• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help! 2007 RMK electrical issue

B
Mar 14, 2009
Ok everyone I need some help. I purchased a used 07 RMK 600 last summer and have done a bunch of stuff to it. It has new handlebars, aftermarket thottle block, pipe, can, lefty, and bumper. This is the issue that I am having.

The sled rips no problems with running. What is happening is the guage cuts out when I give it the thottle, and the headlight is really dim. At ide the guage comes back on, but cuts out periodically. Handwarmers don't work either.

What I am thinking is there a common ground somewhere that is loose, or the voltage regulator, but I am not sure. Any ideas?

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Some of these machines had an issue with the grip warmers shorting out on the bars. The fix for this was to put a couple wraps of electrical tape on the bars under the warmer contacts. You should try to unplug your warmers and see if your problems go away. Good luck!!

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
X2 both answers
I had problems with the voltage regulator and had symptoms like gauges didn't work at idle, headlights dim and heavy to start. In the end I got a flash in gauges and headlight and the sled just died. In the end (as I've mentioned in other posts here) it was the resistor in connection with the regulator that was the culprit, this opened up for a high current in to the regulator, killing this witch in the end fried my ECU.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You got some good feedback. Just remember that the electronics is a continous loop. So if you get a break on the ground or any part of the system (like the grip warmers) you could see the voltage breaking up.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Wife's 07 RMK 600 had a problem with the speedo/gauge cluster going blank.Was intermittent,sometimes worked sometimes not:confused:.Compared wiring to my friends 07 and we noticed the wiring to the power valves was touching the Y-pipe,shorting out all gauges and hand warmers.

Her sled was an early build(made in May of 06)maybe some one didn't route the wires right.
Hope this helps someone else:)
Pete

B
Mar 14, 2009
Well it looks like it was the left handwarmer shorting out on the handlebars. Little bit of electrical tape and done deal. Thanks Clay Hale, and Trenchmaster for leading me to the problem without tearing the whole sled apart.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Glad to hear that was the problem. I had to replace the ac/dc converter on mine. If you ever have to do this, save yourself some time, the new one will mount on the clutch guard, just unplug the old one, and leave it where it is. It rivits to the top of the bulkhead. Removing it is a real PITA.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Well it looks like it was the left handwarmer shorting out on the handlebars. Little bit of electrical tape and done deal. Thanks Clay Hale, and Trenchmaster for leading me to the problem without tearing the whole sled apart.

Glad to hear you got it figured out, my wifes sled was doing the same thing when new and the tape under the heaters fixed it right up.

Premium Features