• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 and 09 Dragon 8 owners news.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Has anyone heard what the news is that is coming out to all current owners of Dragon 8's? Have heard from several sources that we will be receiving some kind of news in the next couple weeks. Sorry for repeat of question, I accidently posted this in another thread.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Ya I heard..........Guess there's some kind of problem with the pistons or something??????

Sorry, I had to. EW

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Heard from a dealer (owner) they had a meeting w/ polaris where prob was admitted and a recall will be out for all 800 cfi's, new top ends, but not what we've been getting.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I suppose they need to get it right since they dropped the best motor Polaris ever has had (700) and now everyone will have to choose the 600 or 800 in 2010. Should have just kept the 700 and kept increasing it instead of going down the 800 road again. (Thought they would have learned with the 800's of yesteryear.)

Hope for you guys that have the 8's get them all dialed in. I know I would be tapping my feet waiting for something if I was in that boat.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Should have just kept the 700 and kept increasing it instead of going down the 800 road again.

I agree the 700 CFI is the best motor Po has built (I had one). But I seem to remember when everyone biotched that Polaris didn't have an 800. Giving up on it is not how you stay successful in an industry that begs for horsepower. If they make the fix and the motors become reliable, then Polaris will have a stout 800 IMO. I have one and I love it. I'm just nervous. The problem seems to be electrical for the most part. Easier to fix than scraping the motor and starting over.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I agree the 700 CFI is the best motor Po has built (I had one). But I seem to remember when everyone biotched that Polaris didn't have an 800. Giving up on it is not how you stay successful in an industry that begs for horsepower. If they make the fix and the motors become reliable, then Polaris will have a stout 800 IMO. I have one and I love it. I'm just nervous. The problem seems to be electrical for the most part. Easier to fix than scraping the motor and starting over.

I agree with the electrical issues, as I have had them. There is another problem that I have found in the last few weeks and have verified. The fuel pickups have a small "bleeder" hole in the check valve that prevent them from completely closing when they are above the fuel level. I have tested 2 different fuel pump assemblies and they start aerating the fuel after 9-10 seconds once completely above fuel level. This has also been verified with a wideband while climbing. The aerated fuel leans out the motor enough to score the pistons if the pull is long enough. I want to know why the bleeder hole needs to be in both pickups. I think that if that hole was eliminated in the front pickup, this reason for burndowns could be eliminated.

To add, the 9-10 seconds is in free flow mode. Obviously with the injectors in a closed loop and depending on fuel flow, the times to aeration are going to vary.

Last edited:

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
They put mine back together again and this time found that my exhaust temp sensor constantly reads 300. :rolleyes:

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I was told today that the fix just arrived at the EPA and that it will take 3 months to get it through there...

I dont know exactly what that means....

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
My 09 D8 has 1020 miles on it, all this talk has me so paranoid that I mixed oil with my gas for the last 500 miles (I don’t know if it would make any difference). I also kept my 03 Escape as a back up. I haven’t had a single problem except for the ice on the driver’s thing but I found that if I tip it on its side and spin the track clears it immediately.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I rode today with the new fuel pump and pickup assembly, it is no different than the old one, which is exactly as I had expected. Once again, after getting down to a @1/2 tank, it would start going lean on long steep climbs. Having the wideband O2 has been an eye opening experience. You can hit a long hill and all of a sudden it willgo from 12.5 to 15, 16, 17 to 1 and keep going higher. I tried to let off and turn out ASAP when this happened. This is absolutely positively one of the reasons for sleds going down. I have seen this over and over on the last 3 days of riding with the wideband hooked up.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
if the brainiacs at the factory were smart they would hook a sled up to as many sensors as thgey could to find these issues along with others, no they let us do it:mad:

but if they get it right know for those of us that spent the coin it will go a long way for there client base, one happy customer tells 5 one angry customer tells 15:light:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Don't you think from the get go they have been trying everything to find and fix it all along. I understand that the management team in Medina absolutly suchs but the folks in Roseau are top of the line. We had an issue with an09 600 rmk , poor performance and they had us on the phone with Spirit Lake where they were working on one and with Roseau where they had one too and after serveral of these calls and assighning different tasks the problem was solved and from it a service bullitin sent out, This fuel pick up is very interesting and of course would never show up on a dyno where they use the dyno's fuel sorce. Remember no failures from guys using pc3's or the turbo ones so the EPA is instumental in this factory fix

Premium Features