• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Truck?

Best overall truck?

• Ford F150

Votes: 277 32.1%
  • GMC Sierra 1500

Votes: 65 7.5%
  • Chevrolet 1500

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Chevrolet 1500HD

Votes: 137 15.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 85 9.8%
  • Dodge

Votes: 239 27.7%

• Total voters

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Loving the 2011 5.7L 6.5' bed tundra!
I had a 02 GMC 3/4 ton short box extended cab with the 6L gas motor that I put a turbo on. always 10mpg until I turboed it, then 6-7mpg. Nice truck as well, sold it with 142K. I thought I would end up with a duramax but drove the tundra.
I put airbags on it, and run a sled deck just fine. All summer long it pulls a mastercraft x2. Amazing brakes, good power, but the seats aren't as comfy as the chevy's, and it rides like a truck more than the chevy.
I get ~14 around town empty, 18 hwy @ 60mph, 10mpg with sled deck 2 sleds and 70-75mph, and 10-11 towing boat. this is with 3" lift and larger Toyo MT 275/65/20.

This has been beat to death but here goes...... air bags or not you are still overloading the truck with a sled deck, 2 sleds, gear and passengers. I guess if you are running 10 ply tires, airbags, and take it easy you would have no problems. The only thing I would be concerned about is if you got into a wreck, insurance company might have a problem with this.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
You aren't overloading a 1/2 ton truck with a sled deck and two sleds. Let's say the deck weighs 200lbs(not likely) and the sleds weigh 600lbs each RTR. That is less than 1500lbs. Most modern 1/2 ton trucks are rated for at least 1500lbs in the bed. And that's with a huge safety margin from the manufacturer. The weight is high but with air bags you get another big safety margin. Also, unless you are riding with 4 Rosie O'donnells you can't get enough humans inside a truck to actually overload it and make it unsafe. Air bags and a big fuel tank are the 2 best things you can do to a gas 1/2 ton for towing/hauling.

M
HA HA Truck that IS Paid Off !!

Im klaughing love this forum im driving a ford F 250 on propane dual fuel, I start it no probs at minus 20 ,I just drove 1453 kilometers for 205 dollars in propane 11.23 miles a gallon 460 big block hauling trailer 18 footer, Not bad for a 1984 ford!! Yup shes been paid of for years also makes me feel sorry for this guy...

my friend's dad has 2005 silverado 1500 crew, we rode with him with 4 place open trailer to the snowies, we usually stop for fill up the fuel 4 times in one trip (500 miles) in 3rd gear, not in D gear

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
You aren't overloading a 1/2 ton truck with a sled deck and two sleds. Let's say the deck weighs 200lbs(not likely) and the sleds weigh 600lbs each RTR. That is less than 1500lbs. Most modern 1/2 ton trucks are rated for at least 1500lbs in the bed. And that's with a huge safety margin from the manufacturer. The weight is high but with air bags you get another big safety margin. Also, unless you are riding with 4 Rosie O'donnells you can't get enough humans inside a truck to actually overload it and make it unsafe. Air bags and a big fuel tank are the 2 best things you can do to a gas 1/2 ton for towing/hauling.

Deck is 500, two guys 400, gear 200, sleds 600 each. Check the tire rating, ur overloading the tires and payload. Air bags make no difference to the tires. You are correct 1500lbs - 1350lbs max payload which includes passengers and driver, not sure why you think it doesn't include people. So now you are at 2300lbs, what's the safety margin you are referring to? Keep trying to convince yourself it's ok, but the numbers don't lie. You are almost overloading a 1/2 ton pickup by 1000lbs and 1200lbs of it is above the box rails making it top heavy.

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Deck is 500, two guys 400, gear 200, sleds 600 each. Check the tire rating, ur overloading the tires and payload. Air bags make no difference to the tires. You are correct 1500lbs - 1350lbs max payload which includes passengers and driver, not sure why you think it doesn't include people. So now you are at 2300lbs, what's the safety margin you are referring to? Keep trying to convince yourself it's ok, but the numbers don't lie. You are almost overloading a 1/2 ton pickup by 1000lbs and 1200lbs of it is above the box rails making it top heavy.

CRFfred is right on.

