• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rookie to beacons

J

jlebrun_05

Dec 9, 2007
Dell Rapids, SD
Hey guys, my friends and I usually go out to the mountains a few times a year, and since we are from eastern South Dakota, we usually dont have to many avalanches lol. Anyways, I was wondering what a person would want to invest in if they decided to get beacons. I dont know anything about them so answer me this, does every beacon transmit signals and pick up signals from other beacons if someone gets buried or what. We were going out to cooke this year and maybe to steamboat again, and we were thinking that maybe some form of beacon would be a good investment. thanks for the help

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
A beacon would definitely be a good investement. All beacons (since about 1996) transmit/receive the same frequency (457kHz).
The beacon I usually recommend to people who don't use their beacons very often is the Tracker DTS. It is very easy to use and you won't forget how to use it between seasons. The pieps and Mammut pulse beacons are also good beacons, but they may require a little more practice at first.

T
Nov 27, 2007
I got the Mammut after researching awhile. They were very small, and did both analog and digital. Analog has a better range then digital, but digital is more accurate. These units use analog to get you close and then switch to digital to give you exact distance and direction. Bought mine and my friends online at MEC for $395cdn. each. On a side note, my riding buddy cracked his screen on his Mammut, and MEC replaced the unit no charge after almost 2 years! I like the smaller size, can't even notice it's there. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Along with the purchase of your avalanche tools (beacon, shovel, probe and pack) and of equal importance, register for a level 1 avalanche class. Not only will you learn how to use the tools, you will also learn safe travel habits. A large part of surviving in avalanche terrain is knowing how to avoid them in the first place. Understanding what signs to look for, terrain to avoid, as well as snow pack evaluation and weather patterns is more likely to save lives. Then, practice alone and with your riding buddies until your tools of choice are second nature. Like any tool, the more skilled you are at using them the more likely you will end up with a positive end result.

1RMK2HIGH

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
LAKE PARK MN
Just Took The Avalance Training Class And The Instructor Said He Recommended The Tracker Dts. He Said Its Simple To Use And One Needs Simple In A Panic. I Have 2 Dts, Made Me Feel Good That I Bought The Right Ones.

zacs

Lifetime Membership
Go to our website and there are two links on the right hand side of the webpage that read "What is the best beacon?" Follow these links for 2 comprehensive reviews of most all beacons that are available locally. www.zacstracs.com
I agree with most of of what I skimmed through (There is a ton of info and no....I didn't read it all...) except that for a STRAIGHT ANALOG beacon I would rate the SOS higher as it has a great range and the newer SOS models with the 'steps' on the range dial rather than the approx 'meters' are great. This 'step calibrated' range dial allows for an easy-to-teach arc search method to locate multiple transceivers in close proximity. As well, the multiple LEDs make identification of the ideal flux line direction more accurate. IMHO

Premium Features