• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm very surprised that manufacturers still produce loud cans. In today's environment your just asking for another riding area to be shut down with the loud echo...we are currently going through a closure of an area in SW Alberta Rockies with our government....it sucks to think the area I grew up riding will be shutdown to off road usage.....So my point is don't give them a reason to notice you.......

Great points.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm very surprised that manufacturers still produce loud cans. In today's environment your just asking for another riding area to be shut down with the loud echo...we are currently going through a closure of an area in SW Alberta Rockies with our government....it sucks to think the area I grew up riding will be shutdown to off road usage.....So my point is don't give them a reason to notice you.......

I agree, wholeheartedly !!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I belong to two local snowmobile clubs and one state wide association, MNUSA.
We have approximately 2000 miles of state trails and 20,000 miles of Grant-n-aid trails which are on private land. We have to get the private land owners permission to have a trail on their property. I know because I am one of those land owners. I have been at meetings with the land owners, the DNR, and town board meetings. The three big bitches were/are, off trail riding, noise, and exhaust smell. Snowmobilers bitch about regulation but it is regulation that forced the manufactures to do something about, noise and exhaust. It's no accident that snowmobiles were let back into Yellowstone National Park at least to some degree. :clock:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I belong to two local snowmobile clubs and one state wide association, MNUSA.
We have approximately 2000 miles of state trails and 20,000 miles of Grant-n-aid trails which are on private land. We have to get the private land owners permission to have a trail on their property. I know because I am one of those land owners. I have been at meetings with the land owners, the DNR, and town board meetings. The three big bitches were/are, off trail riding, noise, and exhaust smell. Snowmobilers bitch about regulation but it is regulation that forced the manufactures to do something about, noise and exhaust. It's no accident that snowmobiles were let back into Yellowstone National Park at least to some degree. :clock:

This 100%

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
The Federal Government law says snowmobile are regulated to "76 dB on the A scale" and that is what the MFR's make them stock. Not bad when you consider the power, reliability and performance.

We are conducting a mass experiment where individuals, left to their own honor system, are allowed to ride, as guests of the Federal Government, on federal land, at a nominal cost. The entertainment is beyond my wildest imagination and my family has enjoyed this for 47 years.

Why would we put this in jeopardy? Just to have a loud exhaust? At Mt Baker the feds use a noise meter to ticket riders of machines that have exhaust noise above an easy to reach standard. Then the statistics and fines are used by our enemies to say "See, they cannot be trusted to follow the law".

I want to be riding for a while longer as this is the best time of my life! To have a loud sled (or dirt bike) just runs contrary to all we as a sporting community want for the future riding access to areas, no matter how you personally feel about your "right" to a loud exhaust. As guests of the Federal Government you can be excluded at the stroke of a pen. Why do anything to empower those who seek to end the best thing we have going?

We are not guests of the federal government we are there employers and that federal land belongs to us. So whether you like loud exhaust or not it is our land and legislatures are abusing there power listening to lobbyist. I believe the majority would like access to these lands to stay open but it is the voice of the few that is being herd.

T
May 7, 2017
Yeah its always nice to keep exhaust to a minimal level yet still make great power, BUT I am totally opposed to ANY more laws telling me what I can and can't do.
These land "grabs" are not about "noise" or "green" they are the best way to just give the federal goverment more control over OUR lands. States should start taking back our forrest areas and start kicking the feds out. It is fast coming to the point that we the people will have to start taking back OUR lands.

Keep PUBLIC lands PUBLIC !!! they are there for the people !!
You got that right on so many levels

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
We do have some light weight options now that are around stock levels. SLP has been doing a good job with this for years. They may not be the lightest but much lighter than stock and still offer nice performance gains if you add their pipe as well.

X32

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2014
I enjoy dirtbiking in the summer(Mostly Idaho) snowmobiling in the winter, boating in Florida, as much as I love the activity, The beauty, tranquility and sheer majesty of nature is equally as cherished and often ruined by loud, unnatural elements for what, a few additional horsepower which is always over promoted by the loud exhaust manufacturers. I’m sorry, it’s not worth it! I have argued with my kids and they’re loud dirtbike‘s but at least they are used on a dirtbike track, there single track bikes are quiet. I can’t stand for the most part tree huggers from the east or west coast telling those that enjoy the majesty of nature on what those that are enjoying it should be doing but I don’t have any arguments when they complain about loud noise and if we are to keep these amazing privileges we should illuminate anything we can’t defend with great arguments! Thanks

jlombard

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2018
I didn't read every post on this topic, someone may have brought this up already but let me give you some examples of situations where noise have caused an issue outside of sleds.

First I live in the Texas where we normally get to do what ever we want......

