• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loss of a close friend today

G
Apr 23, 2008
I am saddened to say that today at 1.15 pm at H&H test track in michigan that the 800 rev turbo sent the Pto rod out on run number 2 at the 3 second mark into the pass:(:(

I feel like I just buried my best dog ! :rolleyes:

so, I am looking for a set of cases and a back up crank for a series 3 800 doo.

R.I.P ole mule.. she made 100's of runs at 22 plus.. eveyone deserves a rest at some point...:rose::rose:

Gus

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
She comes apart monday for rebuild Dave.
Will post the carnage pics then. looks like a base gasket failure ( case flex ).

damn things been together for season and a half now, should have broke it down for inspection,, maybe would have been preventable. Maybe not, its the first time its been on clay WITH anti lag and micro 4 weight / cat driven combo, first launch was 8 psi, second was 16 then ,,,well you know the rest

We got lulled into complacency running trouble free for so long..

WAKE UP CALL.
Gus:eek:

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

low boost first run was good.
Run 2 was carrying the front a bit to high,, till the 3 second mark it was truckin ! throwing clay 20 feet behind and spinning thru the 100foot mark.

playback was nice and slow climb from 5200 engagement to 8200, then drop ! at the 3 second mark...

I always like working with that clutch combo, using STM weights as always.

just a set back of sorts,, emotional more than tangible.

G
Apr 23, 2008
YES !:D:D

STM has a super 4 weight also. that'll be the next one.

for big traction and big torque its hard to get the grip and shift range ( read shift force and squeeze force ) to be wide enough with a fixed ramp.

Fixed roller swinging ramp seems to offer that window width I need.

gus

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I was thinking that I may run right into that issue even at Mountain boost levels with this 1000 project...What do you think?

On your 800 failure, did it hurt the topend very bad or can that be reused?

Jake

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Sad to hear Gus, but you know how R&D goes. Sometimes stuff has to break to find it's limits. Either on purpose or accidentally. I'm sure you will find the good out of this and continue on with a lesson learned. I'm sure that engine has seen a tougher life than most have seen and lived a long educational existence.

Dave

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
I am saddened to say that today at 1.15 pm at H&H test track in michigan that the 800 rev turbo sent the Pto rod out on run number 2 at the 3 second mark into the pass:(:(

I feel like I just buried my best dog ! :rolleyes:

so, I am looking for a set of cases and a back up crank for a series 3 800 doo.

R.I.P ole mule.. she made 100's of runs at 22 plus.. eveyone deserves a rest at some point...:rose::rose:

Gus

Sad... been there done that!

Gus, I wanted to ask if your the guy that lives off M-59? North of anyway. If so we have meet a few times in your garage working on my V-max 800 turbo. ( Friends Jason Iras, Glenn Hall, and long time past Kevin Whitefield ? )
I ran with the boys at M-59 sports back in the day. Anyway, just thought I would say Hey!

Keith

G
Apr 23, 2008
Sad... been there done that!

Gus, I wanted to ask if your the guy that lives off M-59? North of anyway. If so we have meet a few times in your garage working on my V-max 800 turbo. ( Friends Jason Iras, Glenn Hall, and long time past Kevin Whitefield ? )
I ran with the boys at M-59 sports back in the day. Anyway, just thought I would say Hey!

Keith

Keith, no I live in New Hampshire. sorry man. hey But HI anyway !! LOL:D
Gus
I remember m59 and the quigley group..

Premium Features