• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INFO on CFI sleds Chassis Power Connectors, Relays and Grounds

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey MH, is the chassis ground relay the relay that is bundled to the wiring harness on the mag side of the motor?

IE, this relay?

HPIM13921.jpg

If so I am gonna replace that and mount it vertically some how ... if I'm not mistaken relays need to be mounted vertically so as to drain right, correct?

Was this relay mounted vertically from Polaris or is this something my dealer screwed up for me as well?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Dog..

thats it..make sure you get the one from NAPA as a replacements since its an overall better relay..

as far as mounting them vertically?? mine is identical to yours..i just wrapped mine in the heat tape to prevent heat and water from getting into it..

glad your getting somewhere..good luck bro

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Dog..

thats it..make sure you get the one from NAPA as a replacements since its an overall better relay..

as far as mounting them vertically?? mine is identical to yours..i just wrapped mine in the heat tape to prevent heat and water from getting into it..

glad your getting somewhere..good luck bro

Anyone know the napa part# and price on that relay? Also other than being cheaper than polaris how is it better?

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Hey MH, is the chassis ground relay the relay that is bundled to the wiring harness on the mag side of the motor?

IE, this relay?

HPIM13921.jpg

If so I am gonna replace that and mount it vertically some how ... if I'm not mistaken relays need to be mounted vertically so as to drain right, correct?

Was this relay mounted vertically from Polaris or is this something my dealer screwed up for me as well?
Relays do not care which way they are mounted -unless you are talking about water getting in there or something?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Relays do not care which way they are mounted -unless you are talking about water getting in there or something?

Exactly, I was always told (and it makes sense) that you wanted to mount relays vertical in situations where they might get wet so that they will drain.

Part # is AR274 from NAPA for the relay

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ya know I guess my statement was partially false, but still true sorta..

Look at the bottom of the relay. It's sealed tight, BUT ... the harness TO the relay is where you could definatley get moisture buildup, and I could see where that could hose things.

I messed with this for a little bit and short of re-routing some things I can't get it to mount vertically. Don't have enough slack in the wires.

Maybe this summer when the motor is out I can accomplish this.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok I am having a major issue here.

I replaced the stock chassis ground relay with NAPA Part #AR274.

I put the sled back together and started it up just fine, BUT

No head lights, NO MFD, nothing.

I pulled the NAPA unit out and put the stock one back in

No head ights, no MFD, nothing.

Sled starts. Why do I have no headlights and no MFD right now?

Also, the bullet connector(s) that come out of the plastic shrouding right there by where the relay is ... those DO go to the EGT sensor, right? They do NOT plug into one another?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
MH is that possible that the relay AR274 from NAPA will only work on the 2005 sleds?

As it stands right now my ECU is probably completley fried. The relay block appears to be fine.

I can't figure out for the life of me what is going on here ...

I will check the voltages later as I have to leave town for work here this afternoon but is there a chance that P/N will only work on the 2005 sleds?

I looked at the diagram on both relays and as best as I can tell they are the same with the only exception being that the NAPA relay has two "87" pins and the Polaris one doesn't.

F1

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2004
Utah
www.wideopenperformance.net
Dogmeat
I had the same problem that you are having; it ended up being the relay driver in the computer. To prove it I tested the white/blue wire in the relay block back to the ECU to verify it was good (if you don’t have a manual let me know and I can look it up for ya). If the wire tests good, ground the white/blue wire @ the relay and start the sled if you have lights and the MFD works the problem is the relay driver in the ECU. If you do have a bad ECU make sure you test your stator and voltage regulator, you don’t want to fry another ECU.

I had to buy a new ECU it was a PITA but at least I got it fixed. If you have to replace the ECU make sure you check your wiring harness to make sure nothing is shorting out. I found that the wire to my tail light was shorting out on a sharp corner of an aluminum bracket. Oh ya and the ECU come blank so I had to install it in the sled and then take it to the dealer to be flashed. I had Tracy @ Tri City Performance in Springville flash it for me. They were great to deal with.

Casey

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So dog what did you find out? Is the NAPA relay the problem? Also do you have a 05 or 06?

From the pinout that was posted in this thread or the other thread that was afrom a 2005, it looks like it's the same on either 2005 or 2006.

F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
Good info but here's a question-
I just bought a 06-900. I looked and looked for this relay- found a plug for it by the lt foot rest, It did not have the relay-but ran ok- I think.
I went to napa and bought one- put it in and it still runs ok.
Are the 06's suppose to have one in?

Premium Features