1. My sons car (nissan 350z) and 3 of his friends cars (Mazda Miata, Subaru WRX, and Ford Fiesta) was impounded by our local police because they received several noise related complains about the cars driving through neighborhoods. On their way home from school they were stopped, ticketed, and cars impounded for violating the city noise ordinance. The cop had a noise meter, judge upheld the ticket, total cost was $1800 (ticket$300, towing $350, new exhaust $1000, and mechanic certification $150).

2. Buddies jet boat ticketed $500 and banded from our lake for exceeding noise limit after the ranger received noise complaint calls from residents on the lake until he gets it tested by the ranger.

3. My neighbors home stereo exceeded city ordinance and he was ticketed $300 after neighbor complained.

If you think for a second that loud exhaust will not cause issues, your live under a rock. It doesn't matter how much better the performance is, it isn't worth losing your ability to ride. I know we all want to be like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" with more power but at what cost?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Manufacturers that make loud exhaust products are actually hurting, IMO, their own long-term ability to make a living off of snowmobiles...if sledding areas keep getting closed at the rate they are = big problem.

Just repeating the OP on a very important part of that post.

This post is 9 years old and it still hasn't sunk in. There's a reason pretty much all of the companies that make loud exhaust are in the midwest. Quit buying that crap and threatening the BEST riding.....west of the Mississippi.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Loud can, no snow flap here... I bought a BDX can for my Cat to shed weight. Turns out it is pretty loud too. We ride in a pretty tight valley and I have to say, you just can not hear them like the greenies suggest. I sometimes take my wife because she like to snow shoe around while we ride. I asked her about hearing the sleds. Despite there being 4 sleds ripping around this small valley, I have asked her about the noise and she told me she can't hear us until she see's us or very close. I get the issue in the midwest with lots of private land use but I do not see the issue when riding in the mountains on public land. There are a million excuses used to try and steal our rights. You are a fool if you think noise makes any difference to these people. If we had silent electric sleds they would still be after us, it is bullies and control. Continue to give into the bullies and continue to lose your rights. There is NO appeasing this bunch, you are wasting your time.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Just repeating the OP on a very important part of that post.

This post is 9 years old and it still hasn't sunk in. There's a reason pretty much all of the companies that make loud exhaust are in the midwest. Quit buying that crap and threatening the BEST riding.....west of the Mississippi.

Totally agree! It is that "pseudo power" some think a loud exhaust will add.
Kind of like the young insecure high school kid with the big loud truck and music blaring.
Some people never grow up!!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If we had silent electric sleds they would still be after us, it is bullies and control.

I don't disagree at all. But why willingly give normal 'outsiders' a way to relate to the argument? Newsflash: it's not just 'greenies' that think high pitched whines are annoying.

And saying that not buying loud cans will continue cause us to lose riding areas makes zero sense.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I don't disagree at all. But why willingly give normal 'outsiders' a way to relate to the argument? Newsflash: it's not just 'greenies' that think high pitched whines are annoying.

And saying that not buying loud cans will continue cause us to lose riding areas makes zero sense.

Those people are not in my riding area, generally no people are around just a few other sleds sometimes. So who is hearing my loud can? Nobody, so who cares?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You have those predator goggles that let you see other life forms through trees?

If you literally only ride in one place, and never ever go anywhere else and can be absolutely positive no one else is around then sure, you could be the lone exception. But that's not the entirety of the sport. Not by a mile. Not by a hundred miles. You heard of your buddies in crested butte, Silent Tracks, the local fuddy duddy xc skier group? That "silent" part.....that's because of sleds like yours. Maybe not yours specifically but because of ones like yours that don't ride solely where you do. Thinking what you do applies to everyone is pretty short sighted.

They used to call them stingers for a reason you know.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
If you are allowing them to beat you with that argument, you are not very good at the land use fight. There is no god given right to silent recreation and they already have silent rec areas.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If you are allowing them to beat you with that argument, you are not very good at the land use fight. There is no god given right to silent recreation and they already have silent rec areas.

Think what you could ride with a silent sled instead of just blasting around going 'yeeeewwwww, fvck y'all hippies!!! BRRAAAAAAAPPPP mah freedom!!!! Right over here everyone!! I'm right HERE!!! Look at Me!!!"
I mean really think about it for a second.

You sure do like to make assumptions. You have no clue what I 'allow'. Pointing out that there are a lot of pointless loud exhaust sleds out there isn't giving up or failing any kind of fight. How you connect those is beyond me. But that's why we picked this up, to do it intelligently. We're after efficacy, nothing else.

Look at it this way. We've lost millions of acres of riding area in this country. Your way isn't working. That's a fact.

Last edited:
Premium Features