• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles do you get on your 800

How many miles did you get on your 800 before having major motor issues?

• Total voters

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
My first updated motor went about 100 miles before it went down. Polaris replaced the top end, the VR, ECM, pipe, and reeds after that. I now have 550 miles on my second update, with a PC5, and my pistons still look mint. Very very nice. Compression is at 110 warm, but that seems to be normal with this updated head. No problems other than a snapped steering post, faulty belt that took out everything in sight, and shot rollers in the primary. Actually pretty impressed with the lack of problems this year, compared to last year anyway. Runs good now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OXH10Oae4

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
500 miles broken exhaust valve

750 miles seized piston

1500 miles junk crank and warranty denied on stock motor

Last edited:
I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
My 09 8 went down twice last year. Once due to the ehaust valve falling off and one lean burn down. It went down again at the top of a long hillclimb. The mag side seems to be dead but I havent heard back from my dealer yet. 740 miles last year and only four rides this year. I have a very supportive dealer, but I sure wish that they sold Arctic Cats.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
My 09 8 went down twice last year. Once due to the ehaust valve falling off and one lean burn down. It went down again at the top of a long hillclimb. The mag side seems to be dead but I havent heard back from my dealer yet. 740 miles last year and only four rides this year. I have a very supportive dealer, but I sure wish that they sold Arctic Cats.

TTT for "traveler"

J
Jun 22, 2008
Livermore, CA
WOW!

Sure glad I found this thread/survey before pulling the trigger on a Dragon. :face-icon-small-sho I was seriously thinking about coming back to Poo after defecting (4 RMK's) to Cat & having some Diamond Drive problems with my '07 M1000-

Now it looks like I'm searching for a 2010 M8...

At any rate- How many of you believe you/we/Poo/Doo wouldn't be experiencing 1/2 of these problems if it wasn't for the enviro-nazi's and all their EPA crap? How long until we're all on 4 strokes??

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but please get out & Vote on Tuesday! Our sport depends on it!

-Jeff

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Zero problems with my assault. About 800 miles.

3 other brothers and not any burn down issues. We lost I think 2 egt sensors but we are running race fuel as well.

H
Jul 2, 2010
Awwwwhhhh F*%k!!!! Wish I would've read this last week. Brought my 2010 Assault home Yesterday. It's sittin in the garage with 0 miles on it. Do I even dare to ride it. :face-icon-small-dis Wonder if I can take it back? I'll quit riding before I go back to Yamaha.

H
Jul 2, 2010
Was kinda hoping someone would've alleviated my fears by now with a "Relax hayastusa, the Assault is great. These guys are full of sh:lie: You'll have a blast"

M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
If you only ride like 2 times a year, just enough to break in or a few hundred miles you will be OK. Have fun driving the sled to your dealer for reflashes, complete top ends, stators, ecus, Pipe temp sensors, etc. every time you ride it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Was kinda hoping someone would've alleviated my fears by now with a "Relax hayastusa, the Assault is great. These guys are full of sh:lie: You'll have a blast"

You WILL love it. Given it's updated and PCV installed. I did five motors on mine in 1200 miles. Not to mention it ran like cr-p the whole time. Updated engine and installed a PCV, 800 miles later life is awesome and the sled is absolutely insane!

If you only ride like 2 times a year, just enough to break in or a few hundred miles you will be OK. Have fun driving the sled to your dealer for reflashes, complete top ends, stators, ecus, Pipe temp sensors, etc. every time you ride it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I call pure BS. There are fixes for all those things for less than $500. Making an awesome chassis into an awesome SLED.

M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
You WILL love it. Given it's updated and PCV installed. I did five motors on mine in 1200 miles. Not to mention it ran like cr-p the whole time. Updated engine and installed a PCV, 800 miles later life is awesome and the sled is absolutely insane!

I call pure BS. There are fixes for all those things for less than $500. Making an awesome chassis into an awesome SLED.

