• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clicking noise when I gas it till it gets going?

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
I have an 2002 mxz x 700 and i just rebuilt the entire motor, and now when i take off, it feels like its skipping and making a bad clicking noise till you get going then it works fine unless you gas it hard at slow speeds, at high speeds its fine.? It feels like its skipping, or the clutch is not engaged all the way. but if you take off at a steady easy throttle, it wont make the horrible clicking/clunking noise? Adjust the clutch?It has a brand new belt. Also so i drove it easy to break the motor in for a while, seems good, drove it in powder for a while, got back on the trail, and it died. was pretty sure i blew it up... pulled on it, it pulled hard, wouldnt start. cooled down, pulled the plugs and pulled, easy to pull now... put the plugs back in, starts and i ride it the 18 miles back praying it continues to run... Now it runs fine again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Run it on a stand and see if you can narrow down the source....clutch, belt, chaincase, drivers, track....could be a lot of things.

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
when you lift the rear up in the air, it doesn't make any noise, just when i'm on it trying to take off... but what about the motor? It stopped running as i was moving...felt like i blew it up. tried to pull start, couldn't move the rope... once i pulled the plug and pull the rope, let it cool down it restarted and runs fine again??

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
when you lift the rear up in the air, it doesn't make any noise, just when i'm on it trying to take off... but what about the motor? It stopped running as i was moving...felt like i blew it up. tried to pull start, couldn't move the rope... once i pulled the plug and pull the rope, let it cool down it restarted and runs fine again??

I would check the compression, crank runout & pull the exhaust & see what the front of the pistons look like.

R
Mar 16, 2010
A notched belt can make a clicking type noise/vibration at takeoff - you'll feel it/hear it until going 5-10mph; the drive clutch is snapping open/closed as the narrow part of the belt passes through.

Somewhat unlikely, but it takes minutes to eliminate.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
When skid is off the ground. How much slack in the track? Measure mid skid from bottom of hy fax to tip of the lugs in the track. 3/4- 1" shouldn't skip.

Stock driver? if so they only grab on the lugs. A loose track will skip easy. (Ratchet)

Engine dying while moving isn't good.
Flat spot on belt.
Also check rear axle boggies.
Broke crank? Towed a m1000 out that was doing a similar diagnoses.

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
x2 on the drivers skipping
maybe clutch is sticking causing it to kill when you stop then probably unbinding if you bumped it

Premium Features