agree but.........it's kinda hard to "try" or "borrow" a high end helmet.

I was just hoping for some general input and advice good and bad.

Gotchya, just assumed your Polaris dealer likely has them. Guessing most dealers carry Klim now that they are owned by Poo, maybe not tho.

Haydays is a great place to try on helmets and is worth the trip if you’ve never been :face-icon-small-hap

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Wore my F5 all last season and am picking up another one for this upcoming season.

HUGE ventilation!!

I assume you run with the Gortex liner ? Or do you leave that out and just run a heavier balaclava when needed??? Also are you using the breath guard at all???

My head doesn't sweat a ton but it would be nice to have more air flow, especially when a guy is breathing hard and moving. My current Troy Lee Designs SE3 has worked great but sometimes it feels a little restrictive with regard to breathing, if that makes sense ??? It does have a breath box in it, which I know will mess with this a little.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I assume you run with the Gortex liner ? Or do you leave that out and just run a heavier balaclava when needed??? Also are you using the breath guard at all???

My head doesn't sweat a ton but it would be nice to have more air flow, especially when a guy is breathing hard and moving. My current Troy Lee Designs SE3 has worked great but sometimes it feels a little restrictive with regard to breathing, if that makes sense ???

Ran the gortex inner liner all winter long. Way TOO much ventilation for my BALD head without it. Even so, there were days on the trail ride portion up to the play grounds where my head got COLD. But once I was on the standing position and RIDING The added ventilation was very welcome!!!

I use the breath guard depending on temp and exertion levels. Sometimes it’s in and others I snap it out.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Ran the gortex inner liner all winter long. Way TOO much ventilation for my BALD head without it. Even so, there were days on the trail ride portion up to the play grounds where my head got COLD. But once I was on the standing position and RIDING The added ventilation was very welcome!!!

I use the breath guard depending on temp and exertion levels. Sometimes it’s in and others I snap it out.

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure I'm going to give one a try.

You running the ECE or the Koroyd ???

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure I'm going to give one a try.

You running the ECE or the Koroyd ???

ECE
a0c6c42db376325e1ec57fbd2f624359.jpg

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I know this thread is getting a little old just wanted to mention F5 is ECE rated not street legal. the F5 Koroyd is ECE / DOT rated. Legal for on-road use

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR

HUGE ventilation!!

Did you get the Gore-Tex wind stopper liner last year? I just picked up my F5 and installed the little liner thing. The ventilation worried me too before I knew about the liner. Hoping it works as advertised and doesn't induce localized brain freeze.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Did you get the Gore-Tex wind stopper liner last year? I just picked up my F5 and installed the little liner thing. The ventilation worried me too before I knew about the liner. Hoping it works as advertised and doesn't induce localized brain freeze.

The other thing you can do is, custom cut some small closed cell foam pieces to fit into the vent channels from the inside. I already did this and have them ready, just in case I need to put them in to close things up a bit and provide a little added warmth.

Premium Features