• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SSI head for Ctec. Any experience?

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ssi billet head

There billet heads kits work excellent on that motor. And they do work well with Slp components as well.

If you think about it, a stock motor is designed for low elevations, and can be run at higher elevations. Our Speed Shop billet head is designed for higher elevations. It has an improved dome design with a different squishband angle and width. It also has a hemi style pocket, instead of the top hat style that stock is.
The compression ratio is increased to 14:1, which increases the compression ratio. This compression ratio make the motor more of a mountain motor. Get a lot of power back that you lost because so much compression is lost when you go up in elevation, plus gain even more with the improved combustion chamber design.

Even on a bone stock machine, our Speed Shop billet heads really bring the motors to life! No fuel controller is needed because there is plenty of fuel flow. We feel the heads are so often overlooked, when in reality its one of the easiest ways to bolt on awesome horsepower gains that you really feel and notice. They work!

Attachments

• billet head arctic cat 800.jpg
    billet head arctic cat 800.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
SO, if i added the head even combined with the SLP stage II i would not need to adjust anything with my Power commander? because if so im all game to try one!

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Normally I would say bump the power commander map 1 point from 4000 rpm to full throttle when you add the head. But the slp maps seem to be a little on the safe or richer side for consumer use. So more than likely you will be able to pull that 1 number back out later. The good thing on those motors is the Det sensor works really well and keeps the motor safe. Often when I have tuned a sled without a egt gauge, I lean it out until it hits the det sensor, and then bump up back up the fuel numbers 2 points. But I'm guessing that as long as you run above 6000 feet elevation with 91-93 octane fuel, you should be fine. You might want to add about 2 grams of weight to each clutch arm with the head installed depending on how your clutched now. There is no doubt the motor will put more weight with the head installed.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
clutching

The way the stock clutch is shimmed with such a low engagement, I would use our 145-290 gold primary spring, and our 190-260 driven spring.

We developed a partial progressive helix for them that has very strong low end power and still extremely quick and crisp throttle response in deep snow. It really works well. It's the one we use in our clutch kits.

Premium Features