• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What do you guys run, airbox or pods?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I've heard that leaving the airbox in and just removing the shelf is the best bet for the XLT's. What do you guys do and for what kind of riding (powder, trail etc.) I know SLP made a airbox filter for the stock airbox but finding one is next to impossible.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The SLP air box is a complete unit. not just the top.

I just pull the shelf in any XLT I ever had.

Id never run pod filters on anything ever. Lose power, harder to jet, and can cause potential cold seize from sucking in snow. Just not a good idea.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
The SLP air box is a complete unit. not just the top.

I just pull the shelf in any XLT I ever had.

Id never run pod filters on anything ever. Lose power, harder to jet, and can cause potential cold seize from sucking in snow. Just not a good idea.

How come you lose power, harder to jet? My mechanic said they used to run foam filters with socks all the time on the older XLT's with never any problems. He did say that with the air box you get fresh air, but they alway got rid of them for more air flow? Not sure what to do now?

S

Skummit670monster

Jan 16, 2011
Great Falls MT
i ran pods with the previous 670 in my wedge chassis. PITA is what they were, also having twins wasnt helping. if you werent on the move at a decent speed, the hot air would really make the sled run like crap. when you were on the move it was ok, deep pow, had to keep that nose on top for air flow. with this next 670 in it, im making the factory summit air box fit. personally i'll never run pods again.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
i ran pods with the previous 670 in my wedge chassis. PITA is what they were, also having twins wasnt helping. if you werent on the move at a decent speed, the hot air would really make the sled run like crap. when you were on the move it was ok, deep pow, had to keep that nose on top for air flow. with this next 670 in it, im making the factory summit air box fit. personally i'll never run pods again.
Thats what I thought, makes since with the hot air issue making the motor run like crap. I wish I could find a alternative to my huge stock airbox. That thing makes it a pain in the *** to tune my carbs!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Thats what I thought, makes since with the hot air issue making the motor run like crap. I wish I could find a alternative to my huge stock airbox. That thing makes it a pain in the *** to tune my carbs!

He pretty much hit it on the head, you have no consistancy in your jetting because the underhood temperatures vary so much. You can be tuned it great but the sled will run like crap on a climb or under load because your not getting enough cold air underhood. About the only way I could ever see running pods would be to run a mesh hood or tube them up and out from under the hood.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
He pretty much hit it on the head, you have no consistancy in your jetting because the underhood temperatures vary so much. You can be tuned it great but the sled will run like crap on a climb or under load because your not getting enough cold air underhood. About the only way I could ever see running pods would be to run a mesh hood or tube them up and out from under the hood.

When you say tube them up and out do you mean putting like a elbow tube on the pods and having them sit just below the hood? I saw a modded out sled with that set up on his K&N's.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
run a air box it dosent matter where you put pods under hood heat will kill your tune ,make it bog when it has to have zip .

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
When you say tube them up and out do you mean putting like a elbow tube on the pods and having them sit just below the hood? I saw a modded out sled with that set up on his K&N's.

some turbo guys put the filter actually up and out of the hood.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So any idea on how to modify my stock air box besides removing the inner shelf? Or is that the only mod I should do? Also looking at the slp air box it looks like it would get a lot of the engine compartment air since it dosn't connect to the top of the hood where the vent is? Of course I'm pretty sure I couldn't find one if I tried but are the worth it if I were to find one?

Premium Features