• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the new 2011 PRO-RMK today, awesome!!!!!!

T
Dec 25, 2007
I will simply add a quick thought to this...

Compare response time to what you saw from the Toyota death trap team. It took YEARS before the government finally put the clamps down on Toyota to get them to fix something that is far more deadly than a sled that dies on a weekend off.

As much as I can see, considering how small a portion of the company is actually snowmobile sales, Polaris has been speedy and professional in their response to these issues.

And the few warranty wars I have heard about aren't exclusive to snowmobiles either...try getting any of the big companies to honor a warranty on your truck after adding a few seemingly harmless goodies...not happening.

I think the other promising piece is what we read above: Polaris is working to see how THEY can change to address what WE want in next years sleds. Look forward to riding it next year at some point...T

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
it is very hard to look ahead when polaris tells the dealer to give the sled back to me as they have no fix for the bog.What are we to do when the warranty runs out and your motor burns.Polaris needs to get on the ball and fix all 800 problems,you can not even trade this sled in, no dealer will give you what this sled is worth.Not every one can take this kind of hit,so do not talk to me about there new sleds,i do not need another lemon

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I will say that I have never owned a sled without some kind of Exhaust monitor on them. It is something that should be installed factory but never will I don't believe until the fuel delivery of all manufactures becomes refined. I person could/can find a lean spot somewhere in the curve and receive a new top end every year under warranty if so desired. My 08' received the "scuffed" piston change(on polaris's bill) early in 09's season. I bought the sled used with @ 500mi at the time. After putting on an A/F gauge I seen a terrible lean spot and talking to my dealer, they wanted to try a different flash. That is when they looked inside and seen the scuffing. Fixed same week and on the snow for the weekend. I came in for every flash that came out including some 'top secret' ones that I reported back to them what the fuel curve looked like and most all had a spot somewhere that would/could take out an engine. So I simply stayed out of those spots, easily. My motor lived until the new head/piston deal(on polaris's bill). I am on boost now so this years monitoring of what flashes are doing is in someone elses hands now. Polaris also fixed some other issues I had come up against with nothing keeping me off the snow for weekend rides. I did suffer the VR issue which was the only thing that caused me to need a pull out of the mtns. Polaris fixed that one also, costing me only $50 on extended warranty. Which brings up a point of buying a 11,000 dollar machine that spends its entire life either WFO or running trails in the midrange low engine load(tough on any 2 stroke if you didn't know) and not think extended warranty is a good investment if one plans on riding the machine for more than a year is not a smart idea. As far as poo goes(my experience) there are areas of the rpm that have needed to be avioded for long periods since any 800 came out. My 03 has @3500 miles on the stock crank with porting and various pipe combinations and wrecks, but I watched the EGT gauge,balanced the clutch yearly,and stayed out of the 6000 ish rpm's which many thought was a crank busting harmonic area. No broken crank or squeaked pistons. I realize that one should think that a brand new off the showroom floor rig should be bullet proof but that in my mind is ridicules to expect a high performance machine to be able to live long under the conditions that we subjected them to and the performance levels we push them at without proper monitoring and evaluations of wear and tear. These sleds have pretty much crossed over from the old trail mod to mtn sled era with some better reliability built in. I don't think any manufacture has been able to bridge this gap of high performance/light weight with absolute reliability. Take these current sleds back to 1998 and see how many people that would have been happy to pay $12 grand for the turn key 'mod' sled.
Seems that most post that are posted here are 'my sled is broken again' type posts and very few of the 'my sled is running good' posts. So maybe it appears that there are these huge widespread issues or maybe only huge widespread posts of a small percentage of owners. I don't know for sure.
I also see a lot of dealer issues that come up and I think that is to bad.
My dealer(KURTS POLARIS) here in missoula has been nothing but helpful and try to improve things as far as polaris will allow. They are riders themselves and work hard for the customer(thanks Lucas).
This new Pro sled does have noticeable improvements over the Dragon and I have to believe that the motor issues have been addressed. The sleds that are stock that have been worked over by Kurts that I have been out with are rocking strong and running consistently. The Polaris guys were out here long before the demo rides and this sled has been around for at least a year getting tested. I believe they have built a winner with this one. But I would suggest extending warranties for those worried, and ride.

