• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

protecting the ECU?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

nickk

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2009
Battery or not?

'09 800 Dragon with 2010 update and electric start/big battery.
Lost the voltage regulator and ECM melted yesterday. Battery doesn't help.

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
So can you piggyback a regulator to the regulator? Or can another type be used?

The stock one has 3 yellow inputs, 2 brown gnds., 2 red, and 3 orange wires that run to the ECU.

I would think this would be the answer. Dad is an electrical engineer. I will consult him and post later.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Some good ideas starting to show up here. Relays, surge protectors and an automotive circuit breaker. Time to scour the internet. :D Thanks to you guys who are doing the extra leg work. I think you are going to save quite a few headaches in the long run. :beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
'09 800 Dragon with 2010 update and electric start/big battery.
Lost the voltage regulator and ECM melted yesterday. Battery doesn't help.

The Starter battery is on the Chassis side of the Regulator.... 12vdc. A battery here is electrically separated from the ECU.

The ECU ( 3 orange wires from the Regulator) goes to the ECU and, I believe is 5vdc... this is where a battery would come in handy.

I dont have the pinout on the 800CFi ECU's to figure this out though.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Surge Protection

MountainHorse, Ok a 5 volt battery source but how big off a battery does it need to be? Would a small battery pack like 3 or 4 aa's or aaa's work? or would you need a bigger capacity sized battery to wire in? I have a friend working on some circuit breaker or fuse protection options so I will let you know what he thinks as soon as he gets back in touch.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
MH, why couldnt you hook a capacitor to the 5vdc side thru a diode to eat any extra voltage ?seems to me that might do better then a battery..and with a diode in it it would keep built up current from bleeding back into the system....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Since this is a Regulator AND a Rectifier.... I wonder exactly what is "going" on the Reg/rectifier??

I've also heard that it is a connector problem as well??? (memory is not as good as it used to be)

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Since this is a Regulator AND a Rectifier.... I wonder exactly what is "going" on the Reg/rectifier??

I've also heard that it is a connector problem as well??? (memory is not as good as it used to be)

It sure is nice to have you back MH :beer;
Is it possible the VR from the 900's would work on these sleds? I can get these aftermarket for us.
So, if we were to use a circuit breaker I assume it would be a Bussman. I was checking out that page. Would they be the 5 amp type 1 and would you need 1 for each wire coming out of the VR? I would assume so :rolleyes: , but thought I would ask the question. This seems like the most cost effective and convenient solution so far. Would be a pretty clean mount and not take up much space either.
If we were to run a relay what kind of amperage would be required? Reading more about the relays from MH's info on CFI sleds in the Increasing your IQ sticky I'm not convinced this would work for what we are trying to do.
I'm looking for something that just shuts down the sled when/if :rolleyes: the VR dies. I figure you are getting towed out one way or another. At least that way you save the ECU and your motor.

1racer

Dec 4, 2007
I wonder if the voltage regulators don't have a good enough ground through the wires? Most cars etc. have grounds externally on the engine and to the chassis? Just a thought.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I don't think that the ECU would be drawing any more CURRENT than normal... it is just being fed "dirty" power (not pure DC..this wont trip a breaker), voltage spikes (this won't trip a breaker), or constantly too much voltage(this wont trip a breaker) or a combo of the above.

Monte.... I'm wont be back at the shop for a while... can you post up some good pics of the two different Regulators and look for any mfg. numbers on the aluminum body of the regulator(s).

Last edited:
D
Aug 17, 2008
sherwoodpark alberta
what is the ecu? my motor siced last spring, dealer replaced,put about 400kms it, then took it in for service last week, they played with the tps and droped the voltage, i put about 70 kms on it and it seiced again, on the hill at chapple

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I lost my vr yesterday and it took out the ecu, hopfully with all the guru's around here we can figure out a way to protect the ecu when the regulator goes. My sled is about 5 weeks out of warranty, we will see if polaris still warranties it, it's a 09 d8. My dealer seems pretty confident that polaris will still warranty my sled and my fingers are crossed.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Well, my VR went out today and the ECU started smoking really bad but it still works. All the lights burned out and I'm not sure what else until I dig little deeper. What did happen was that I had slowed down to go around some trees and the engine started to run bad like it was running out of fuel but then it cleaned up, was ok I thought, but that is when I notice a burning smell and shut it right off. Opened the hood and could see smoke coming from around the ECU. The engine will start but the ECU starts smoking, so we just towed it back in. Even though the ECU still works I wonder what damage has been done to it and how long it will last. I will replace it along with the VR together. I'm really hoping that someone will come up with an answer as to why this happening. Like everyone else I worry that this will happen down in some deep hole somtime.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Well, my VR went out today and the ECU started smoking really bad but it still works. All the lights burned out and I'm not sure what else until I dig little deeper. What did happen was that I had slowed down to go around some trees and the engine started to run bad like it was running out of fuel but then it cleaned up, was ok I thought, but that is when I notice a burning smell and shut it right off. Opened the hood and could see smoke coming from around the ECU. The engine will start but the ECU starts smoking, so we just towed it back in. Even though the ECU still works I wonder what damage has been done to it and how long it will last. I will replace it along with the VR together. I'm really hoping that someone will come up with an answer as to why this happening. Like everyone else I worry that this will happen down in some deep hole somtime.

take it to the dealer..it should be warranty..my dealer told me polaris is currently warrantying any ecm/voltage regulator burndowns...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I lost my vr yesterday and it took out the ecu, hopfully with all the guru's around here we can figure out a way to protect the ecu when the regulator goes. My sled is about 5 weeks out of warranty, we will see if polaris still warranties it, it's a 09 d8. My dealer seems pretty confident that polaris will still warranty my sled and my fingers are crossed.

they will..am sure of it...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
ECU = Electronic Control Unit

Seize

The seizure is most likely related to the issues that are being dealt with in the updates
and not the topic of this thread

actually eric..my dealer has had 4-5 seizes directly caused by the Vr..smoking the ecm..actually made them lean up even more....they figured that out on one that was running really bad..had it fired up in the shop with the wrench and some other test going on..it smoked the regulator and ecm right in the shop.....they got to watch all the settings go lean...till it died....

Premium Features