Also airbags do not add to payload capacity, all they do is lift the truck off the bumpstops. The axle and tires are still rated for a 1/2 ton truck, all the airbags do is level the truck and place all that weight right back on your axles and P rated tires (C's if you upgraded to LT tires). Get in a wreck and see what your insurance company says about your overloaded truck. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

cokecrazed007

Lifetime Membership
Sep 11, 2011
Grande Prairie, AB
CRFfred is right on.

Also airbags do not add to payload capacity, all they do is lift the truck off the bumpstops. The axle and tires are still rated for a 1/2 ton truck, all the airbags do is level the truck and place all that weight right back on your axles and P rated tires (C's if you upgraded to LT tires). Get in a wreck and see what your insurance company says about your overloaded truck. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Also add a full tank of fuel, payload on a half ton is about 700 lbs after your truck is full fuel. The weights are not all about what you can haul but also what you can stop.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk 2

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Also add a full tank of fuel, payload on a half ton is about 700 lbs after your truck is full fuel. The weights are not all about what you can haul but also what you can stop.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk 2
You do realize that the new 1/2 tons are load rated to carry more then what even 1 tonners were rated for as little as 10 yrs ago?..they also have far better brakes(bigger rotor diameter, swept areas, bigger pads, calipers, and way better ABS systems), better frames, suspensions, transmissions, heck, most everything on them....even the tires/rims are rated better now days..I advise anyone who is thinking about buying a truck now days to really do your homework, you might be surprised how advanced some of the new iron is..even 1/2 tonners.....

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I know he was looking at 04 to 07 but 09 chevy gets you 6speed auto . I know it is to new but i love my 2012gmc half ton with 6.2 and max tow package. I only tow an open 4 place to w/yellowstone couple times a year and it does a great job. It gets great mpg when not towing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I am another one on the 3/4 ton train. Longer wheel base, heavier vehicle to handle a sled deck or trailer better in slippery conditions just makes it safer. Better resale also. We tow a lot year round and after having a couple diesel pickup trucks I cannot see us having another gasser.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I Posted this on dootalk...i'll see what you guys think as well...

Alright, I know that this is a very opinionated question, but I'm looking at getting a truck in the next few months. What would you guys say is the best overall truck out there? I don't think that I need a 3/4 ton, so just a standard 1/2 ton truck. I've been a chevy guy for a long time, but the newer Fords are really starting to grow on me. I've taken multiple trips in a Ford and didn't mind it.

I'm looking at probably years 04-07 in all of the brands. It will most likely be a crew cab. What's the best overall considering mpg, reliability, etc?

Any thoughts or feed back on this topic or what to watch out for would be great! Thanks so much!

I do not want this to turn into a bashing thread that gets locked. I simply want to be able to make the best informed decision I can.

Mother of god, this thread is almost 5 years old, the OP hasn't posted on this forum in 3 years (Last Activity: 11-28-2012 04:26 PM). Can this pole/thread die in peace? I think the feller settled on a Saab for his Doo and called it a day!

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
825dfd54ec1ed78e4dfa39fa74725e66.jpg

Subaru Brat is the best truck, by far. Way better than an Eco Boost.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ford. Good looking and durable. (Except 6.0/6.4 engines)Best overall package.
Chevy. Although they are kinda ugly they have Great engine and transmission. Great for towing and hwy use. Just not as durable on the logging roads.
Ram. Good looking truck and great engine. Just not durable. ?

GS6

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Ford. Good looking and durable. (Except 6.0/6.4 engines)Best overall package.
Chevy. Although they are kinda ugly they have Great engine and transmission. Great for towing and hwy use. Just not as durable on the logging roads.
Ram. Good looking truck and great engine. Just not durable. ?

GS6

Ford Durable? the 6,0, 6.4 and 6.7 has smoked many people. Sure they're getting better.

Dodge/Ram is buying back 500,000 trucks.

GM had an injector issue which they gave people an extra 100,000 mile warranty on, but that was over 14 years ago. Little issues since.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Gm has been the ugliest till 2014 half tons and 2015 HD. Now the 2016 hlaf tons are ugly as hell again!
And before 2011 the frames were susceptible to distortion with heavy use. Yes u can still drive that bent Gm down the hwy because the engines have been great.

GS6

Last edited:
Premium Features