• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>>Official Power Commander V Thread<<< Polaris 800 C.F.I.'s

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
close%20up.jpg

I ordered my Dynojet Power Commander V from Jim C. @ Dynotech Research of Balativa NY a few weeks ago. I also bought the Auto Tune feature.
I installed the PC V and Auto Tune early last week.
I want to dedicate this thread to what target air fuel ratio's people are running, and what custom maps users build. As soon as I get my D8 out on the snow at 7000' I will be happy to share the custom map my tuner builds.

Until then, here is my install guide... so grab a diet mountain dew and enjoy!!!

Here is what I did to install my Auto Tune Feature.

Step 1. Draw power from one of these red wires. I spliced in a lead that has a plug on the end so I can share the auto tune with our other D8. I also put a plug on a ground lead, so sharing the Auto Tune is as simple as unplugging the power and ground wires, pulling the Auto Tune off the Velcro, and pulling out the o2 sensor.

This is after you have plugged the 6 or so colored wires from the o2 sensor into the auto tune module.

A good ground is the bolt under neath the electronic cover near to the screw that holds the side panel on the sled.

electonics.jpg

I stuffed all my wires into this open space under the dash, I zip tied them up accordingly.
IMG_0679.JPG

Next: Install your o2 bung. We had to grind off the ceramic coating in order to TIG weld it.
raw%2002%202.jpg

raw%2002.jpg

It may look ghetto, but it will keep the rust at bay. I used caliper paint which is rated to 500 degrees, but it seems like it is much tougher than that. This will just get me through this season until I can get the whole pipe re-ceramic coated.
o2%20sensor%20paint.jpg

Now to the tuning aspect....

Once you have your PC V plugged into your laptop, open up the Auto Tune option and enable Auto Tune. This will let your Target Air Fuel Ratio's table open up.

I'll get the map print screened up later tonight.
Thanks guys, and lets make this a sweet thread where we can see who's sled is running what fuel curve at that given location.

Last edited:

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Good idea. I just got my PCV this week and I think it's a great idea to have discussion on setup, mapping and overall features of this really cool mod.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) Did use the stock O2 sensor hole in the pipe or do a new one?

2.) There is an analog input on the PCV. Anybody know if the Koso EGT gauges would work here? I was thinking of adding those gauges so that i could do some custom mapping w/o losing my motor so easily.

I'm waiting until after this week to install mine. I'm getting my Polaris 800 update on Thursday.

When you buy the Auto Tune Feature it includes a bung, a plug for the bung when you are not using auto tune, an a Bosch o2 Sensor.
The reason you put a plug in it and pull the o2 sensor is that they have a pretty bad track record on sleds.... extreme hot and cold, vibrations, crap loads of oil and carbon, ect.

I know the analog thing you are talking about, but have no idea if it will work.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I talked with Jim and he told me to make a decent starting map just do it like with the PCIII. I entered -10 from 7000-7250, -15 from 7500-7750 and -10 from 7750 to 8000. I think that is what he used on his initial dyno run last October so I will try this and see what my ratio is at that and I can fine tune the ratios from there.

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Look again you will see he has a powderclaw 153 on his sled.

Nice thread though, really good idea

Hey now this is a power commander thread, so when I read "pc" in your sig I assumed you meant power commander since you commented on the thread and evrything. But now I know, next time I see pc I'll make sure I find the iii or v attached.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Anybody setup the "switch" yet? The PC V can be loaded with two maps. Then you can switch between the two while out in the field (I think). I didn't see that with my setup, so I'm wondering how to achieve this.

If there is the possibility of a switch, then you would have the ability to run a good overall efficient map (from the autotune) and then have a map that is leaned out to squeeze some HP out for short runs (maybe a drag race or hill climb). You would probably need EGT gauges for safety.

Sounds good on paper right?

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
I work at Dynojet Research doing testing and development on the snowmobile products. I think this is a great topic and I would like to help answer some of your questions about autotune on the Polaris snowmobiles.

This question was posted in another thread but quoted and moved here by Harry Smith 500

2.) There is an analog input on the PCV. Anybody know if the Koso EGT gauges would work here? I was thinking of adding those gauges so that I could do some custom mapping w/o losing my motor so easily.

There is an analog input on the PC V this is generally used for a temperature or boost input. If you use it for temperature you can configure autotune to not start until the engine reaches a specified temperature. If you are doing a boosted application you can input boost and add fuel as a function of boost.

Anybody setup the "switch" yet? The PC V can be loaded with two maps. Then you can switch between the two while out in the field (I think). I didn't see that with my setup, so I'm wondering how to achieve this.

You can use a map switch with the PC V to switch between two maps. You can purchase a toggle switch from us that mounts on your handle bars or buy a toggle switch from the hardware store. The instructions on how to install this switch are on the second page of the Power Commander install guide.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
Another thing I would like to mention is that autotune is a tuning tool. Some people seem to think it is a set it and forget it solution to all of their tuning problems, I would like to remove that misconception now.

We have done lots of testing with this and plan on doing more throughout the season. It is very useful to build maps and creates fuel trims for you, but I still check plugs and/or piston wash to confirm the tune. Occasionally I find myself doing some manual tuning or blending of the trims that are created by autotune, especially in the problem areas like exhaust valve openings where the A/F ratio can change rapidly.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Thanks for jumping in Scarter. Have you guys done specific tuning/testing with the 800 CFI?

Also, I haven't been able to find the map switch price on the DynoJet website. How much is that add on?

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Thanks for the great post, I will be looking into the PC-V for my sled. You have made it look real simple, great pic's and info. Looking forward to hear more as we all get on the snow.

If you do a pc V only, install is as simple as pulling off the electronics cover, unplugging in stock ecu plug, then plugging the stock plug into thr power commander. Then take to power commander ecu plug and plug that into your ecu. I installed my in 4 minutes.

Enjoy!!

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
So I can have a map for 0 to 3000 feet and run the engine safely with good power. Then hit my switch when I go to 5000 to 11000 feet and run the engine without burning it up and still have good power? Is it that easy or is there a higher risk of cooking the engine or it running like crap?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So I can have a map for 0 to 3000 feet and run the engine safely with good power. Then hit my switch when I go to 5000 to 11000 feet and run the engine without burning it up and still have good power? Is it that easy or is there a higher risk of cooking the engine or it running like crap?

That's the way I understand it (but I'm not confirming it!). I'm not sure about the time difference for one map to become the other map. I mean...I'm not sure how long it takes for the fuel changes to be effective so that you are not burning down going from a lean map to one with more fuel mixture.

I'd like to be able to drag race or take a hill climb run. Then on my way back down or after the drag, turn to the richer map to prevent any burn down (same as running your choke in a lean carb setup).

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
You will find that our products are less sensitive to elevation and temperature changes.

When adding or subtracting fuel we always base it off a percentage of what the ECU is supplying. So if the ECU decreases fuel as you go up in altitude your changes in our box also decrease.

Some of the other controllers add a fixed amount of fuel to the end of what the ECU is supplying. When you go up in altitude the ECU decreases the amount of fuel to the engine but the amount that you added stays the same. This is when you have problems and have to retune.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
The map switch is great for running a performance map and a safer map. The change is instant when you hit the switch, you can do it while you are running.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
My biggest concern is burning the engine down. If I can run a map that gives me performance and still safe for the engine, I am all in. I hate blowing crap up or not being reliable. Yes I worry, sorry.

Premium Features