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
my observations from yours- - -?

vr and coil above the exhaust??

oil tank above the clutch - - if you spill ? ? ?

The "elect stuff" over the exhaust if going to get a lot of outside air and has the alum. heat shield on the exhaust and an aluminum bracket + maybe 3" so the only exh. heat would be when you stop and then-I don't know probably way cooler than they are now.
I didn't say that well on the oil location-it isn't directly above the clutches but higher and close enough that one might get a spill on the belt if you aren't careful.
As I started the post yesterday I realized that I wasn't sure about everything. There was so much new and my cell phone pics are worthless since I cancelled texting after getting a lot of "junk texts".
I'll probably add a strip of insulated alum tape under the bracket for added protection.
If the oil is an issue a garbage bag properly placed when filling should work.

As far as the engine there's always some risk & those with issues have every right to feel they will repeat. I think Polaris from a financial incentive and the jobs of those involved at Polaris are good reason to assume that they have been agressive at solving the past problems. The recall was done in good faith, they could have skated by fixing those that broke-and it cost Poo millions- a big deal at the Board of Directors level. The same people won't be working for Polaris if there is a repeat.

Last edited:

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
aluminum heat shield

Aluminum is great for conducting heat, but it isn't that great as a heat shield. Ceramic would be much better. Just my 2 cents.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
wow deepdiver i would have no prob buy "beers" for another polaris guy. you ever wana come to montana we could set something up. i think we got the best rideing in the world here.

iam not bashing polaris "sort of" i own one myself best sled i have owned. if i owned a d8 iam sure i would be one of the unluckey guys with problems thats atleast how i look at it. i just think that they shoulda put a little more into getting the older sleds fixed. like the 900s they introduced a new sled then all of a sudden there forgotton about and i feel thats what there doing now but maybe iam wrong maybe iam not.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
hey 440Dart that was a much better and softer approach. If you ge to much more politically correct I will puke! I noticed that no matter what you say someone is giving you bad rep. The whole rep thing is so biased it is often a joke. You either have good info in a post or you dont..the rep is a toy and doesnt reflect the post but more likely the politics.

Keep your chin up and your shoulders back and take no prisoners!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i dont get the whole point of the rep thing anyway i think ive used it once or twice that i can remember of do i get kicked off here if i have negative rep or something:face-icon-small-ton. i dont care what these guys do to me its a harmless typing war, i got tons of negative rep, pms sent to me. I havnt stopped posting about this even with all the people disagreeing, i also feel that i havnt been out debated about this issue at all. all i get for responses is your a moron ur a dumbass or you dont even have a d8. ok you got me on that one i dont have a d8 i guess i lost the debate. iam not here to bash on polaris iam here to help others and myself. i know i will be purchaseing a new sled in a year or so i would really like it to be a polaris i love the handleing of them and my 700 really rips when it wants to run"damn electrical crap" i would like to ride a stong 800 but the looks of that are not in my future if i got through the first 10 pages in the iq section.

basicly the way i look at it were going to repeatily get crapy sleds, hell it dont have to be bullet proof just able to ride it without worrying if your going to make it home or not, for those of you that blow your sled up if there going to warranty it because you put on skin graphics or carisle belt. the whole getting super picky about warranty tells me that there is a problem and its starting to show polaris is loosing there butt on it. just think what are you going to do when warranty is up, there going to be like the 900s atleast around here theres stock piles of them dirt cheap still nobody wants them afraid of blowing the crank or clutch climbing higher on the hill then the sled does

sledsnowco

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2009
colorado
We can sit here and say how great it is, but until its been through production and the motor has countless miles on it with no problems Im not convinced.I really hope the test the piss out of this motor at high elevations.After all it is the rocky mountain king.

