• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoCaps vs enclosed trailer???

Mar 10, 2014
Howdy,

I have a Aluma four place open sled trailer, and have been thinking about getting another trailer. I always have to take off my sled covers when going anywhere long distance, and have been looking at enclosed trailers, but thinking maybe of getting a 2place enclosed trailer. Then I came across these Snocaps fabric covering kits for open trailers. I have never seen one, and being out west, and the dealer in the northeast, I thought I would check to see if anyone has one, or can give me the pros and cons.....

I know that a 4place enclosed trailer is expensive, so a two place would be a compromise, and I have a V8 SUV, which I don't think would work with a nice 4place trailer.

Let me know what you think, and any feedback on the Snocaps would be appreciated........ seems like a nice step forward, for less $ than getting a full on enclosed trailer.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
You might consider a two place inline enclosed. I have a 29 ft four place Lightning trailer that pulls excellent behind my half ton ram. It only weighs 2200#. I imagine a two place length would come in around 1700-1800#. They pull great and are easy to see around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have owned one Snocap on a two place Floe and pulled another 4 place version (Beartrack maybe?). While they are a nicely made product and the new fabric lasts vs the older gray one. They pull much harder then a standard hard shell trailer as the canvas flexes around the front frame and catches the wind. We went from the a Canvas two place to a 3 place with the Floe aluminum cap years ago and was amazed just how much wind they grab.

On a strong headwind day they were the hardest pulling sled trailer I have ever owned and I was always pulling them with a 1/2 ton pick up. Kind of like pulling a sail. I would bet that that an all aluminum inline would pull much better behind your SUV then the Snowcap would.

I will 2nd the inline trailer. We just picked up a 7x25 Stealth inline which weighs only 2,080 lbs. Not sure what you are looking at for a cost on the cap. but I would bet the value of your trailer and the cost of the cap are not too far below these prices.

http://www.trailersmidwest.com/trailer-types.cfm?id=235

This is who we picked up our new trailer from and I can't recommend their service through the process enough.

Hope this helps a little.

T
Aug 16, 2009
I have the 23 ft inline enclosed (18 ft with 5 ft V) , love it no salt, no frozen covers to deal with. If thinking about hauling side by side in get at lease a 6 1/2 tall or even a 7 ft tall most side by side will not fit a through door on a 6 ft tall too high for clearance on height of rear door

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I have the 23 ft inline enclosed (18 ft with 5 ft V) , love it no salt, no frozen covers to deal with. If thinking about hauling side by side in get at lease a 6 1/2 tall or even a 7 ft tall most side by side will not fit a through door on a 6 ft tall too high for clearance on height of rear door

How many 155" sleds can you fit in it?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My whole problem with any canvas trailer would be some smart aass going at it with a two dollar utility knife. :face-icon-small-sad

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i second (or third) a smaller enclosed. its probably cheaper in the long run as it will hold its resale value and the fabric cap will be worth nothing in a few years.

sold my big 8.5'x30' enclosed and am going with the inline as mentioned above.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID

added height is key. i bumped mine up to 7'. one of my buddies is 6' 4" and another is 6' 5" - need to make room for the giants :)

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
I'm currently running a 2 sled 14ft triton with a snocap on it it keeps the sleds clean and I like the fact that it hardly changes the weight of the trailer but it does seem a bit hard to pull.i bought it because I already owned the trailer and it was the cheapest way to get a cover over the sleds when traveling with that said I do plan on selling it and getting a hard side 4 place at some point just because when traveling and such I think your sleds are safer from thieves and you have a place to keep your gear and such.My point is I personally think you would be happier with a hardside if you can afford it.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I ran one for 3-4 years. They are better then an open trailer, but they pull HARD. The material and frame work held up very good around the mid-west. I took it out west a few times and that is where it meet its end. wyoming wind storm bent the frame work and tore the material. The one I had was made in MN, they came in several colors. Not sure if they are still around. Eric

Mar 10, 2014
thanks for the responses....

I don't usually tow very far, maybe 2hours twice a year, most of the time it's within a hour. Tired of shoveling the snow off the sleds and using the individual covers.

Since the current trailer is paid for, I thought the snocap might make some sense,

Never thought about the idea of someone taking a knife to the side of the canvas.... that would suck

I think I need to stay with a four place trailer, as the idea of getting a smaller one is not going to work. Just ended up with three more sleds, so I am looking for another 2 or 3 place for those.

So, the advantage of the inline is that they are narrower and you stack the sleds as opposed to side by side?

Thanks
Bob

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
thanks for the responses....

I don't usually tow very far, maybe 2hours twice a year, most of the time it's within a hour. Tired of shoveling the snow off the sleds and using the individual covers.

Since the current trailer is paid for, I thought the snocap might make some sense,

Never thought about the idea of someone taking a knife to the side of the canvas.... that would suck

I think I need to stay with a four place trailer, as the idea of getting a smaller one is not going to work. Just ended up with three more sleds, so I am looking for another 2 or 3 place for those.

So, the advantage of the inline is that they are narrower and you stack the sleds as opposed to side by side?

Thanks
Bob

With an inline the sleds fit side by side if you drive one in and the back the second sled in right next to it. It works quite well with today's sleds all having reverse.

Premium Features