• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 RMK 900 with 2009 Front end kit

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
It fits and it fits about 95% mod free.

This was force on me by my friend the flatlander running into my sled and blow every peice of plastic on the front end (minus and I mean just minus the hood) to smitherines:mad:. Replacing the plastic or upgrading to this setup with the lift bumper was a no brainer..... or so I thought.... :eek:

There are only two minor mods, relocation of the exhaust hole. Which is very simple seeing as you can use the snow deflector to line up with the rivets and trace the new hole.

Pretty well forget about the SLP airbox. I built a custom one, out of the parts of the slp airbox that weighs next to nothing but the SLP airbox just simply won't fit as the rails that support the bumper and the different front end geometry just make it impossible.

I saw at Backus Racing a 2005 RMK 900 getting the kit and it looked really good. It had a different air box something square and aluminum and it was relatively mod free.

The geometry of the hood vs the sled does not change. I was told by a bunch of people that it would touch the pipe and a bunch of crap, the reality is it didn't move any or change angle at all and the pipe certainly didn't move as it secures off hard points.

Just thought I would post this as every guy in the "know" that I phoned was wrong with the exception of Backus Racing and I'm glad I listened to them. It looks wicked awesome cool.

I wonder if a 2009 SLP airbox would fit in here and tie into the throttle body. Anybody?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1080278.jpg P1080279.jpg P1080280.jpg P1080281.jpg P1080282.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ya, the new front ends do look good, the only concern I have is that your gonna be pulling in a lot of under-hood heat with the intake up by the pipe like you have it... could lead to a slight power loss over that of colder, denser air. Other than that, looks good:beer;

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I wonder if a 2009 SLP airbox would fit in here and tie into the throttle body. Anybody?

They didnt make a 09 slp airbox for the 900 because polaris stopped making the 900 after 06. Drawing air from the bottom is not the best idea with the new front end. there is nowhere for fresh cold air to get to the intake.

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
They didnt make a 09 slp airbox for the 900 because polaris stopped making the 900 after 06. Drawing air from the bottom is not the best idea with the new front end. there is nowhere for fresh cold air to get to the intake.

actually the entire front of the sled is an intake with these large vents. I was hitting 7800 RPM with no problems today climbing.

I was surprised. One thing I did find out was that the front end goes through the snow a lot better now. It was 3' pow today so it was the day to test.

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009

yep, I was wondering in my post what the 800 intake looked like. it might be easy to mod to a 800 intake easier then building another complete system.

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
intake

Sorry to brake the news to you but this is not going to work on big powder days. I'm running the 09 front end on my05 900 and the front of the nose fills up with snow right wear your pulling air from. THE FIX IS THIS you need to get a new stock boost box from polaris & put a Fire-Ice intake on or a Timbersled intake i run the timbersled put have alot of vents to get cold air in, The Fire-Ice will work better, if your not going to do all the venting this sleds need.
FF

M

motonoggin

Dec 30, 2008
Are you talking about a dubs box?

It fits and it fits about 95% mod free.

This was force on me by my friend the flatlander running into my sled and blow every peice of plastic on the front end (minus and I mean just minus the hood) to smitherines:mad:. Replacing the plastic or upgrading to this setup with the lift bumper was a no brainer..... or so I thought.... :eek:

There are only two minor mods, relocation of the exhaust hole. Which is very simple seeing as you can use the snow deflector to line up with the rivets and trace the new hole.

Pretty well forget about the SLP airbox. I built a custom one, out of the parts of the slp airbox that weighs next to nothing but the SLP airbox just simply won't fit as the rails that support the bumper and the different front end geometry just make it impossible.

I saw at Backus Racing a 2005 RMK 900 getting the kit and it looked really good. It had a different air box something square and aluminum and it was relatively mod free.

The geometry of the hood vs the sled does not change. I was told by a bunch of people that it would touch the pipe and a bunch of crap, the reality is it didn't move any or change angle at all and the pipe certainly didn't move as it secures off hard points.

Just thought I would post this as every guy in the "know" that I phoned was wrong with the exception of Backus Racing and I'm glad I listened to them. It looks wicked awesome cool.

I run a dubbs - you can even save the radiator if you went with a dubbs, there's just enough clearance. It looks very similar to your custom fab boxexcapt it draws air from the bottom as well via the nosepan screen. I wonder if it could be used on '09 plastic. hmmm....

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
I run a dubbs - you can even save the radiator if you went with a dubbs, there's just enough clearance. It looks very similar to your custom fab boxexcapt it draws air from the bottom as well via the nosepan screen. I wonder if it could be used on '09 plastic. hmmm....

that is the problem I ran into. The new bumper mounts aren't to friendly with the older airboxes. I think in the end I'm going to be tig'n a new air box that works better.

cheerio.

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
Sorry to brake the news to you but this is not going to work on big powder days. I'm running the 09 front end on my05 900 and the front of the nose fills up with snow right wear your pulling air from. THE FIX IS THIS you need to get a new stock boost box from polaris & put a Fire-Ice intake on or a Timbersled intake i run the timbersled put have alot of vents to get cold air in, The Fire-Ice will work better, if your not going to do all the venting this sleds need.
FF

not having that problem. I put a piece of foam in there so that it keeps the snow from flowing in the whole behind the bumper.

I think I'm going to build a custom air intake and put a stack on it. I've ordered a carbon fiber hood from fast trax and I think it is time to make this sled a bit lighter.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI

The front radiator wont fit in the 09 plastic.

Premium Features