M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
i dont get the whole point of the rep thing anyway i think ive used it once or twice that i can remember of do i get kicked off here if i have negative rep or something:face-icon-small-ton. i dont care what these guys do to me its a harmless typing war, i got tons of negative rep, pms sent to me. I havnt stopped posting about this even with all the people disagreeing, i also feel that i havnt been out debated about this issue at all. all i get for responses is your a moron ur a dumbass or you dont even have a d8. ok you got me on that one i dont have a d8 i guess i lost the debate. iam not here to bash on polaris iam here to help others and myself. i know i will be purchaseing a new sled in a year or so i would really like it to be a polaris i love the handleing of them and my 700 really rips when it wants to run"damn electrical crap" i would like to ride a stong 800 but the looks of that are not in my future if i got through the first 10 pages in the iq section.

basicly the way i look at it were going to repeatily get crapy sleds, hell it dont have to be bullet proof just able to ride it without worrying if your going to make it home or not, for those of you that blow your sled up if there going to warranty it because you put on skin graphics or carisle belt. the whole getting super picky about warranty tells me that there is a problem and its starting to show polaris is loosing there butt on it. just think what are you going to do when warranty is up, there going to be like the 900s atleast around here theres stock piles of them dirt cheap still nobody wants them afraid of blowing the crank or clutch climbing higher on the hill then the sled does

Mr 440 dart you are 1 million percent right (does it go that hi). This is a public forum and these Polaris people love to talk about how great their new stuff is and how new and improved it is. Then they do not want you to talk about any problems or it is called bashing. Like I said before, your entire POLARIS gang should be ashamed of youselves over these stupid motor problems. Yea in LA LA land we can wish or pretend this will go away, but just like Toyota tried the LA LA land approach and people died.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Hopefullly Some Light at the end of the tunnel

I like all of you am happy to see polaris finally stepping up,( a couple years late I may add). I owned a 08 800 dragon that was light weighted front and rear, and had the single SLP pipe and clutched. First of all what a fun boondocking and sidehilling chassis but I am a highmaker at heart. And for that it was lacking some serious torque, HP numbers were published but torque numbers were not. Mid hill on a steep climb seperates the exagerated HP sleds from the ones with torque (Ski-DOO). The new sled looks sweet and I hope it climbs as good as it looks, but unless Polaris found some hidden torque out of the existing power plant us highmarkers may be riding a lighter, cooler looking trail sled. Obviously the jury is still out on the verdict, but the numbers do give all that ride polaris some HOPE for a better outcome!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Mr 440 dart you are 1 million percent right (does it go that hi). This is a public forum and these Polaris people love to talk about how great their new stuff is and how new and improved it is. Then they do not want you to talk about any problems or it is called bashing. Like I said before, your entire POLARIS gang should be ashamed of youselves over these stupid motor problems. Yea in LA LA land we can wish or pretend this will go away, but just like Toyota tried the LA LA land approach and people died.

thanks man one of your buddys ride an dragon? just judgeing by the m7username

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
bog

monday called dealer about the bog, they said polaris told them to give the sleds back to customer,as the have no fix .Dealer said to call 1 800 polaris,called and got the walmart greeting lady.What a farce, you can not get a straight answer from polaris.I have bought 9 new sleds,3 lemons #1 1992 ski doo mx (3 pistons in one month) #2 1999 XLT classic ( 2 pistons one week) #3 2009 800 switch.I just would like to get this one fixed so i could enjoy it,instead of waiting to be pulled home.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Anyone know when the rest of the lineup is being released, i sure hope the 600 returns as a 2 injector, then Carl's better get some more guys building 660 kits. I love my 800, its modded, runs like a raped ape now, but as seems the norm, still have gremlins surface time to time. I am interested to see if SLP can shoehorn twins under that bodywork, looks iffy at best. IMHO, for all the issues a guy would be better off with a 660 or 600T and not be that much further in the hole with a more reliable sled.

Premium Features