• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6.4 ford diesel

Dec 15, 2007
PA
Anyone running the 6.4? what are your thoughts? mileage, etc. I have really been looking at the new 6.7s but had a good deal on a 09 fall out of nowhere. Just looking for some real world experience. I have not heard much about the 6.4's

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
intake straight pipe.. spartan tuning.

stupid power, high teens for milage empty, and drop dead reliable with all the garbage taken out of the exhaust..

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
just worked on a 6.4 for a buddy when i got it made 9miles a gallon put a turbo back exhaust and h&s programmer on told me he is making 19miles per gallon and it runs very good made a fun truck out of it with alot of power he might have to buy stock in rubber hard to keep tires on it now haha

R
Jul 20, 2009
I am running a 2008 6.4L and i love it!:face-icon-small-hap When the truck was stock the fuel mileage was horrible! After my mods I am getting about 21mpg (us gallons by the way. I am Canadian). I Installed a H&S performance chip and an 4 inch stainless exhaust. I completely removed the DPF ( the only way to go). I want to put a cold air intake on it soon. Way way more power since mods were done. It feels like a totally different truck. I don't run it on max performance because i want some reliability out of it. But I swear by that truck!
A few things to look out for when buying a used 6.4l is make sure the rad has no leaks at the bottom of it. Also the tip of the exhaust pipe needs to have minimal carbon build up. It can be totally black and sooty but you should not be able to chip off a chunk of black carbon. If so stay away!!!! (possible fuel issues). Other than that just have a good look at it make sure there are no major leaks on the engine, tranny, diffs and transfer case. If there is and your okay with fixing them then cool.
It is a very solid truck that has tons of power and potential! and It will haul any load you can put behind it and look awesome doing it lol!
Hope this helps and know that you wont go wrong with the 6.4l!
Cheers!

Dec 15, 2007
PA
Just found out the truck is a stick. Hell I didnt even know Ford made a 6spd standard shift anymore. Now Im really interested in it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just found out the truck is a stick. Hell I didnt even know Ford made a 6spd standard shift anymore. Now Im really interested in it.
I WANT IT!!

i think they ditched the 6spd when they went to 6.7's... or maybe on the 10's. not sure.

thats good news. even though those auto's hold up better to towing then anything i have seen stock!

B
Dec 5, 2010
I have the 6.4 with a H&S and 5" turbo back exhaust and love it. Stupid amounts of power and torque. Best I ever got was 15 mpg stok but now see 20 on the highway. Do normal service intervals and its been rock solid reliable.

Dec 15, 2007
PA
What's the price on dpf delete and a tuner/chip? Sucks you need to loose the warranty to make it reliable haha. I would like to see the big 3 auto makers start having mileage wars instead of HP. These trucks are making great power but seems like mileage sucks until you start ripping them apart.

highspeed427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
The 6.4 is an awesome engine and with the right mods is un-beatable. the 6.7 gets way better milage stock for stock. after deletes it still is a bit better but only by .5 or so mpg. the horsepower isn't as good on the 6.7. my brother and brother-in-law both have 6.4s. my inlaw is a carpenter and runs h&s 225 hp tune. he runs around town with zero highway miles pulling a small trailor and averages 13. empty on highway he gets around 17-18 driving 80. my brother had the 300hp tune and did mixed driving. he got 15-16 most of the time. for hp they are monsters. my brother now has injectors and a pump and nitrous and did 1003hp rear wheels. stock motor just headstuds.

either way you will like the truck. just get the h&s mods and you'll enjoy it.

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I have a 6.4, and ran the first 30k stock, and it was a dog. I was really quite disappointed in it. Then...the dpf came off... and on went spartan and 4" flo pro exhaust, and never looked back.

It runs awesome now, i don't see anywhere near 20-25mpg like some guys are claiming, i think they are looking at there lie o meter, and not hand calculating. For some reason the spartan, makes the dash mpg's read anywhere from 2-3 mpgs high, so if it says 20 you are actually getting 17mpg. All in all i am thoroughly happy with what it did for my truck, still thinking about the egr delete. You really need to do that too if you want a bullet proof setup.

As far as the manual goes, i think it will handle it, but the clutch is the weak point. Definately plan on a new clutch right away, if you are gonna run the high HP tunes, which are the ones that get the best MPG's. The autos handle the big power just fine, and no clutch thingy!

