• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EVO turbo evaluation

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Finished the EVO turbo install and got to take it out for some real world testing.

So you don't get bored too quick let me give the highlights. Testing was at Grand Mesa at 10k altitude with dry powder snow and around 10 degrees to 20 degrees outside temp.

1. Electronics = truly install and ride, no adjustments
2. Electronics = EVO turbo flash, hits rev limiter at 9750rpm highest recall rpm was 9809
3. Quality of parts = I was worried about the water to air cooler in the bottom of the sled, but I hit a rock and tore up the bottom of the sled and even tore the bolts through the aluminum but the cooler survives (see small dent in cooler in pic below)
4. Airbox temp = high 20's air intake temp most of the day when brand X turbo with full intercooler was 55 to 65 degrees.
5. Water cooled turbo = no heat shield and MUCH lower temps under hood
6. Low mount of turbo = less weight up high
7. Air intake is just slightly outside the hood = stock looking

The bad

1. Instructions could be better = I made a video to supplement the instructions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwO2CYyv0k) that should fix that issue
2. Install is for intermediate or advanced mechanics = if you don't work in the garage much this install might be a little much for you.
3. You will have face pain from the grin you get when you pound the throttle.

Now for the testing

I switched the clutching that came in the kit for my own 8FS - soft start spring combo just for personal preference after the initial testing of the Dalton QAY 70 that come in the kit.

Turbo sled #1 was 2015 Viper MPI Yamaha base kit with EABC (electronic altitude boost controller)unplugged. Sled 2 is our red Viper MPI Yamaha base kit with EABC on and running with under hood intake. Sled 3 is Brand X 240hp turbo kit with intercooler and under hood intake. sled 4 is my Viper with EVO 210/275hp kit with external air intake.

the non EVO turbos all ran around 55 to 65 degree air intake temp. The EVO was from 25 to 35 degree intake temp in the same place same time as others.

The non EVO turbos all hit rev limiter at around 9200, the EVO turbo sled with EVO flash rev limiter is set at 9750.

Brand X lost a full day reprogramming his turbo with his fuel controller to run correctly. Last year another but different Brand X turbo had similar issues with fuel controller and altitude settings here.

MPI did not need additional setting and in fact we left our red viper on low altitude level setting for an accurate test. Both MPI ran well, with the EABC Viper producing a lot more power as expected. Our MPI Viper has the OSP Magnetic weights and the Barn Of Parts Soft Start spring with a 6mm shim in to stiffen the primary spring. Our MPI engages at 2700 rpm and the other MPI sled with brand X clutching engaged at around 3600 to 3700. That sleds owner preferred the lower engagement ours had.

All 4 turbo sleds had acceptable but less than perfect idle at 10k altitude as expected.

The MPI kits had a linear acceleration and were hard to tell had boost other than the fact they were faster than stock, I considered this a plus. The EVO kit with the included clutching was similar, but I like more on the bottom so I changed to the 8FS and soft start spring. To each his own on clutch settings, and nothing wrong with the EVO included clutching

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME

MPI was best for budget turbo. The girlfriend really likes hers.

EVO hands down for premium turbo, truly install and ride. 210/275 becomes 220/285 with EVO flash that raises rev limit to 9750. 220hp on pump gas with no head shim.

And no that isn't my coat!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

rpm.jpg cooler.jpg aircleaner.jpg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I was going to say that for a guy that works in a garage you have pretty long finger nails. thanks for the write up I bet the run in with the rock felt good looking at the damage. it definitely grabbed the leading edge of the cooler.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I was going to say that for a guy that works in a garage you have pretty long finger nails. thanks for the write up I bet the run in with the rock felt good looking at the damage. it definitely grabbed the leading edge of the cooler.

I knew when I had Dianne hold the recall button for me I was going to catch some ribbing :face-icon-small-hap

Bright spot is that panel is only 13 bucks, just the time to take out old one and rivet new one in.

Premium Features