• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fix it kits

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
what is everyone's opinion on these kits. Would be on a turbo '14 pro. I see Indy Dan doesn't offer such a kit and he is usually the god of the polaris motors, but many well respected aftermarket supplier do offer them.

Looking at a rebuild before the season and trying to decide to go stock (with indy dan, and already have his reinforced cylinder skirt design), or go with one of the other kits.

thanks

Turbo performance turbo if that matters.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
look im not trying to dig up $h!t and get things heated again but I found this "discussion" interesting and a bit informative. {a man that stands behind his work stands behind his word} <table width="100%" align="center" class="tborder forum-table" id="threadslist"><tbody id="threadbits_forum_220"><tr><td align="center" class="alt1 read-icon" id="td_threadstatusicon_436038"><!-- ADDED BY BRIAN FOR THREAD THUMBNAILS -->
icon1.gif
<!-- END ADDED BY BRIAN FOR THREAD THUMBNAILS --> </td><!-- // CHANGED BY BRIAN FOR PRIVATE COLORING --> <!-- removed from td, keeping in case: class="alt1" --> <td title="My sled is a 2016 Axys with just under 1000 miles. It has had the BD sidekick from the beginning. Going to do a new top end before the snow flys. ..." class="alt1 forum-info" id="td_threadtitle_436038"> New Top End in Turbod Axys - Which Pistons? (
multipage.gif
1 2)
nater24 <!-- ADDED BY BRIAN FOR DATE --> - 10-17-2017 </td></tr></tbody></table>

S
Nov 7, 2015
Rigby, Idaho
For what it’s worth I went ahead and tried a MTNTK fix kit in my 15’ turbo and it’s holding up really well. Biggest thing seems to be warm up with the tight pistons from what I’ve read. My decision to use the fix kit comes from working directly with Shawn at MTNTK on my initial turbo build, his willingness to stand behind his product and the location of his shop being a half hours drive from my house.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Ask Bryce at turbo performance what has the best result with his turbo kit. The other post given is not going to give you the feedback you are looking for. It was not a useful discussion. It turned out to be a personal attack by a forum bully who was promoting his own services after saying otherwise.

I made a statement about a piston that I know works much better in turboed mountain sled application as requested by the original post. That was taken to start a fight nobody wanted to hear. In short, trail riding miles cannot be compared to hillclimbing miles and the extreme heat created doing so. That post was simply a barrage of back to back personal attacks of unnecessary length. Happy sledding!

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I also went with the mtntk fix Kit. From what I've learned, forged is stronger (coming from the automotive world that's what's taught) . And having a longer piston skirt regardless won't hurt. Many people apparently have good luck with the kit n/a and turbo'. But make sure to warm up the sled, you should regardless.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
Ask Bryce at turbo performance what has the best result with his turbo kit. The other post given is not going to give you the feedback you are looking for. It was not a useful discussion. It turned out to be a personal attack by a forum bully who was promoting his own services after saying otherwise.

I made a statement about a piston that I know works much better in turboed mountain sled application as requested by the original post. That was taken to start a fight nobody wanted to hear. In short, trail riding miles cannot be compared to hillclimbing miles and the extreme heat created doing so. That post was simply a barrage of back to back personal attacks of unnecessary length. Happy sledding!

Curious to your experience when using the stock vs RK pistons and why the RK piston came out ahead. I have a piston change coming up and looking for info. Thanks

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
that post was a poo fight at the end but BUT.... a very well known Polaris engine builder just wanted to make it clear that in his experience {30 sum years of it} that he has not found a piston that held up as well as a stock Polaris. now he said nothing about if one would create more HP!! that being said I have heard more GOOD things than bad about RK TEK! and would be willing to try some of his products! I am by no means trying to fly a hate flag for either company/builder but to say what a experienced company/builder says is not useful........well???? that's like saying POLARIS ALLWAYS MADE THE BEST SLED AND ALLWAYS WILL!!! EVERY THANG ELSE IS TRASH!!!! that just cant be true???right??? their is only a few company's that I know of that people ship their parts out of state to be worked on and sent back and I would not dis credit any of them or their opinion's. :)

X
Oct 8, 2009
My experience is high boost turbo mountain sleds focused on rigorous mountain and chute climbing. Under such stress, I have seen engine after engine failure over the years of stock polaris motors and other manufacturers. The majority of polaris failures were piston related. I have personally pulled several sleds out with only 500 to 1000 miles on a set of pistons, not good. Premature failures I have seen included skirts breaking off and falling into the case, broken ringlands, ring failure, and cracked cylinders and cases. For those who went the factory route to rebuild, similar issues happened again later.

In more recent builds, those who used fix it kits; albeit rk tek, mountain tek, or other; premature failures were reduced. Those kits do use forged pistons, but, at this point, both companies mentioned have the issues worked out. Also, I know the mtn tek kit uses cylinder spacer that increases case volume, which helps turbo motors in a variety of ways. The biggest problem for any motor is heat. Any additional case volume helps with thermal management.

Finally, forged aluminum is stronger than cast. But, tolerances are different for those pistons and they are more likely to cold seize if you do not allow for proper warm up. Regarding the pistons themselves, the pistons are designed to handle more abuse than what polaris spec'd the factory pieces for. But keep in mind, polaris is tasked with building cost effective sleds for the general public, not people like me who push them to the limit every ride. Of course the sleds built by myself and those I ride with required different components. Sleds with double or triple the output of factory tend to break parts...that is the game we play.

Last edited:

Ult680

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Ada, MI
Mtntk works great! I sent the cylinders and pistons to be honed and fit to Hanson Race engines. I’ve been running over 10lbs for 2500 miles and still 128lbs on them. Extra premix, good fuel, setup is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features