Oh I forgot complete motors, broken cranks, defective or overtighten or never adjusted properly oil pumps letting air in oil line (just to let you know not good), idle ajustments, multiple TPS adjustments, you can have zero top ends or I heard of as many as 7. Untrained technicians working on you sled that have never been to any Polaris technical school so they have The Factory trained guy sing the paperwork so they can get paid more per hour for warranty work while you provide the traning for the newbe on your sled. Oh did I mention a new reflash just about every week. But be careful every once in a while they have a bad reflash and the top end goes when ever it feels like it and that is your problem. Be careful there is a lean bog when the injectors go from 2 to 4 and back, so you need to leave it WOT and use the kill switch as a brake. DO NOT put on a fuel controller, they will deny your warranty. Also the dash lights will start flashing first 5 then 4 then 5, somtimes its hard to count how many flashes because you are sooo pissed you can't count to 5 and goes into limp mode or blows a top end when you are 50 miles in the back country. The motor starts spinning around in circles like the head of that girl in the EXCORCIST, you just call GOD to get that resolved. To make it clear just kidding on the motor spinning thing, I think that was from a dream. Also DO NOT add anything to your sled leave it 100% stock. Do not even move a screw to a different spot, do not even add any additional air vents, air cones, anything !!! You guys must agree every sled needs more air if you ride above 10,000 feet or they will deny your special 4 year warranty and pretty much tell you to F@#$ off. There has been soooo many claims Polaris is looking for every excuse to deny your claims. Its prety much chance if your motor will work properly, but when the motor works, the Assult will be the most fun, best handling sled you have owned so far. You will not beleive how it Jumps and is an extension of your body. Now for fuel, I suugest just running race gas @ $10 a gallon then you could be OK.

One more thing, for some reason you can turbo this motor and its reliable as hell, so I hope you have another $6,000 in your pocket for that. That way it will not go down and you will not have to worry about the so called Polaris Factory warranty.

I wish someone would of shared this info with me before I purchased the 2009Assult. Hope I did not forget anything!!!!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
It because your name is m7articcat. That's bad karma. Sorry to hear about all your problems. That would diffidently leave a bad taste. Wish you well for this year on whatever sled you ride!

S
Nov 4, 2010
looking for advice on buying a 2008 800 dragon

gettin back in the game after 5 years, :face-icon-small-shofound a 2008 dragon 800 w/ 600 miles for $6600. stock with only aftermkt vent kit installed. just read alot of posts regarding these sleds, dont know what to do. i cannot afford to fix these things constantly, any ideas??
thanx matt

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Personally, that is too few miles for an '08 - there may be a reason why it doesn't have many miles (like it may have spent lots of time in the shop). Buying an 800 is a calculated risk and not one to be taken lightly unless you're willing/able to fix things yourself if it all goes bad. My suggestion: Find yourself a carbureted 600 and buy it. Simple, very reliable and runs WAY stronger than you would expect.

M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
gettin back in the game after 5 years, :face-icon-small-shofound a 2008 dragon 800 w/ 600 miles for $6600. stock with only aftermkt vent kit installed. just read alot of posts regarding these sleds, dont know what to do. i cannot afford to fix these things constantly, any ideas??
thanx matt

Again Thanks to Snow West for having this site so we can share information like this. I thought it was only me because of some quick log in name I came up with. In my oppinion you can go to any Polaris Dealer as of today and they will tell you that the 08-10 800 CFI is a great motor and there has only been a few problems out there because people over Modify their sleds and they put out this so called update that has fixed all problems. I pray to the snow gods this was true. I hope your sleds are running correctly after this super update , but all it did for me is make more tirps to the Dealer. If you did not have the opportunity to share this type of info you would believe them.

I also would never listen to anybody on what sled to buy and would never tell anyone what sled to buy. I don't care what you ride, the snow is coming, I am jonesing for some pow wow, lets ride!!!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Did you try a PCV? Or some other fuel controller? I agree, without one most of these sleds won't run long. But most of your problems sound like they come from incorrect fueling. Which is easily fixable... A good dealer also makes a HUGE difference. My dealer tried to get everybody he sold an 800 to, to buy a PCV. No warranty issues. It's all in the dealer on a large part.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario

if you believe supertrax these sleds are the greats thing since sliced bread

Stupid fast 800 mill at the top of the 150hp class. Standard e-start and a trail-biased skid calibration package give this sled a new feel and broader appeal. Dragon goodies increase ditch compliance and gymnastic ergo potential. Hauls donkey.
LOWS: It’s heavier than a Ski-Doo 800 and we don’t care.
BOTTOM LINE: This is the max X-Over ride from Polaris and it’s got to be on your short list. Why? The mill is as close to 2-stroke perfection as anything we’ve squeezed. Handling is near perfectly balanced. Linear turn-in with confidence inspiring bite allows you to carry more speed toward the apex. An exceptional snowmobile.

close to 2-stroke perfection,what are they smoking?:face-icon-small-dis

G

gotsnow

Dec 2, 2007
South Dakota
2010 800 dragon

1500 miles, and have not had one problem other then me breaking
some plastic but that was my fault. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Premium Features