• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrade Turbo Kit for MPI Vipers is coming soon!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We will have in our hands soon an upgraded replacement turbo for the MPI and MCX kits. It will be a direct bolt on and be quicker spooling and more HP!!! We will also have fuel upgrade kits as well as clutching kits and other goodies coming soon.

viperturbo.jpg

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We won't know until we get them in our hands and test. Based on past results, what you would see is the same HP at 2 or 3 pounds less of boost.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Do you know MPI and MCX don't use same turbo?
And do you know MCX uses 2 different depending low boost / high boost?
So it's pretty difficult saying any gain before comparing them all, on same sled, as in apples vs apples.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Tbird is correct. MPI kits shipped with the Mitsu 15G and the MCX with the 19T. (56 vs 58mm compressor)

The one in the pic above by Racinstation looks like the same one offered in the new YXZ kit from MPI.

EDIT: Looks like the Mitsu 14T for the Volvo

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Do you know MPI and MCX don't use same turbo?
And do you know MCX uses 2 different depending low boost / high boost?
So it's pretty difficult saying any gain before comparing them all, on same sled, as in apples vs apples.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

Yes. Perfectly aware. It is impossible to say gains before comparing, that is why no one has said anything on gains until further testing is complete.

Last edited:

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I might be nitpicking, but since you call it an upgrade without have any evidence of such, i call it a bit misleading.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
This project has been suspended for the time being. We are having a hard time selling a kit for $3000 to upgrade an existing kit, just to have a bunch of extra parts. There are some things we may still pursue, but we would rather install a fresh , clean, Boost-it kit that is proven. You will have more into the base kit and the upgrades than just hitting it full speed with the right kit.

As I said, there are 3 or 4 viable upgrades coming. I'll post when they are available.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Any news on this not sure 180 is enough. 210 -220 would be perfect

Actually I think a comparison of boost levels is in order to get a real picture.

Turbo kit X set at 8 pounds of boost.
MPI Turbo kit set for 4.5 pounds of boost with EABC

Turbo kit X is 8 pounds of boost but at higher altitude might be only 6.5 or 7 because of thin air

MPI turbo kit with ElectronicAltitudeBoostController rasies boost a 1/2 pound per 1000 feet altitude until it reaches 8 pounds boost max.

While at Grand Mesa I had a chance to ride a MPI trail kit same as ours but no EABC and the difference at 10k altitude was night and day. Ours was running 8 pounds and his 4.5 pounds!

My point is as soon as you can get the working or replacement EABC controller, as 210hp on a traditional turbo is 8 pounds boost and the 180hp MPI does that at altitude.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Any new info on this?

OK guys. Because I wasn't comfortable with the initial upgrade kit that we were going to do, the project got put on hold. Well as of today, we are full speed a head on a completely different avenue that arrives at the same location........MPI turbo upgrade kit that is solid and reliable. It will also be a relatively easy upgrade for most guys.

More information will follow in 10-14 days.

Premium Features