• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST: One way to increase the speed of SnoWest!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Over the last couple days several users have reported that by moving from Microsoft Internet Explorer over to Mozilla Firefox they saw MASSIVE increases on overall forum speed.

We confirmed this report with FIREFOX and now know WHY it is working so much faster than Internet Explorer.

Firefox has a different implimentation of the JavaScript processor in it, and it is doing a MUCH BETTER JOB on processing the data stream coming from the SnoWest server. by processing the JavaScript faster, it is able to display the forum pages faster, and reduce your wait time.

I am going to send out a PM to all members advising them that if they are suffering from any slowdowns that they go here and seriously consider downloading and installing FireFox as an alternate browser.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html?from=getfirefox

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
OR, you could get rid of that stupid shout bar, and limit image size in a thread, stop attaching images and only link to them, limit avatar and signiture sizes. It's a forum yet it looks more like an ad page out of the local paper most of the time, adds a needed I get that but get rid of the animation and run linked picture adds and it speeds it up as well.

Make just as much differance. You want thousands of people to change when 1 person screwed the forums up even after most people said leave it alone. I know you said you were being forced so I get that but it just screw the site up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You want thousands of people to change.
Nope.
I neither want, nor am asking, anyone to change.
I just want to be sure people know there is a potential solution to a problem they are complaining about.

Whether or not they choose to use it is entirely up to them.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It is running SLOWER than it has in the past. Other forums run fine, SNOWEST sight has become more cumbersome.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only viable longterm solution is for us to buy new servers.

But given the current "Challenging Financial Conditions" of the industry as a whole, right now I am looking for any solutions that might help tide some of the members over until we can get a budget for the new servers.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I am going to send out a PM to all members advising them that if they are suffering from any slowdowns that they go here and seriously consider downloading and installing FireFox as an alternate browser.

In general I would think that you would want to tailor the website to fit the browsers of the users rather than having the users tailor their browsers for the website. :confused:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree 100%
The solution is the generous application of money to buy new high speed servers.

Given that money is tight at the moment, I am just letting you know there is something you can do at the moment.

FireFox is simply FASTER than internet explorer for the time being.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I disagree, forum speeds are a direct result of there content. Things like attaching images rather then linking them to a host, attachments take up server spacer. Forum add ons also affect page load speed. Those bars in our avatar area, and the shout bar at the top for example, not only affect the data base on the server but the load times on the page.

Forums software is meant to be simple on purpose, you start adding "trinkets" and it slows things down. This is already a very clean and useful layout, it just needs to stay that way. Trying to reduce the size of your header graffix is another way to make the forum fast, not based on how long it takes to load out here but how long it takes to transmit the requested data off a server you seem to think is already taxed. Speed is a two way street, trust me I deal with band width shaping everyday in voip aplications.

You would be surprised what can be done.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Then for you the solution is to disable all the extra features.

There are those who prefer a bone stock factory sled.

And there are others who like to MOD them.

The choice is your's.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I like it clean....

untitled.jpg

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Just a suggestion but have you tried temporarily disabling the shoutbox for a day or too to see if server load goes down. I know they can place a big load and slow down servers on vb, it's worth a shot imo.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Very Slow

I rarely get on the 4M anymore because it is a pain. I tried to look at sleds For Sale the other day and got discouraged and quit after looking at half a dozen pages. Way too slow. I really don't want to download another browser on my computer just to look at SW. My older 'puter is taxed enough as it is, and no I'm not gonna get a new one anytime soon. Also, the shout box is a pain in the ^%. I use a scroll type mouse, and when I scroll down on the page it hits the shout box and has to scroll through all of it before it continues on down the page. That's what twitter is for, so get rid of it. Until this place gets cleaned up, I'm not gonna be on here much.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I get a lot of MIXED comments on the PMs I send out.
Some are very positive, others complain loudly no matter what is in them.

I think I could send out $100 Bills, and there would be people that complain about it! :)

Premium Features