• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electronic Odometer reset possible?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, a bit of a strange question.

Has anyone heard of a way to reset the odometer (not the trip meter) on the Dragon electronic gauge? I looked at a sled that seems to have really low miles for the condition it's in. Of course it could have just been disconnected, but it got me to wondering if there is someway to reset the odometer.

sled_guy

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Bought the wife's 07 in spring of 07 and I was concerned about the mileage(less than 200),seemed too low to me.Sled was super clean,it turned out the guy liked to drink/do other things more than ride.

If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Could the speedo have been replaced under warranty due to failure?Dealer or 1-800 Polaris customer service # will be able to run VIN # and give you more info.
Compression test and your gut feeling should be your best advice.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Run the VIN# is your best bet. Can easily be disconnected or run without it as it is easy to change out.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
They probly ran the sled without the hood i do that sometimes when its a hot day. also do what all the other members said do a vin check polaris can tell you whats up :)

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i was always under the impression that the ecu still kept track of miles even if the guage was disconected. the only way the speedo should quit keeping track is if a) the bolt/gear that threads into the drive shaft on the pto side has been removed, or b) if the hall effect sensor has gone bad. if you want you can PM me your Vin#'s and i can run them and see if anything has been changed on the machine with polaris's knowledge to, but the only things that get posted to a vin number are warranty and bulletin items

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
i was always under the impression that the ecu still kept track of miles even if the guage was disconected. the only way the speedo should quit keeping track is if a) the bolt/gear that threads into the drive shaft on the pto side has been removed, or b) if the hall effect sensor has gone bad. if you want you can PM me your Vin#'s and i can run them and see if anything has been changed on the machine with polaris's knowledge to, but the only things that get posted to a vin number are warranty and bulletin items

Not the case, mileage is in the speedo itself, my '08 now has 1700+ instead of the 6600 it should show. :eek:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Check the hours maybe? Although if someone replaced the gauge then that would be reset too. If it is like with cars, then they dealer is supposed to set the miles back to original... but you can buy used gauges off wrecked sleds. Checking dealer maintenance history would be the best route... and if they didn't buy it new, possibly title records. MT does not track mileage on sled titles though, not sure about other states.

If the sled blew a belt, it could have taken the wires to the drive shaft sensor out... I have seen that...

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This is why I think sleds use should be measured in hours like boats and watercraft, and it should be logged on the ECU or something.

I'm thinkin' hours are logged in the ECU but I can't be sure yet. Hours are a funny thing. I've got like 47 hours on my 09 but I have only 950 miles on it.

Sep 6, 2009
That makes sense, must sleds have about 20-25 miles per hour average.
And I do believe that the ECU keeps track of hours, have a 900 A/C with no speedometer, but connected to ECU and found out it had 1800 hours on it.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Hours are kept on the Speedo/tach as well on these, not the ECU. Speedometers/tachs, ECU's, everything is replaceable. Dealer/warranty logs are the only way to sorta keep track.

Premium Features