• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vinyl Tonneau Covers?

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Looking at a tonneau covers for my 2010 Ram short bed. Just looking for a little more protection and storage area for stuff in the bed. Does anybody have any advice, brands or styles to avoid? I don't like snaps and I don't like velcro, so I think that leaves me with a hinged or folding style.

Any advice welcome

photo.jpg

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I read you don't like velcro but Access makes a very nice unit. I bought mine from the parts dept where I bought my truck. They gave me a huge discount for buying the truck there. It was way cheaper than any price I could find on the internet. I have had no troubles with the velcro it holds very well. Just my $0.02

S

sledhead13c

Nov 29, 2007
ND
I read you don't like velcro but Access makes a very nice unit. I bought mine from the parts dept where I bought my truck. They gave me a huge discount for buying the truck there. It was way cheaper than any price I could find on the internet. I have had no troubles with the velcro it very well. Just my $0.02

I have had the same cover on last 3 trucks and never had a problem with any of them (would not own a truck without one). Make sure velcro is securely fastened.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I read you don't like velcro but Access makes a very nice unit. I bought mine from the parts dept where I bought my truck. They gave me a huge discount for buying the truck there. It was way cheaper than any price I could find on the internet. I have had no troubles with the velcro it holds very well. Just my $0.02

Second that on the Access cover, I've had great luck with mine. I also added tailgate weather striping to cut down the the dust.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
Ya buy nothing but access. That's all I've ever owned. They fit tightly and lock down super easy. They are moderately priced and have great warranty.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I had an access and really liked it but keeping the vinyl new looking was periodic treatment with Armor All but they probably have another product that doesn't collect as much dust.

If you're opening/closing the cover quite a bit, you will wear out the velcro on the rails, at least I did. I had to replace it a few times, then when I finally sold the cover because I got a diff truck, the velcro on the cover had to be replaced but the guy who bought it knew someone that could sew some new on.

The rail velcro, as I recall, was about $35 a set and you probably have to use access brand. I used 3m one time and it didn't grip/grab the cover very well because it had too many "hooks".

I am in the market now and I keep coming back to the access. They do make some good folding covers too but you have that whole contraption up front if you need to use the whole bed to haul something.

Undercover makes a nice looking one piece plastic cover that is supposed to be light and easily removable but then again, if you need the cover off to haul something, then you don't have a cover when you get to where you're going.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Well thats a pretty overwhelming vote of confidence across the board for the access covers.

What model is everyone using? I see they have at least 3 to choose from.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Another vote for the access cover! It is on my second truck and still going strong. It is almost 8 years old. Jesse.

C
Feb 8, 2008
What model is everyone using? I see they have at least 3 to choose from.[/QUOTE]

I had the original the first time and just got the tool box edition.

Premium Features