My next truck may be another 6.4L with this setup as opposed to the new 6.7L with the price tags on the new ones!! If your gonna leave it stock though, i would go with the 6.7L for better mpg's, etc..

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I have an 08. DPF/DOC deleted and tuned with H&S. Truck became what it was supposed to be once that emissions #$%^ fell off. MPG's went from about 11 to about 16 on average. I'm not sure if I would get another one if I was not able to delete and tune. My truck just never seemed right before deleting. With that said, I don't know if the tuners (reputable ones) are able to tune trucks with manual trans. Make sure you stick to the more reputable for this engine (H&S, Spartan, Innovative). It is a finicky thing. 08-10 need regular maintenance. Fuel filters, oil changes, and regular maint really should be followed on the severe duty cycles.

Last edited:

Flit-e

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Riverton, Mountain View..Wyoming
I have a 08 cc/sb w/3.73 with spartan(deletes and CAI) and the power like everyone is saying is crazy. Running the 250 horse tune im getting good mpgs 14-16 in town empty 22-24 empty highway all hand calculated. turned down to the 210 perf tow egr removed towing a 28ft trails west goose neck im getting 10-12

X

Xcelerated performance

Dec 13, 2010
spartan heating

you guys that are running the spartan have you had problems with them heating in the summer? we have four 6.4 and three have the spartan tune. we had to pull two of the spartan's out of the truck and put them back to stock, just to be able to run them. they are work trucks. i still have the spartan in my good truck but is is more of a car, it only pulls once in awhile and its light loads like 15000 lbs. on the truck we took the tuner out of we still run the gauges and no problem with heating or wiring faults. if you are going to buy a 6.4 stock you maybe get 10 to 13 mpg empty and 5 to 8 pulling. with the spartan you can get 17 to 25 empty and 13 to 17 pulling. like they said make sure you do maintenance on the truck especially the fuel filter. these trucks HATE water and crappy fuel. make sure to run a good conditioner like forte. http://www.fortesystems.ca/ you will not be sorry!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the one i spent days in this summer had no issues all summer, or ever for that matter!

08 single cab w/ 35's. 4-5" straight flo pro setup, S&B intake and spartan tuning. we ran the 310 tune all summer pulling an 8000# trailer every day and never had issues what so ever, coolant temps, tranny temps and egt's stayed perfectly normal all the time.. and power was always more then you needed, all the time!

Joks79

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
MN. 10 minutes from Canada!
I passes on a 7.3L with a manual trans a few years back. I still kick myself for not buying that truck. I now have a 6.0L auto and I get bored driving it. I don't like a computer shifting for me.

8summit8

Dec 7, 2007
NE South Dakota
Like everyone said if your going to leave it stock go with the 6.7, I also believe that regular maintenance is very important. I have an 08 cc/sb I put the DPF delete, CAI and Spartan tune in a few years ago, the power is great but I haven't seen the mileage increase that others claim 8-10 pulling 15-17 empty, unless I ride in the pickup I don't believe the 20mpg+ stories. I use it for work 9 months out of the year and gross about 28k, I have pulled that load on 100+ degree days and never had a heating problem but I run in some pretty flat country. The only problem I've had is the torque converter occasionally slips.

M
Mar 7, 2008
The 6.4 is an awesome engine and with the right mods is un-beatable. the 6.7 gets way better milage stock for stock. after deletes it still is a bit better but only by .5 or so mpg. the horsepower isn't as good on the 6.7. my brother and brother-in-law both have 6.4s. my inlaw is a carpenter and runs h&s 225 hp tune. he runs around town with zero highway miles pulling a small trailor and averages 13. empty on highway he gets around 17-18 driving 80. my brother had the 300hp tune and did mixed driving. he got 15-16 most of the time. for hp they are monsters. my brother now has injectors and a pump and nitrous and did 1003hp rear wheels. stock motor just headstuds.

either way you will like the truck. just get the h&s mods and you'll enjoy it.

HP/torque compared to 6.7 is better? Impressive. My 6.7 has amazing power. Feels as strong passing with a loaded trailer as no trailer!

I

islanddoo

Apr 10, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have an 08 6.4 with 37's and 6" lift stock it was a stone with terrible mileage couldnt go 250 miles pulling the sled trailer, with lots of little issues. Put on a H&S Tuner DPF delete cold air intake this truck is now amazing tons of power great mileage and zero problems. Have over 100000 miles on it now! Seems like a keeper!!

Premium Features