• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Our Forum Has Shrunk...Again

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I see a Boyeson advertisement has shrunk our forum again. Just when the winter season approaches we loose viewing area again. I thought paid members weren't going to have to deal with all the Ad's?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yah, it is crap. Don't purchase items that are taking up our paid viewing space, enough people make it clear that we feel this way maybe they will stop this.
Maybe my membership this year will go towards a larger monitor.........

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Posting/complaining about this in the past has gotten us nowhere in terms of results.
Everyone do this, if it bothers you, as I just did: Click on the Boyesen ad, when you get to their website, find the "contact" button on top and let them know what you think of it!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Heh, I just did a lil something something and just about got blown out my seat! The words are HUUUUUUUGE! Lol. simple-adblock.com
Nothing strange so far except I don't have to lean towards my screen to read the forum any more!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FYI.
Your forums are expanding.
We are making some structural changes to both the forum itself and how the ads are displayed.

Net result will be a SMALLER total footprint with MORE space for forum content from left to right across your screen.!

Previously the Minimum display width on SnoWest was 1,440 pixels across.

The new Minimum will be below 1,200

This should make viewing easier for everyone.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Sorry Christopher, mine shrank. I have to scroll down just to get past the huge ads on the top. It's a mess!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The cheif complaint was the WIDTH of the forum.
It had been getting WIDER and WIDER over time.
We moved around some of the ads from the Right side column to the top of the screen. This made it NARROWER so it will now display better on tablets.

It also made it taller, but considering the forums have always been VERTICALLY oriented, it really shouldn't have made much difference.

Even on my 30" screen I still have to SCROLL DOWN to see all of the forums.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
The cheif complaint was the WIDTH of the forum.
It had been getting WIDER and WIDER over time.
We moved around some of the ads from the Right side column to the top of the screen. This made it NARROWER so it will now display better on tablets.

It also made it taller, but considering the forums have always been VERTICALLY oriented, it really shouldn't have made much difference.

Even on my 30" screen I still have to SCROLL DOWN to see all of the forums.

I use a tablet often. I prefer to use it horizontally, and with all the ads on top, I have to scroll just to see the first post.

There is another forum I visit a lot. I really like the way it fits on my screens and it also has a very cool feature, a small section shows the most recent classified ads to anyone who visits the main page. Check it out: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php

I really do feel that when we pay for content, it would be nice to not have such huge ads in the way. What can you do to make more enjoyable for those who have paid the price?

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I thought for the most part that I was see more ads and very little forum because I mostly mess around with this forum on my ipad. I took a screen shot today after posting to a thread on my big computer with a 26" screen.

It just seems that even though there are too many ads and pop up polls for my taste, there is also lots of wasted space used up in layout. I think you folks have lost touch with what made this site a good one.

Pretty isn't always efficient!

snowest.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features